Its arrived...(UK)

Modecorp

My Ultra arrived yesterday at my local Sevenoaks Audio & Vision store and I picked it up this morning. Connected directly to my Rotel RA-04 via AUX and RCA connected my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo via the phono input, and my even more ageing Rotel RCD-856 CD player via Line In. This is all after I removed the Macbook Pro-into-SMSL SU1 DAC I was using to stream music.

Setup took around 10 mins including wifi connection and software update, room correction routine using my phone and the remote and Alexa/Spotify Connect integration. The unit has an unexpectedly nice weight to it and the fit and finish seems up there.

Know its not the most logical setup with it plugged into an integrated amp, but it works for now and my initial thoughts are I'm liking the sound. Streaming from Spotify sounds as good as the laptop-into-SMSL but I'll be experimenting over the next few weeks but introducing the DAC back into it all as comparison. No huge lag to speak of when it comes to screen responsiveness and track selection (it is there though), and for the money, I'm liking the touchscreen and flexibility. I'm also using Dance as the EQ preset which for me and the music I listen to, seems to add just enough body. Not tried Bluetooth yet but am sure its going to be as expected.

The phono stage sounds like its doing a good job with Beck's Hyperspace sounding pretty epic at decent volume.

One thing I cant for the life of me find is the VU meter! I've been through all the menu's but its so far eluded me, so if anybody knows, do let me know.

Attachments

• WiimUltra.jpg
    WiimUltra.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4209.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 38
My Ultra arrived yesterday at my local Sevenoaks Audio & Vision store and I picked it up this morning. Connected directly to my Rotel RA-04 via AUX and RCA connected my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo via the phono input, and my even more ageing Rotel RCD-856 CD player via Line In. This is all after I removed the Macbook Pro-into-SMSL SU1 DAC I was using to stream music.

Setup took around 10 mins including wifi connection and software update, room correction routine using my phone and the remote and Alexa/Spotify Connect integration. The unit has an unexpectedly nice weight to it and the fit and finish seems up there.

Know its not the most logical setup with it plugged into an integrated amp, but it works for now and my initial thoughts are I'm liking the sound. Streaming from Spotify sounds as good as the laptop-into-SMSL but I'll be experimenting over the next few weeks but introducing the DAC back into it all as comparison. No huge lag to speak of when it comes to screen responsiveness and track selection (it is there though), and for the money, I'm liking the touchscreen and flexibility. I'm also using Dance as the EQ preset which for me and the music I listen to, seems to add just enough body. Not tried Bluetooth yet but am sure its going to be as expected.

The phono stage sounds like its doing a good job with Beck's Hyperspace sounding pretty epic at decent volume.

One thing I cant for the life of me find is the VU meter! I've been through all the menu's but its so far eluded me, so if anybody knows, do let me know.
You can't use Room Correction and the Dance EQ preset at the same time.

You can't use Room Correction and the Dance EQ preset at the same time.
And that's something that really has to change in the future.

Not so much for myself, but I accept that RC and sound preferences really do serve different purposes.

And that's something that really has to change in the future.

Not so much for myself, but I accept that RC and sound preferences really do serve different purposes.
Maybe choosing your own target curve will come in the future.

Maybe choosing your own target curve will come in the future.
Certainly something to look out for, but still not the same thing. I want RC to (primarily) deal with effects caused by room modes. I want the applied, no matter if I'm listening to the news, enjoying a symphony, playing a live rock concert or watching an action movie. But I might prefer a different "sounding" or "voicing" of the system depending on the programme material. So, applying GEQ presets on top of PEQ RC sounds like the easiest solution to me.

Lyngdorf actually call these sound profiles "voicings" and allow them to be configured using very flexible PEQ filters. GEQ would be OK from my point of view, though.

Small update. Although I don't use Apple Music or Airplay much, I'm interested to find a simple solution for those that are also early adopters and want to try too.

I bought a 3rd Gen Apple TV from eBay for £15 as it has the optical out. Set the Apple TV up on a TV screen (obviously!), and have now added to the optical in on the Ultra.

Currently I'm not able to find it on Airplay though, even though its powered on and connected with the Ultra's mode set to Optical. Its on the exact same network as my phone, and both Apple TV and phone are running the latest software.

Work in progress.

Small update. Although I don't use Apple Music or Airplay much, I'm interested to find a simple solution for those that are also early adopters and want to try too.

I bought a 3rd Gen Apple TV from eBay for £15 as it has the optical out. Set the Apple TV up on a TV screen (obviously!), and have now added to the optical in on the Ultra.

Currently I'm not able to find it on Airplay though, even though its powered on and connected with the Ultra's mode set to Optical. Its on the exact same network as my phone, and both Apple TV and phone are running the latest software.

Work in progress.
I'm currently experimenting with an old Apple TV box. Model number A1378, which I think makes it a gen2.

I've only been testing it today, but no problems so far in getting music sent via airplay out of the optical connection. My iPhone and MacBook see the ATV box as any other airplay device.

I held off buying an ultra because of the airplay situation. If this continues to work as it has been, I'll be putting an order in....

I'm currently experimenting with an old Apple TV box. Model number A1378, which I think makes it a gen2.

I've only been testing it today, but no problems so far in getting music sent via airplay out of the optical connection. My iPhone and MacBook see the ATV box as any other airplay device.

I held off buying an ultra because of the airplay situation. If this continues to work as it has been, I'll be putting an order in....
Do you have photos of the Apple TV connections at the back? Straight optical out Apple TV to optical input Wiim, right?

Do you have photos of the Apple TV connections at the back? Straight optical out Apple TV to optical input Wiim, right?
Currently ATV optical out straight into Yamaha AV receiver. An ultra will be on the way if it carries on working as it has been today.

EDIT: Gen 2 Apple TV boxes are seemingly available for around £10 in the UK. If this works reliably (and it has so far), we might have a very inexpensive ultra/airplay workaround.

Currently ATV optical out straight into Yamaha AV receiver. An ultra will be on the way if it carries on working as it has been today.
Curious why people are buying the ultra then working ways to use AirPlay 2 on it
As it’s a lossy format why not buy a cheaper WiiM that has AirPlay
Forgive my ignorance if asking a stupid question 😊

Curious why people are buying the ultra then working ways to use AirPlay 2 on it
As it’s a lossy format why not buy a cheaper WiiM that has AirPlay
Forgive my ignorance if asking a stupid question 😊
As per my post on another thread - if you have Apple devices and Apple Music, airplay is very convenient.

As per my post on another thread - if you have Apple devices and Apple Music, airplay is very convenient.
Ok I get that as an Apple user myself however I don’t use airplay or Apple Music myself prefer Qobuz
But why pay extra for a device that doesn’t support what you need?

Ok I get that as an Apple user myself however I don’t use airplay or Apple Music myself prefer Qobuz
But why pay extra for a device that doesn’t support what you need?
The whole family use Apple Music via a family subscription. I simply don't want to pay for two music subscriptions, and having tried all the major streaming services, preferred AM to Qobuz and Tidal. Which is a shame, since the latter two play nicely with Roon and AM obviously doesn't.

AirPort Express later versions can be got cheap and has Airplay 2 with optical out is another good option

Last edited:
Picture for you @ModecorpView attachment 10155
Same as mine except I dont have the HDMI wired out to anything. Setting up the Apple TV on my home TV to setup, then trying to use without screen on my Ultra. So far though I cant locate the Apple TV from my phone - even on the home TV (?) so resetting as a new device and tryign again. Note to those that will probably say it - I dont need Airplay. Im just curious and have a cheap Apple TV around so experimenting!

Back