Is there a sense of buying streamer ?

It's not that complicated. For local music, you just need a music service. Let it scan the music. Then the Wiim connects to this music service, and you can browse your music.

How easy or difficult you want it, is up to you. A NAS with music service is the easiest, as that is all in one box that stores your music and is the music server.

I just moved the music server to another box (Pi) for various reasons.

If Wiim produced a server/streamer all in one for affordable price, they'll clear up. Ideally 2.5" and 3.5" HDD storage.

Also for you to have local music of your own music, you would need to rip and encode your own music. DBpoweramp is probably the easiest to use, that'll do both, and encode to lossless flac. It'll read in your CD's, download tag information (artist, album, track number, track title, genre etc)
All this LMS and info about local playback dont make sense when he has said multiple of times that he only use Tidal and Spotify.

Roon is fine if someone would like to combine local library and streamingservices like Tidal/Qobuz. But when you only use Tidal/Spotify its better with a Connect-solution. Maybe you can use the Xiaomi only for display, but I dont know so try to Google it 👍🏻

All this LMS and info about local playback dont make sense when he has said multiple of times that he only use Tidal and Spotify.

Roon is fine if someone would like to combine local library and streamingservices like Tidal/Qobuz. But when you only use Tidal/Spotify its better with a Connect-solution. Maybe you can use the Xiaomi only for display, but I dont know so try to Google it 👍🏻

Perhaps he doesn't even know a audio streamer plays back local music. If he's got a CD collection why not rip/encode.

Perhaps he doesn't even know an audio streamer plays back local music. If he's got a CD collection why not rip/encode.
xd. Why I should know that :) Very small percent of people actually need their own library with music on hdd/server etc in the world where high res streaming services exist.
I also don’t understand what benefits it will give you if you play high res file from tidal vs your laboratory with own servers / own internet / own electricity plant? Can you name them?

xd. Why I should know that :) Very small percent of people actually need their own library with music on hdd/server etc in the world where streaming services exist.
I also don’t understand what benefit it will give you if you play high res file from tidal vs your laboratory with own servers / own internet / own electricity plant? Can you name them?

Because it's your own music collection, from cd. A tangible thing not just online radio stations.

No internet connection is needed also.

Not relying on paid subscription service also.

Because it's your own music collection, from cd. A tangible thing not just online radio stations.

So the only benefit is that you don’t have to pay for streaming service? In my country we have offer for 2 usd = 1 year of tidal
For me this is also disadvantage because you cannot play song which is not in your library + have to download/find all music somewhere in good quality.
Why in this case I need a streamer if I can plug hdd directly to Audiolab amp without a streamer???

Not being forced to listen to the latest compressed remaster 🤣

So the only benefit is that you don’t have to pay for streaming service? In my country we have offer for 2 usd = 1 year of tidal
For me this is also disadvantage because you cannot play song which is not in your library + have to download/find all music somewhere in good quality.
Why in this case I need a streamer if I can plug hdd directly to Audiolab amp without a streamer???
$2 for a year of Tidal? Where are you?

Poland. This is special offer from phone operator. You are buying phone sim card for 10zl, register it, get 12 month to your current account, throwing this sim into trashcan and enjoy tidal for 12 month.
Yep, this is insane I agree

Poland. This is special offer from phone operator. You are buying phone sim card for 10zl, register it, get 12 month to your current account, throwing this sim into trashcan and enjoy tidal for 12 month.
Yep, this is insane I agree
OK it's the kind of thing phone operators do to get your business 👍

Also without subscription you have nothing. Apart from free radio stations .

If I buy a cd I get home rip and encode it then it's on my Nas, so any audio streamer in the house can play that album. Plus if I damage the cd or fire I have copy.

Just made a backup of my Nas music to pile of hard drives in case if hd failure.

No, it has not.
Maybe I can buy Xiaomi mi box to have android apps like tidal ? Maybe you know if it will work, if I stream tidal to Wiim it also we will visible on tv screen using Xiaomi mi box?

I have audiolab 7000a amp and Dali opticon 2 mk2 speakers. How spotify works on tv blows my mind in sound quality.
Tidal works brilliantly on Fire TV - especially good for video tracks. It works independently from Tidal on Wiim.
Connecting Wiim display to a TV via LMS is possible but rather complex to set up as it depends on running a browser on the TV box - none of the set top tv boxes have decent browsers, so the results are a bit iffy.

You all forget that after ripping CDs (assumes you have a PC with attached CD reader) you then have to store the files somewhere - more expense & configuration issues in setting up a NAS. Little wonder most just go with a streaming service.

You all forget that after ripping CDs (assumes you have a PC with attached CD reader) you then have to store the files somewhere - more expense & configuration issues in setting up a NAS. Little wonder most just go with a streaming service.

One hard drive can store thousands of albums. Granted a Nas isn't cheap especially if you want multi bay and intel cpu for roon server

This is mainly a philosophical question.

As long as you are fully aware of and accept the fact that the subscription to whatever music service does not grant you any rights to the music you might have been able to stream just yesterday, go ahead.

And it's not just about the money. There is also no guarantee that your favourite artist's music will be available in the future.

If you don't care about all this there is no reason Tu build a local storage.

One hard drive can store thousands of albums. Granted a Nas isn't cheap especially if you want multi bay and intel cpu for roon server
Roon? That's another 150 bucks a year just to get started. Plus 500 for a NAS/roon server,. Why not just play the actual cd? And who actually has the need to store 1000s of albums - 99‰ of which will be available on Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer or Spotify?

I have audiolab 7000a, samsung tv app Spotify and iphone.

Guys, is there a sense of buying Wiim pro/ultra? Now i mainly listen on Spotify from tv hdmi arc ? Is it worth to upgrade from Spotify to tidal high res + lose picture from tv with artist name , song name etc

Btw I can still use Wiim streamer + picture from tv with Spotify at the same time, but it does not work with tidal.

And other question:
my tv is like Wiim streamer because I can change songs using my Spotify app from the phone? Does tv works like Wiim for example mini and it using amp dac not tv? It does not have tidal connect, just Spotify (via using tv app)
I love my WiiM Ultra.. and I love the quality of the Tidal music.. listening to 192k 48bit is amazing, simple and maybe even better (I have 60 year old ears).

I can tell you the Amps and Speakers are where you really want to invest carefully.

Avahifi amps (NP1) are amazing
Philharmonicaudio (BMR bookshelf) speakers best bang for buck.

I am just a "pleased as punch" customer of these two providers. Value and actual humans to work with. No commissions here just grateful and want others to experience these if possible.

Jeff

Roon? That's another 150 bucks a year just to get started. Plus 500 for a NAS/roon server,. Why not just play the actual cd? And who actually has the need to store 1000s of albums - 99‰ of which will be available on Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer or Spotify?

My LMS music server service is free. Nas stores more than just music. Videos, software, photos etc

Why would I pay for music rental service?

And who actually has the need to store 1000s of albums - 99‰ of which will be available on Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer or Spotify?
Those who don't subscribe to Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer or Spotify. Those who download live bootlegs. Those who don't have an internet connection.

I love my WiiM Ultra.. and I love the quality of the Tidal music.. listening to 192k 48bit is amazing, simple and maybe even better (I have 60 year old ears).

I can tell you the Amps and Speakers are where you really want to invest carefully.

Avahifi amps (NP1) are amazing
Philharmonicaudio (BMR bookshelf) speakers best bang for buck.

I am just a "pleased as punch" customer of these two providers. Value and actual humans to work with. No commissions here just grateful and want others to experience these if possible.

Jeff
How many 48 bit files do Tidal have then?

Back