Is the WiiM Mini completely sufficient?

LucAce

Do I need more than the WiiM Mini if I only want to stream (optical out) music from the NAS and via Spotify Connect? Do the Pro or Ultra have any advantages in this case, apart from the nice screen perhaps?

Which media server?
There are Plex integrations due that may or may not make it to the Mini.

The mini does not have Chromecast. The mini does not have coaxial. The mini is a little less powerful, so it tends to be a tiny bit slower, and it can't do room correction. Mini doesn't have ethernet. Mini doesn't have Roon readiness.

None of these things are killers. But they might all be bonuses you take advantage of at some point in the future. You can find a 2nd hand WiiM Pro now on eBay for just a bit more than a brand new mini. I would go Pro.

Last edited:
The mini is a little less powerful, so it tends to be a tiny bit slower
What do you mean by slower? It’s not anything I’ve noticed between my Mini and my Ultra, for example.

But I would agree to start with a Pro given its increased connectivity, features set and capacity for further enhancements.

What do you mean by slower? It’s not anything I’ve noticed between my Mini and my Ultra, for example.

But I would agree to start with a Pro given its increased connectivity, features set and capacity for further enhancements.
The WiiM app feels less responsive to me. Time from press to music playing is a tiny bit longer.

Do I need more than the WiiM Mini if I only want to stream (optical out) music from the NAS and via Spotify Connect? Do the Pro or Ultra have any advantages in this case, apart from the nice screen perhaps?
The only knock on the mini and It’s a small one. No Ethernet. I like a hardwired connection. But other than that. All good.

it can't do room correction.
It can without any problem. Auto function is only auto, nothing in fact needed for room correction and nothing specially important. Auto is only some additional point of start for further tweaking.

Room correction itself can be done in mini the same way - by peq with external measurement app. As I did in ultra - without even using auto.

Only limitation is that there is no EQ per L/R speakers in mini.

Besides that, what is most important difference in ultra is lfe port with bass management - useful also in case of external dac. If someone is using or is planning to use sub.

Also, ultra itself is a nas. Separate nas would be not needed.

(other main differences are mainly Chromecast and input ports like hdmi, optic, line in. But spotify and external nas support would be the same).

I started with a Mini. It’s an excellent product.

Getting one would help you understand the entire product range without much financial commitment. If you discover that one of the other products was a better fit, then you could use the Mini elsewhere or sell it.

For a little bit more money, I would get the pro as it get more feature sets on future update and avoid being obsolete sooner than later.

Back