Horrible pop noise! ... Is it safe to set "Sample rate switch latency" to 1000ms?

Wiimer

Major Contributor
View attachment VID_20230427_113414.mp4

Last night I encountered a terrible event.

I enjoy music on my WiiM mini in the temporary time before bedtime.

However, I was completely woken up by the sound of a huge explosion on the WiiM mini. Perhaps my heart was half stopped.

Today, I connected the WiiM mini and Pro to two DACs to determine the cause.

Tested recordings from Amazon Music
Every time you go away - Lennon Stella(16/44.1)
LOVE - Jhené Aiko(24/96)

[Combinations that generate noise]
Mini >(Opt)> SMSL M200 (AK4497EQ*1)
Pro >(Opt)> SMSL M200

[Combination that does not generate noise]
Mini >(Opt)> Topping D30 Pro (CS43198*4)
Pro >(Opt)> Topping D30 PRO
Pro >(Coax)> YAMAHA RX-A780 AVR (Burr-Brown)

We are aware that noise tends to occur between songs with different sampling rates. This noise is very loud, and noise does not always occur under the same conditions.

Q1, Is the M200 DAC the cause of the huge noise?

Setting "Sample rate switch latency" to 1000ms in WHA reduces noise. However, the noise does not disappear completely.

Q2: Is it safer to set the "Sample rate switch latency" to 1000ms for WiiM Pro connected to Topping D30 PRO?

I'm not sure how to use "Sample rate switch latency".

Q3, Is there a disadvantage to setting it to 1000ms if there is no noise?

I uploaded a video to submit a ticket to the support team.

Please forgive my poor English.
Thanks in advance.

This switch adds a delay between turning off the output port and turning it on again, it happens when song sample rate changes for example.

This switch adds a delay between turning off the output port and turning it on again, it happens when song sample rate changes for example.

Thank you.

I received the same explanation from the support team. I generally understood.

However, if I remember correctly, the M200 DAC didn't make a lot of noise before. Probably after the "Sample rate switch latency" feature was implemented.

Thank you.

I received the same explanation from the support team. I generally understood.

However, if I remember correctly, the M200 DAC didn't make a lot of noise before. Probably after the "Sample rate switch latency" feature was implemented.
All I can see in your movie is that it's related to the sample rate switching which requires turning the port off/on. Can you record the behavior when no delay is set and when the delay is set to maximum?

The video was recorded with the setting to 0ms. I got the same pop sound at 900ms, so now I'm setting it to 1000ms. At 1000ms, only a small pop sound can be heard.

Also, even if you switch the same song, there are times when there is no pop sound.

Thank you.

Maybe your DAC would require a delay slightly longer than 1 s? No idea though why you didn't face the issue before.

I don't know, but anyway, this is the first time I've experienced such a roaring sound. I used the M200 when I bought the mini and there was no problem.

The support team told me to use it at 1000ms. At first they said 0ms was ok in version 4.6.514848, but that's not the case.

I don't want to experience fear in the midnight anymore, so I give up the M200 and AUX OUT to the amplifier:eek:

As always, thanks for your help;)

Back