Listening impressions with the WiiM Ultra compared to the WiiM pro+ and compared to other streamers

Musician

There is ( strangely enough ) almost no subjective reviews how the WiiM ultra sounds compared to the pro+ and other streamers like the Bluesound node or Eversolo .

Please share your subjective impressions about the sound quality of the WiiM ultra streamer in this thread.
Dont make any links to payed youtubers, on this - I want real owners to contribute with reviews. No measurements or numbers allowed.
How good is the internal dac sounding compared to a Chord qutest or a denafrips, or other dacs ?

I personally find it very difficult to differentiate between the analog output of the Pro Plus and Ultra, or indeed the Pro for that matter, in part due to my environment and hearing , but also due to my Linn digitizing its analog inputs then using its DAC and output stage.

I must admit though that I like how the Amp’s USB out sounds feeding my Linn and am impatient to hear how the Ultra performs when it finally gets USB Out.

I personally find it very difficult to differentiate between the analog output of the Pro Plus and Ultra, or indeed the Pro for that matter, in part due to my environment and hearing , but also due to my Linn digitizing its analog inputs then using its DAC and output stage.

I must admit though that I like how the Amp’s USB out sounds feeding my Linn and am impatient to hear how the Ultra performs when it finally gets USB Out.
Thanks for input.

In my opinion the DAC performance in the WiiM pro is not good enough for critical listening. I use mine as a digital drive to an external dac ( Rega dacR ) and used like that the sound quality is on par with a Linn klimax DS first generation. I tested them :

If you cant hear any difference between the pro and pro+ through analog outputs, then the pro+ is a very average sounding streamer, regardless of the fine measurement results.

But as you say, maybe hard to compare if the input on your Linn amplifier digitize all analog signals.

Last edited:
This conclusion is incorrect in my opinion.
Thanks for input. This is a thread were we discuss subjective sound results, meaning one can prefer a colored dac .

In my own subjective testing, the digital preamp in the Pro is the best I have tried, the PEQ function dont make the sound worse , like the first versions of space optimization did in the Linn streamers.

This also means that Alpha audio and Hans Beekhuyzen are very wrong on the spdif output quality for the pro/pro+.

Last edited:
This also means that Alpha audio and Hans Beekhuyzen are very wrong on the spdif output quality for the pro/pro+.
As long as the DAC is capable of performing a strong jitter correction with a filtering the electric noise, you will know almost nothing about the quality of the spdif output.

Thanks for input. This is a thread were we discuss subjective sound results, meaning one can prefer a colored dac .
It wasn't related to personal preferences, it was about the statement that personal inability of hearing the difference means something significant about the quality of the tested device. There are too many factors that affect listening impressions for such a conclusion.

As long as the DAC is capable of performing a strong jitter correction with a filtering the electric noise, you will know almost nothing about the quality of the spdif output.

It wasn't related to personal preferences, it was about the statement that personal inability of hearing the difference means something significant about the quality of the tested device. There are too many factors that affect listening impressions for such a conclusion.
Some people wants it to sound more ”analog” or want some coloration to the sound , this can be done in different ways with electronics ( and also dacs ) . This is a subjective thread were we are allowed to prefer a certain streamer or dac combination .

Is there anyone that has the ultra running and also have very expensive gear to compare with ?
Welcome with reviews in this thread.

Thanks for input.

In my opinion the DAC performance in the WiiM pro is not good enough for critical listening. I use mine as a digital drive to an external dac ( Rega dacR ) and used like that the sound quality is on par with a Linn klimax DS first generation. I tested them :

If you cant hear any difference between the pro and pro+ through analog outputs, then the pro+ is a very average sounding streamer, regardless of the fine measurement results.

But as you say, maybe hard to compare if the input on your Linn amplifier digitize all analog signals.
The dac on pro using its analog wasn’t sound good. Lack the precision and finesse. It would be nice if wiim just release a straight streamer with just optical, coax and usb out. Why? Many of us own dac and prefer to use our own.

The dac on pro using its analog wasn’t sound good. Lack the precision and finesse. It would be nice if wiim just release a straight streamer with just optical, coax and usb out. Why? Many of us own dac and prefer to use our own.
Yes, the pro:s dac sounds almost ok until you compare with something better. One can debate If an inbuilt dac in a streamer makes the digital spdif output worse ? The dac section in the pro dont cost much but more people will probably buy it because it has a dac inside.

Yes, the pro:s dac sounds almost ok until you compare with something better. One can debate If an inbuilt dac in a streamer makes the digital spdif output worse ? The dac section in the pro dont cost much but more people will probably buy it because it has a dac inside.
This is why pro plus exist because of pro built in dac was ok sound. The biggest upgrade that will be noticeable would be speakers then follow room treatment. Everything else in the chain was suitable but not mind boggling.

This is why pro plus exist because of pro built in dac was ok sound. The biggest upgrade that will be noticeable would be speakers then follow room treatment. Everything else in the chain was suitable but not mind boggling.
On this forum, there are people who has replaced the ne5532 for the opa1612 in their pro+ and they all say it sounds slightly better. I wonder If theres still ne5532 used in the Ultra ? Just a thought.
I have asked this question 3 times but noone will tell which Op amps they use in the ultra.

The output Op amps are probably below the upper circuit board so maybe impossible to take a peek ?

Now- back to discuss subjectivity on the soundquality of the ultra .

Last edited:
I loved my Metrum NOS DAC. I bought it around 10 years ago, compared it to many others at that time and was amazed now, that the DAC in the WiiM Pro+ sounds equally good at the fraction of the price! 👌🏻

Can anyone be very wrong in this subjective world where everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Indeed, subjective is personal opinion and it’s not right or wrong. It’s their take whether we believe on it or not. Everyone is entitled to opinion but many in here would start attacking you.

Indeed, subjective is personal opinion and it’s not right or wrong. It’s their take whether we believe on it or not. Everyone is entitled to opinion but many in here would start attacking you.
How we experience sound is highly subjective.

How we experience sound is highly subjective.
Yes in fact when I told them I could hear difference between ess and akm that I’m crazy because it was subjective that nobody give a damn. They only care objective as proof. I would bet using their own system ess vs akm with blind folded I could answer that question. Also, have long time friend with home system consist of multiple dac ess and akm I was able to pinpoint which is ess and akm without knowing his system. As soon I heard his music I told him your dac is ess chipset he said how the hell you know? I said golden ear my friend!

Back