My WiiM Pro Plus (+) tests

both machines look similar, and the protocols substantially the same ( rme, cosmos, rew-multitones etc)
Not quite. ;) I mostly use RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE (+ Cosmos APU) as an ADC, not only the ADI-2 DAC as a digital recorder. Besides, my Cosmos (second) ADC is Grade B and my tests (others than Multitone, jitter, THD VS Frequency) are done at 44.1kHz. But yeah, both my sample and the one from @onlyoneme seem to perform pretty much identical.

Plots comparison of THD for -3 dBFS and -12 dBFS sweep signals, quite interesting:

1690724023443.png

I have a question. If I upgrade my dac from the internal to an external such as Wiim pro plus will I improve the SNR of my integrated amplifier?

@VintageFlanker By looking at the IMD SMPTE graph it seems that at 60hz and 7khz the imd is audible . Do I understand it correctly?
hihi
it doesn't work like that..
to my knowledge you listen to a signal a little more complicated than smpte, dual tones...
;-))))
but rest assured, in the state, is still better side distortions to measure under 1k than the pro ...
just, quite far from this thd-n value displayed at 1k...
;-)

Last edited:
I have kept myself out of this debate.
I trust my ears not what someone tells me measures better.
I find it enlightening that those that insist on measuring things hardly ever appear in the “I’m listening to” thread.
Remember. Primarily it’s about the music
This is a forum about Wiim products and what people are listening to is generally irrelevant. It is not a form of social media!

We tested it in our lab and shared our results with AKM engineers. Their initial feedback is they haven't done this test for their DAC IC. However, the test number looks normal to them. We'll test more DACs and share our results with them for reference. We'll keep the team posted. Thank you!
for this behavior in thd under 1k (see overall) ... can be just a story impact of the choice of filter ...
can be to observe..?
see offer the different filters via wiim home ...?
was not suggested by akm when you interviewed them?
;-)

Last edited:
This is a forum about Wiim products and what people are listening to is generally irrelevant. It is not a form of social media!
If you don’t like What are you……..you are not obliged to participate.
Let others do what they like. And…music is related to WiiM😫

Part 6 - ADC performance:

Analog in - digital out:

ADI-2 will generate a reference analog signal and E1DA Cosmos ADC will work as the reference ADC.
Due to the features of the RME DAC, audio chain for testing the Pro Plus ADC can be quite simple :
REW (PC USB out) > ADI-2 USB in > ADI-2 analog out > Pro Plus analog in > Pro Plus toslink out > ADI-2 toslink in > ADI-2 USB out > REW (PC USB in)

Resolution of the ADC is controlled by the relevant digital output settings of the Pro Plus. The maximum allowed resolution of 192 kHz / 24 bit will be used. For all the devices left channel via RCA output will be measured.

The Pro Plus is presented first with measurements results.

For some reason the ADC output bit depth is limited to 16 bit regardless of the resolution settings. This value is reported by ADI-2 on its digital input.

Edit: 4.8.524946 FW has solved 16 bit output bug.

Idle noise:

1690829753756.png
1690829551560.png1690829574402.png

THD vs signal level for sine 1k:

Maximum input voltage level here is 2.296 Vrms.

1690829884426.png

At 1.824 Vrms the noise level stays stable.

1690830216269.png
1690830315432.png1690830432688.png

Above this level is starts to rise. At 2.071 Vrms a signal clips a lot.

1690830695793.png

A signal gain which results in the level close to 1.824 Vrms will be used for following measurements.

IMD SMPTE:

1690831013431.png
1690831308639.png1690831359675.png

IMD CCIF:

1690831490356.png
1690831560340.png1690831576860.png

Multitone:

1690831823966.png

Although the declared bit depth of the ADC is up to 24 bits, the real performance seems to be below the CD level.

Analog in - analog out:

Performance on the analog output is very similar to the digital output, as the DAC is obviously limited by ADC, therefore just one multitone measurement:

1690832532387.png

Edit:

I forgot about THD vs frequency plot. Analog in to digital out, the same 1.824 Vrms voltage level, 192 kHz:

1690882060745.png

Last edited:
@onlyoneme ,

Do you plan to test PEQ once it is added to WiiM?
(Mainly the effect of PEQ on sound quality)

Thanks in advance.

Fun content added ;)
To me the first 1_x was problematic, especially in the drums section.
Could not tell a big difference between 1_y and 1_z...but I didn't invest a ton of time into it.
Just curious to read the rest of the thread and see if "the truth" was revealed...but committing before finding out :D.
I would say that 1_x is the "worse measuring" version of the wiim product...the "non pro +" ...whatever version you used there (mini or "old pro").

P.S. later edit. I've only shortly listened to the second 1A upload...so that's what I'm referring to here.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised at all ;)

Probably no one cares, or almost no one, but it will take a few days for the truth to come.
I care ... for the sake of science and the sake of my rapidly declining hearing :D.
Just realized I can't hear much around and above 16 khz :p.

Interestingly I tried on a different player in a different setup and couldn't find the same problems...so hopefully it's not VLC that was causing the issue in play earlier.
Anyway, I'll listen more carefully when I get the chance...and also give more attention to the other sections of the track.
If I can't hear the problems with RME Adi 2 DAC + Audeze LCD X or Senn HD 800S...when I get home, then it's probably time to stop buying expensive gear! :D

Back