Is there a sense of buying streamer ?

Spotify never gonna release anything but 320 Kbit compressed material . I switched to TIDAL and the sound is better , more definition.

A switch to TIDAL is more important for soundquality than buying a WiiM ultra
Once you listen to loseless stream there’s no going back to lossy Spotify.

Well....in blind tests few people can discern any difference between a 320 lossy stream and lossless content. Pretty well established.
True, there are still many that has golden ears. Many of these people would listen to thousands of songs so they would not know what has changed. I only listen to few song about 5 for the last 30 years. I listen to those 5 songs repeatedly many times over in a day.

True, there are still many that has golden ears. Many of these people would listen to thousands of songs so they would not know what has changed. I only listen to few song about 5 for the last 30 years. I listen to those 5 songs repeatedly many times over in a day.
Dark Side of the Moon? :)

Kind of agree. Wiim ultra doesn't make sense (same DAC as 7000a and tv provides you a screen and no airplay(if important to you)).

Pro makes sense if you don't want tv on or want to use dlna (home music share in wiim app) to stream from local server (TVs often support this too...but again if you don't want tv on...).

Pro is what I run with my 7000a it's a great combo.

Otherwise wiim pro worth it for
- PEQ
- room correction and
- airplay if you're apple user.

7000a Bluetooth Apt X hd is also very good so if you're on android you can run Spotify without tv on and no Wiim that way.

@rccarguy
Just watched Darko video about streaming from tv.
He says he cannot hear difference between tv and expensive nad m10 streamer(you can get 6x wiim ultra for its price)
4:33

I can tell when cd is resampled to 48khz as my android TV box does. Switched to corelec and that doesn't neither does squeezebox

Last edited:
If your TV has Chromecast capabilities, you will get a very decent on-screen display from Tidal, including lyrics. No native TV app is needed.
No, it has not.
Maybe I can buy Xiaomi mi box to have android apps like tidal ? Maybe you know if it will work, if I stream tidal to Wiim it also we will visible on tv screen using Xiaomi mi box?
To me people use Spotify prefer more of customization, podcast and simplicity rather than sound quality. Buying ultra or pro will not enhanced your listening experience because your music source is lossy. It will just get you convenient. If you want to elevate your listening experience, invest on ultra with high quality amp and speakers. Plus stream on loseless like tidal, Amazon and qoboz. I do not listen music with tv on.
I have audiolab 7000a amp and Dali opticon 2 mk2 speakers. How spotify works on tv blows my mind in sound quality.

Thank you guys for your time and answers.

Ordered ultra today for the test. Let see how it works with tidal and do I really need it. Maybe I will just get Wiim pro or not getting the streamer :)
Otherwise looks there is a still option to somehow stream tidal on Wiim and at the same time have picture on the tv, but I need to uderstand how to do this…

No, it has not.
Maybe I can buy Xiaomi mi box to have android apps like tidal ? Maybe you know if it will work, if I stream tidal to Wiim it also we will visible on tv screen using Xiaomi mi box?

I have audiolab 7000a amp and Dali opticon 2 mk2 speakers. How spotify works on tv blows my mind in sound quality.

android boxes resample. I tested this myself between booting from stock android OS to coreelac/kodi. My av pre shows 44.1khz for squeezebox/coreelec, but 48khz under android.

The built in music scanner in kodi isn't great either. I do like the large information screen, but having a TV on during playback is stupid. Screenburn and power consumption, plus wearing out TV for a static image. I might have music playing all day, why would I want my TV to be on all day as well, using 150W, burning in text to the screen, and wearing out the TV?

Best to use video streamers just for video, and a dedicated audio streamer just for audio.

android boxes resample. I tested this myself between booting from stock android OS to coreelac/kodi. My av pre shows 44.1khz for squeezebox/coreelec, but 48khz under android.

The built in music scanner in kodi isn't great either. I do like the large information screen, but having a TV on during playback is stupid. Screenburn and power consumption, plus wearing out TV for a static image. I might have music playing all day, why would I want my TV to be on all day as well, using 150W, burning in text to the screen, and wearing out the TV?

Best to use video streamers just for video, and a dedicated audio streamer just for audio.
This is not oled tv, there is no screen burn, power consumption is also not that big. A lot people(even Darko) prefer to have information on the screen, sometimes I can open lyrics etc. 48khz under android? So it is the same I have now with tizen os. Tv is literally made to show information on the screen, so not sure what I am doing wrong in your opinion…

Last edited:
Mine is OLED, so yes screenburn, and far more power consumption than a audio streamer, 5W versus 150-200W say. Yes information on screen is cool I guess, the kodi music scraper does retrieve a lot of info, from pictures of the band/artist, detailed info, lyrics, cover art etc. So does the plugin for LMS server, it's just not on a big TV- but get a 10" tablet and it's plenty.

Plus in theory a large glass screen is not great for hifi (audio reflections off the glass) so in a dedicated hifi it's best not to have a TV.

Yup Android resamples to 48khz for CD audio I tested it myself. 1) Amlogic box under Android, loading up Kodi 2) Core elac 3) Squeezebox

So I wouldn't use a video streamer as primary music source. I've scanned my music to it, (had choice of pointing to the UPNP service or using it's own scanner, I did the latter) just for the sake of it but I don't use it for that.

Playing back a CD rip, 16 bit 44.1khz, for 1) it was 44.1khz 48khz, and 2 and 3 was 16 bit 44.1khz. I could tell the difference. Harder on the ears.

Plus the music UI controller is MUCH better than the one on the TV/Kodi box. I really don't like UPNP/DLNA, LMS is much better. you could also say a information is a distraction, rather than just listening to the music.

If you have a samsung it will resample to 48khz, it's not great. Darko must have cloth ears then. I think when he was talking about a subject about something (maybe subwoofers or audiophile cable/filter stuff?) he was talking utter nonsense.

Mine is OLED, so yes screenburn, and far more power consumption than a audio streamer, 5W versus 150-200W say. Yes information on screen is cool I guess, the kodi music scraper does retrieve a lot of info, from pictures of the band/artist, detailed info, lyrics, cover art etc. So does the plugin for LMS server, it's just not on a big TV- but get a 10" tablet and it's plenty.

Plus in theory a large glass screen is not great for hifi (audio reflections off the glass) so in a dedicated hifi it's best not to have a TV.

Yup Android resamples to 48khz for CD audio I tested it myself. 1) Amlogic box under Android, loading up Kodi 2) Core elac 3) Squeezebox

So I wouldn't use a video streamer as primary music source. I've scanned my music to it, (had choice of pointing to the UPNP service or using it's own scanner, I did the latter) just for the sake of it but I don't use it for that.

Playing back a CD rip, 16 bit 44.1khz, for 1) it was 44.1khz 48khz, and 2 and 3 was 16 bit 44.1khz. I could tell the difference. Harder on the ears.

Plus the music UI controller is MUCH better than the one on the TV/Kodi box. I really don't like UPNP/DLNA, LMS is much better. you could also say a information is a distraction, rather than just listening to the music.

If you have a samsung it will resample to 48khz, it's not great. Darko must have cloth ears then. I think when he was talking about a subject about something (maybe subwoofers or audiophile cable/filter stuff?) he was talking utter nonsense.
Which TV do you have that uses 200W. Mine is only 32 inch but uses around 26W.

65" OLED. Either way it's more than a audio streamer
Yes , it is. But if you want visuals you need to pay for them. If tv consumes that much and this is problem, maybe the best option is to sell it.
Also good idea to buy d class amplifier instead of a a/b for less power consumption, and small speakers and also listen on low volume and not to use much electricity or better not to listen at all 😀

Yes , it is. But if you want visuals you need to pay for them. If tv consumes that much and this is problem, maybe the best option is to sell it.
Also good idea to buy d class amplifier instead of a a/b for less power consumption, and small speakers and also listen on low volume and not to use much electricity or better not to listen at all

sell oled for QLED? Ummm nope.. Small speakers will need more power from the amplifier btw. And sell my stack of class A/B for D? NAH

Since you bought a Wiim I would recommend installing LMS on NAS/PC/PI. You will need a music service somewhere. Unless you just use USB HD and navigate by folder (it can work but it's basic, and you're not getting benefit of music database system)

I use a Pi5 with picoreplayer as a server. Music is on a NAS

sell oled for QLED? Ummm nope.. Small speakers will need more power from the amplifier btw. And sell my stack of class A/B for D? NAH

Since you bought a Wiim I would recommend installing LMS on NAS/PC/PI. You will need a music service somewhere. Unless you just use USB HD and navigate by folder (it can work but it's basic, and you're not getting benefit of music database system)

I use a Pi5 with picoreplayer as a server. Music is on a NAS
Maybe you are right, because I am paying for electricity a lot. Maybe it also caused by air conditioning + a lot of Govee LEDs which were working almost all day + tv .

Do you mean installing server for audio like roon or something? I am complete zero in this, not sure if this really makes difference between streaming from tidal / streaming tidal from roon with server etc

Maybe you are right, because I am paying for electricity a lot. Maybe it also caused by air conditioning + a lot of Govee LEDs which were working almost all day + tv .

Do you mean installing server for audio like roon or something? I am complete zero in this, not sure if this really makes difference between streaming from tidal / streaming tidal from roon with server etc

Audio streamers have the following

1) Music subscription service
2) Free radio
3) Local music on NAS/USB stick etc.
4) Cloud music (access your music on your NAS anywhere in the world)

I don't use roon as it's something like £800 and you need roon certified products, and a PC/Intel NAS.
If you have a NAS it'll have a service which scans your music and video files. Any audio streamer/video streamer can then connect to that and play audio/video either through TV interface or app control

My system is a Raspberry Pi5

with picoreplayer installed

Configure it, tell it where your local music is, let it do it's scanning

When the Pi5 boots up, my audio streamers connect to the Pi5 service, and in Windows you see this
And on a tablet you see this (Material skin)

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2F7hXYYQfX%2Fkensal.png&hash=aa4aaa6ad654af017623b345d9637272

Then entire local music is able to selected from phone/tablet/PC, to each streamer, or to any PC/AVR/TV

LMS reads in coverart, saves them to the database, retrieves lyric info, band info etc

Other music scanners do this, some less, some more. Roon I believe integrates local music and subscription service, so as I understand it if you search for "Blondie" it'll show your own albums plus ones that are streaming from various stations.

Wiims support UPNP/DNLA and LMS/softsqueeze so you can use LMS- or other servers like minimserver etc.

Audio streamers have the following

1) Music subscription service
2) Free radio
3) Local music on NAS/USB stick etc.
4) Cloud music (access your music on your NAS anywhere in the world)

I don't use roon as it's something like £800 and you need roon certified products, and a PC/Intel NAS.
If you have a NAS it'll have a service which scans your music and video files. Any audio streamer/video streamer can then connect to that and play audio/video either through TV interface or app control

My system is a Raspberry Pi5

with picoreplayer installed

Configure it, tell it where your local music is, let it do it's scanning

When the Pi5 boots up, my audio streamers connect to the Pi5 service, and in Windows you see this
And on a tablet you see this (Material skin)

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2F7hXYYQfX%2Fkensal.png&hash=aa4aaa6ad654af017623b345d9637272

Then entire local music is able to selected from phone/tablet/PC, to each streamer, or to any PC/AVR/TV

LMS reads in coverart, saves them to the database, retrieves lyric info, band info etc

Other music scanners do this, some less, some more. Roon I believe integrates local music and subscription service, so as I understand it if you search for "Blondie" it'll show your own albums plus ones that are streaming from various stations.

Wiims support UPNP/DNLA and LMS/softsqueeze so you can use LMS- or other servers like minimserver etc.
Wow this is too complicated for me. Could you please advice what it gives to end user vs just listening on wiim ultra + tidal ?
What are the advantages of doing all this?

It's not that complicated. For local music, you just need a music service. Let it scan the music. Then the Wiim connects to this music service, and you can browse your music.

How easy or difficult you want it, is up to you. A NAS with music service is the easiest, as that is all in one box that stores your music and is the music server.

I just moved the music server to another box (Pi) for various reasons.

If Wiim produced a server/streamer all in one for affordable price, they'll clear up. Ideally 2.5" and 3.5" HDD storage.

Also for you to have local music of your own music, you would need to rip and encode your own music. DBpoweramp is probably the easiest to use, that'll do both, and encode to lossless flac. It'll read in your CD's, download tag information (artist, album, track number, track title, genre etc)

Back