Gapless Not Happening with Amazon Unlimited (help?)

Could someone explain to me what the big deal with gapless is?
What's so important about gapless that everyone has to have it lately.

As I am sure you are aware, on certain albums there are no gaps between tracks and the music may be continuous without interruption. I think it needs to play as the artist intended it to play.

Also, personally, I get annoyed when there are large gaps.

There are many albums without interruptions between the individual tracks, especially in the areas of classical music (operas!) or live concerts. These should sound like a single track when played. If this doesn't work, it completely destroys the enjoyment of the music.

Ok, I think I understand you, it's just that in all my years in this hobby, I have never considered it a issue.

Ok, I think I understand you, it's just that in all my years in this hobby, I have never considered it a issue.
For example, how would you feel if the WiiM app generated a 1 second gap in operation? Wouldn't you be annoyed if you had to wait an extra second every time you tapped the screen?

However, I would not be surprised if some people do not care about the existence of gaps.

In my opinion, gaps generated by devices are inherently non-existent. It is a function to discard unnecessary garbage. 🙂

In my opinion, gaps generated by devices are inherently non-existent.
There really should be no interruptions when playing back the recording. The individual tracks are basically just a convenience function of the record label so that individual songs can still be consciously selected. That's why gapless playback is so tricky. The streamer must know that this album is to be played gaplessly, even though it consists of many individual tracks.
If this doesn't work properly, it makes an opera recording, for example, completely unenjoyable. When switching from one aria to the next, the orchestra continues to play in the background. And that's why there must under no circumstances be a cut at this point!

@audiobliss: Pink Floyd has good examples to understand what gapless playing means an how important it is.

Try the album "The Dark Side Of The Moon". For example: At the end of the first track (Speak To Me) you can hear a helicopter. This sound blends over to the second track (Breath) without any interruption. At the end of "Breath" the final chord flows seamlessly into the beginning of the next track "On The Run".

Once you have heard this you will understand how important gapless playback is for the functioning of this kind of sound art. Regardless of whether you like Pink Floyd music or not. I suppose it is a bit age-dependent (says the older man ;-) )

That's why gapless playback is so tricky. The streamer must know that this album is to be played gaplessly, even though it consists of many individual tracks.
There's no way to know if an album is gapless - assuming we're talking about a lossless source here. A streamer will play everything gaplessly, maybe even across albums.

You guys are correct, I have never played any of those albums. Since the Motown days faded away, I have been strictly jazz.

Back