Is there a sense of buying streamer ?

My LMS music server service is free. Nas stores more than just music. Videos, software, photos etc

Why would I pay for music rental service?
LMS beats Roon hands down.
But, a service like Tidal gives access to music which would cost much more on physical media to replicate. I use both Tidal and CDs.

Another plus for Tidal on Fire TV or Google TV are the video tracks - check out The Who My Generation Live at Shepperton - worth the monthly sub. alone for this classic 😁

I know there are people who love their carefully created and curated (with all the tagging business, etc) 1000 item collections - good luck to them. I don't have the inclination or patience and ocd tendencies to go down that route - others can make a better fist at it than I could - 10 bucks a month seems good value to me.

My own personal opinion is that Roon is unnecessary given LMS - Provides more features at minimal cost & initial outlay. I can play audio to a range of endpoints (eg. Chromecast. Upnp. Sonos, Airplay, Bluetooth speakers/headphones, and play from CD player, streamer services, podcasts and 1000s of radio stations.

I apologize, my eyes were bigger than my bitrate. 24 bit at 192k was the reference.
It's possibly true that ears past 14 years old can't hear the difference, other schools of thought say, everything impacts everything, so I simply figure having a system that tries to use more, just in case, is a system I want to invest into the future. Sonos limited my playback choices, that's one of the reasons I focused on the WiiM Ultra.

Sorry about the 48 bit reference. Maybe next year.

Jeff

Thank you guys all for the answers and support.

Ultra is arriving on wednesday. I will test it with tidal and decide what to do. There are 4 options:

1) i am returning ultra and staying on spotify + tv as a streamer

2) i am returning ultra and buying used wiim pro

3) i am staying with ultra.

4) i am returning ultra and buying wiim pro. Then i will wait on discounts on wiim ultra or look on some used ones for cheaper price and then sell pro :D

I know there are people who love their carefully created and curated (with all the tagging business, etc) 1000 item collections - good luck to them. I don't have the inclination or patience and ocd tendencies to go down that route - others can make a better fist at it than I could - 10 bucks a month seems good value to me.

My own personal opinion is that Roon is unnecessary given LMS - Provides more features at minimal cost & initial outlay. I can play audio to a range of endpoints (eg. Chromecast. Upnp. Sonos, Airplay, Bluetooth speakers/headphones, and play from CD player, streamer services, podcasts and 1000s of radio stations.

Once you have parameters set in ripper/encoder you don't have to do much, it'll place them in the correct location, directory etc, retrieve CDDB info. Use foobar for replaygain scanning, and albumart downloader for batch album art.

Rip five albums a night and your collection is ripped, you don't need to do it again, you've got it in lossless. If you've got space it's worth doing a copy of lossy ie ogg, or just do a copy whenever needed to car/portable use.

Once you have parameters set in ripper/encoder you don't have to do much, it'll place them in the correct location, directory etc, retrieve CDDB info. Use foobar for replaygain scanning, and albumart downloader for batch album art.

Rip five albums a night and your collection is ripped, you don't need to do it again, you've got it in lossless. If you've got space it's worth doing a copy of lossy ie ogg, or just do a copy whenever needed to car/portable use.
I can see the point if you don't want or have a music streamer subscription. I have maybe 30 CDs ripped years ago on a memory stick, contains wrong tags, missing artwork. Can't be bothered to fix it 😁. Hardly ever access it. I still prefer to play the original CDs if I feel inclined to be nostalgic😋.

Horses for courses, I guess.

I can see the point if you don't want or have a music streamer subscription. I have maybe 30 CDs ripped years ago on a memory stick, contains wrong tags, missing artwork. Can't be bothered to fix it 😁. Hardly ever access it. I still prefer to play the original CDs if I feel inclined to be nostalgic😋.

Horses for courses, I guess.
It makes sense for anyone who has CDs but doesn't want them cluttering up the living room. If you only have 30 I suppose it doesn't matter but even my mother had more than that 🤣. If you want to listen to Genesis on streaming services you are stuck with the much derided remasters I believe.

Back