Its arrived...(UK)

Same as mine except I dont have the HDMI wired out to anything. Setting up the Apple TV on my home TV to setup, then trying to use without screen on my Ultra. So far though I cant locate the Apple TV from my phone - even on the home TV (?) so resetting as a new device and tryign again. Note to those that will probably say it - I dont need Airplay. Im just curious and have a cheap Apple TV around so experimenting!
I also only had the HDMI connected for setup. I just removed it and the audio continues to play via the optical. Another photo for you - see the bottom of the screenshot

IMG_2952.jpeg

@Modecorp - your issue seems to be more with airplay rather than optical output. Hope these aren't numpty questions - but:
Question 1 - Have you got the ATV box properly setup for airplay? I've had three ATV boxes over the years, and the initial airplay setup hasn't been easy on any of them
Question 2 - Have you tested any other apps on the ATV box to see if they'll use the optical output?

Last edited:
Just in case anyone's interested, I've been streaming Apple Music and Roon via my MacBook and iPhone 15Pro to my Gen2 ATV box and using the optical output since 10am this morning (UK). It's now 2.45pm and it's been flawless.

@Modecorp - your issue seems to be more with airport rather than optical output. Hope these aren't numpty questions - but:
Question 1 - Have you got the ATV box properly setup for airport? I've had three ATV boxes over the years, and the initial airplay setup hasn't been easy on any of them
Question 2 - Have you tested any other apps on the ATV box to see if they'll use the optical output?
I've just tried all on my home TV and I still cant get Airplay to even be seen so i think its a dodgy A1427 unit (2012). My A1625 Apple TV (2015) is recognised fine but has no optical out. Oh well, worth a try!

I've just tried all on my home TV and I still cant get Airplay to even be seen so i think its a dodgy A1427 unit (2012). My A1625 Apple TV (2015) is recognised fine but has no optical out. Oh well, worth a try!
Sounds like it. HDMI audio extractor for the 1625 ATV or AirPort Express might be other low-cost solutions

Sounds like it. HDMI audio extractor for the 1625 ATV or AirPort Express might be other low-cost solutions
The Roku Express is a cheap Apple AirPaly device but it only has HDMI. Very cheap compared to Apple's own thing.

Just in case anyone's interested, I've been streaming Apple Music and Roon via my MacBook and iPhone 15Pro to my Gen2 ATV box and using the optical output since 10am this morning (UK). It's now 2.45pm and it's been flawless.
First issue found: Apple Music will happily stream live radio stations via the iOS app, but the MacOS app seemingly won't.

Another worth a try - but have you tried a factory reset on the A1427 unit?

I have an update on Room Correction. After being unimpressed with the very flat results on setup, I decided to give it another go - but this time with my phone out of its case and lifted to my ear level. The results are much much better and I now no longer have to select a preset EQ to add the depth I was looking for.

I have an update on Room Correction. After being unimpressed with the very flat results on setup, I decided to give it another go - but this time with my phone out of its case and lifted to my ear level. The results are much much better and I now no longer have to select a preset EQ to add the depth I was looking for.
Which target curve, frequency range, max. gain and max. Q settings did you choose?

I went with what it suggested…
Freq: 62.0 Hz
Gain: -7.9 dB
Q: 2.80
No. I'm talking about the room correction configuration settings. Start RC and hit the little cog icon in the top right corner.

If you didn't change them they should still be as per default, but it's worth checking out. Defaults currently are:
Target curve: B&K
Frequency range: 40 Hz - 4000 Hz
Max. gain: 10 dB
Max. Q: 10

No. I'm talking about the room correction configuration settings. Start RC and hit the little cog icon in the top right corner.

If you didn't change them they should still be as per default, but it's worth checking out. Defaults currently are:
Target curve: B&K
Frequency range: 40 Hz - 4000 Hz
Max. gain: 10 dB
Max. Q: 10
Ah okay. Yes, they are the settings I have for RC.

Ah okay. Yes, they are the settings I have for RC.
If you are satisfied with the results now there is no need to change anything. Removing the phone's case and keeping the mic at ear level are generally good advice to follow.

But now you know that there is more to tinker with, just in case you feel like playing around. :)

If you are satisfied with the results now there is no need to change anything. Removing the phone's case and keeping the mic at ear level are generally good advice to follow.

But now you know that there is more to tinker with, just in case you feel like playing around. :)
Absolutely. Next stage of ownership is definitely about tinkering around 😄

Back