Loud pops when using hdmi

antlestxp

I'm getting loud pops when dolby is enabled with hdmi arc. I'm guessing it's happening when the sound is going from stereo to multi channel. Anyone else experiencing this?

Setup
Samsung Frame - hdmi set to "auto"
Wiim - hmdi in - rca out

I can rule out the tv. I have had 5 different devices in this room. None of the previous devices popped.

I'm getting loud pops when dolby is enabled with hdmi arc. I'm guessing it's happening when the sound is going from stereo to multi channel. Anyone else experiencing this?

Setup
Samsung Frame - hdmi set to "auto"
Wiim - hmdi in - rca out

I can rule out the tv. I have had 5 different devices in this room. None of the previous devices popped.

I don't know the specifics of your TV, but this is general troubleshooting.

Turn off eARC
Change the digital audio output to PCM

If this does not solve the problem, please try unplugging the HDMI cable after unplugging the power cables from the TV and WiiM, and then plugging in the HDMI cable and turning it back on after at least 10 minutes.

Also, if the TV OS can be rebooted, try this as well.

The pops go away when set to pcm. I was hoping to use dolby since it is said to be supported by wiim and it has worked with every other device I have used. I tried the wiim with a sony tv just to rule out the tv and I get the same behavior from the wiim. I am curious if others have this experience or if it is unique to my device.

The pops go away when set to pcm. I was hoping to use dolby since it is said to be supported by wiim and it has worked with every other device I have used. I tried the wiim with a sony tv just to rule out the tv and I get the same behavior from the wiim. I am curious if others have this experience or if it is unique to my device.
Hi antlestxp,

Can you please send us a feedback ticket with the WiiM Home App so we can resolve this issue promptly? Thank you for your assistance and patience!

What are the digital audio output options for your TV other than PCM?

My TV has a choice between "Dolby Audio Conversion" and "Digital Through" for bitstream, and when I choose Dolby Audio Conversion, the pop noise disappears.

Hello, did you figure this out? Also using a frame and having the popping.

They told me the solution was to turn off Dolby. They said it only processes it as 2 channel anyways. I thought it was a good idea to have Dolby on for the .1 channel but I guess it doesn't use it.

That’s a weird answer.

Why advertise it as a feature then and add the functionality?

Also I think I hear a difference when using Dolby.

I did try disabling eARC in the sound menu on the Samsung and then restarted the WiiM. Maybe it doesn’t support eARC but just ARC and the tv doesn’t know that and it’s causing issues with the WiiM. The seems to have stopped after that but that’s only for the past hour or so.

That being said before I left the house for 3 days after restarting the WiiM it was working with eARC on with no popping. So more to test…

I’m going to keep an eye on it.

It was hit or miss with my frame. I gave up and disabled it. I noticed when it wasn't popping, the sound would become distorted over time. I think I'm going to end up going back to the other device I was using but keep it to keep up with their development.

I did try disabling eARC in the sound menu on the Samsung and then restarted the WiiM. Maybe it doesn’t support eARC but just ARC and the tv doesn’t know that and it’s causing issues with the WiiM.
The WiiM Ultra (and WiiM Amp) both support ARC only, not eARC.

New update seems to have made the issues worse. I’m probably going to have to return this device. Sucks because I really like what it can do.

New update seems to have made the issues worse. I’m probably going to have to return this device. Sucks because I really like what it can do.
Did you send feedback through the WiiM Home App?

I haven't touched mine in a while. I will we have to see how my unit behaves tomorrow

Back