Is there a sense of buying streamer ?

EddieMurphy

I have audiolab 7000a, samsung tv app Spotify and iphone.

Guys, is there a sense of buying Wiim pro/ultra? Now i mainly listen on Spotify from tv hdmi arc ? Is it worth to upgrade from Spotify to tidal high res + lose picture from tv with artist name , song name etc

Btw I can still use Wiim streamer + picture from tv with Spotify at the same time, but it does not work with tidal.

And other question:
my tv is like Wiim streamer because I can change songs using my Spotify app from the phone? Does tv works like Wiim for example mini and it using amp dac not tv? It does not have tidal connect, just Spotify (via using tv app)

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The Ultra’s biggest flaw is the lack of HDMI-out for a playscreen on a TV. If you mostly use Spotify I would stay with your current setup.

The Ultra’s biggest flaw is the lack of HDMI-out for a playscreen on a TV. If you mostly use Spotify I would stay with your current setup.
I think there is no need for hdmi out for playscreen from TV. It works without it:
I can still open Spotify app on tv , connect to Wiim pro and play on it. I will have picture on the tv (it just will say that currently playing on Wiim pro not on this tv)
But is there a reason to stream Spotify from wiim? I think tv hdmi arc is capable of this , it is up to 1mb/sec.

I think there is no need for hdmi out for playscreen from TV. It works without it:
I can still open Spotify app on tv , connect to Wiim pro and play on it. I will have picture on the tv (it just will say that currently playing on Wiim pro not on this tv)
But is there a reason to stream Spotify from wiim? I think tv hdmi arc is capable of this , it is up to 1mb/sec.
With the HDMI-out you would get that playscreen with Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, local files in WiiM-app etc. Now you need to have a TV with the same app on it, like you have Spotify on yours.

Spotify is lossy no matter what, so I dont think you loose any quality with using TV and ARC. TV are probably converting 16/44,1khz to 16/48khz but I doubt you will hear much difference 👍🏻

With the HDMI-out you would get that playscreen with Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, local files in WiiM-app etc. Now you need to have a TV with the same app on it, like you have Spotify on yours.

Spotify is lossy no matter what, so I dont think you loose any quality with using TV and ARC. TV are probably converting 16/44,1khz to 16/48khz but I doubt you will hear much difference 👍🏻
Yes, you are right. Because now tidal removed their app(which was very bad comparing to Spotify) from Samsung tvs.
On Audiolab amp it shows pcm 48khz via hdmi arc

Using a TV for audio playback :/ bleh

Probably not even bit perfect not supporting replaygain.

I don't have a wiim, but I do have squeezeboxes and audio playback interface on the TV is lousy, so is Kodi music playback.

Yes it's cool having massive screen for album info but using couple of hundred watts for that, and poor quality player?

Gimme squeezeboxes and LMS anyday

My guess is also that a streamer is currently redundant for your specific application (unless you experience issues with for example gapless playback on Spotify or stutters with your TV operating system or app).
No, it works just perfect.
Using a TV for audio playback :/ bleh

Probably not even bit perfect not supporting replaygain.

I don't have a wiim, but I do have squeezeboxes and audio playback interface on the TV is lousy, so is Kodi music playback.

Yes it's cool having massive screen for album info but using couple of hundred watts for that, and poor quality player?

Gimme squeezeboxes and LMS anyday
Spotify App works very good, I can use my phone for changing songs etc. What wrong with using tv? This is because it cannot play high res like tidal without a streamer? Looks like tv is capable of 16/48khz. Is there a must to listen on tidal, because sound quality is way better? I also watching music videos on YouTube using tv(like most of us does), so in this case we are all suffering low sound quality?

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just being a snob, but using a TV as a streamer as just...wrong. Just get a Wiim Pro, use digital out, it's great experience having dedicated streamer.

I don't even have a Wiim so not hyping them up, I have a much older streamer and it's leagues better than using the TV, AVR, or Kodi box

Maybe I'm just being a snob, but using a TV as a streamer as just...wrong. Just get a Wiim Pro, use digital out, it's great experience having dedicated streamer.

I don't even have a Wiim so not hyping them up, I have a much older streamer and it's leagues better than using the TV, AVR, or Kodi box
TV+hdmi-arc to a good dac/amp is not bad :) Been doing this to my nad c3050 for a while but realized with the dac on wiim ultra what an upgrade it was.

TV+hdmi-arc to a good dac/amp is not bad :) Been doing this to my nad c3050 for a while but realized with the dac on wiim ultra what an upgrade it was.
On my Audiolab 7000a there is the same dac as in wiim ultra.
Looks like wiim also has such feature as room correction. Maybe with using tidal high res it could be better rather than Spotify.

If Spotify releases high res it can solve all my problems - I will be able to stream high res and have picture on tv at the same time 😄 but looks like it will not happen in the future

Last edited:
Looks like wiim also has such feature as room correction. Maybe with using tidal high res it could be useful rather than Spotify.

If Spotify releases high res it can solve all my problems - I will be able to stream high res and have picture on tv at the same time 😄 but looks like it will not happen in the future
I moved from spotify a long time ago in favor to tidal. Cant see any reason to use spotify. More clutter, worse sound, less to the artists, similar price. Tidal got a great google app for tv and also music videos.

FYI

You can control streaming service on your phone and cast the screen to tv. That works well enough and doesn't require hdmi out (which would be a better option).
do you mean screen mirror? This is via airplay, which is not good
I moved from spotify a long time ago in favor to tidal. Cant see any reason to use spotify. More clutter, worse sound, less to the artists, similar price. Tidal got a great google app for tv and also music videos.
Unfortunately, I am using Samsung tv and tidal app was recently removed from store. App was horrible.
About tidal I heard quite opposite. That people are using Spotify to search for the music and then listen it on tidal for better quality

I finally dumped Spotify after several years when I realised I hardly ever used it compared to Tidal. Money down the digital drain mainly because of my inertia 😁. Also, I do like the video tracks in Tidal.

@rccarguy
Just watched Darko video about streaming from tv.
He says he cannot hear difference between tv and expensive nad m10 streamer(you can get 6x wiim ultra for its price)
4:33

Last edited:
If your TV has Chromecast capabilities, you will get a very decent on-screen display from Tidal, including lyrics. No native TV app is needed.

Looks like wiim also has such feature as room correction. Maybe with using tidal high res it could be better rather than Spotify.

Spotify never gonna release anything but 320 Kbit compressed material . I switched to TIDAL and the sound is better , more definition.

A switch to TIDAL is more important for soundquality than buying a WiiM ultra

To me people use Spotify prefer more of customization, podcast and simplicity rather than sound quality. Buying ultra or pro will not enhanced your listening experience because your music source is lossy. It will just get you convenient. If you want to elevate your listening experience, invest on ultra with high quality amp and speakers. Plus stream on loseless like tidal, Amazon and qoboz. I do not listen music with tv on.

Back