Making powered speakers wireless with Mini

Ok, thanks. I think I get that now.

It’s still a bit finicky with the volume but that may have more to do with the odd auto-sleep/wake-up behavior of the speakers.

It’ll be nuances to dial in the perfect balance. Would be great if one could have two preset volume settings for the grouped speakers in the WiiM app, to quickly switch between them (one for low volume listening, and one for when you want to crank it all up a bit more, for example).

Right now I have the Mini connected via its 3.5mm Line Out (the only option) to the analog 3.5 mm input on the speaker end.
I have the option to use the speaker’s Toslink or USB-B ports instead. Would that make any difference in sound quality, or would there be any other benefit?

Right now I have the Mini connected via its 3.5mm Line Out (the only option) to the analog 3.5 mm input on the speaker end.
I have the option to use the speaker’s Toslink or USB-B ports instead. Would that make any difference in sound quality, or would there be any other benefit?
Try it and see!
imo, the analog out on the mini is "adequate" at best, but there's often a lot to be said for simplicity and convenience.

Ok, thanks. I think I get that now.

It’s still a bit finicky with the volume but that may have more to do with the odd auto-sleep/wake-up behavior of the speakers.

It’ll be nuances to dial in the perfect balance. Would be great if one could have two preset volume settings for the grouped speakers in the WiiM app, to quickly switch between them (one for low volume listening, and one for when you want to crank it all up a bit more, for example).

Right now I have the Mini connected via its 3.5mm Line Out to the analog 3.5 mm input on the speaker end. I have the option to use the speaker’s Toslink or USB-B ports instead. Would that make any difference (the Min only has 3.5 mm out).

Try it and see!
imo, the analog out on the mini is "adequate" at best, but there's often a lot to be said for simplicity and convenience.
I’d like to understand if there’s a difference in technical terms. The signal that comes out of the Mini’s Line Out is probably the same, no matter what plug there is on the other end of that wire, correct?
But what exactly happens on the speaker side when I use irs optical in or USB in (instead of the 3.5 mm - anything? If someone can confirm that technically nothing changes anyway I could just leave it alone, IF.

But what exactly happens on the speaker side
If you use the mini's 3.5mm analog out then you are using the mini's dac section to convert the signal.
If you use the mini's optical out then you'll be using the speaker's dac instead.

I don't know (or don't recall, and haven't scrolled back!) what speakers you have and whether they will convert the analog input to digital anyway.
They might, but, again my opinion, if using the mini's dac section it will have already degraded the signal.
The mini came with an optical cable - should be quick and easy to try it.

So if I use the Mini’s 3.5mm analog out, its DAC processes the signal and puts out up to 192 kHz, 24-bit. If I use the optical Toslink out it bypasses the Mini’s DAC. Correct?

The Q Acoustics M20’s Toslink optical and USB in both go through its DAC which processes up to 192 kHz, 24-bit as well. kHz/bit rate is not defined for the 3.5 mm and RCA inputs - I have to assume that its DAC will be bypassed when I use these.

So I guess it’s a draw?
Looks like both, the speakers and the Mini offer a similar digital-to-analog conversion. I could use the Mini’s 3.5 mm out and the speaker’s 3.5 mm in (the Mini’s DAC is used) or the Mini’s optical/Toslink out and the speakers Toslink or USB in (the M20’s DAC is used). Both methods should output the same sound quality - is that correct? Or is there another significant factor to consider?

“Why not just try it out already?!” you may ask. Well, the speakers are on an elevated platform and I have to get the ladder out to climb up there every time. So more information in advance means less climbing. Also, I’d like to understand what I’m doing. But if someone here can confirm the above, I will be up there this weekend and will report back here.

Thanks!

its DAC processes the signal and puts out up to 192 kHz, 24-bit
The mini's dac processes signals up to 192/24, and outputs an analog signal.
An analog signal, by definition, has no bit depth / sample rate.

If I use the optical Toslink out it bypasses the Mini’s DAC. Correct?
Correct.

I have to assume that its DAC will be bypassed when I use these.
Many devices digitise their analog inputs and convert back to analog again (the wiims do).
For me, unless I get positive confirmation that the analog is 'pass through' then I assume it's digitised.

Or is there another significant factor to consider?
The analog parts in a dac are of significant importance.
imo the mini's analog output is merely 'ok'.
I'd also posit that the 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead you use could have a significant impact on sound.
Even my kids say that some such leads from their phone's headphone socket to their car radio 3.5mm input are rubbish!

“Why not just try it out already?!”
Indeed! ;)

I’m now more confused than before.
What output are you guys suggesting I should use on the Wiim for best sound quality and what input on the speakers?

If it were me, I'd go mini optical out to speaker optical in.
From a quick google, it seems to me that the analog inputs of your speakers are digitised. Even if they weren't, I'd still go optical.

Last edited:
You’ll need two Minis, one for each speaker, to maintain stereo sound. Each Mini will handle the wireless transmission for its respective speaker.
Not necessarily the case as many wireless speakers work as a stereo pair with one taking the stereo feed and the splitting the left/right channel , sending one channel to the other

Not necessarily the case as many wireless speakers work as a stereo pair with one taking the stereo feed and the splitting the left/right channel , sending one channel to the other
That’s the case for most powered stereo speakers that come in pairs.The M20 is no exception. One Mini should suffice from what I unserstand.

So I guess we’re saying optical to optical?
Which, if I’m correct, means the Wiim’s DAC that takes the signal via WiFi from a Pro+ (so it’s digital) is bypassed and the speaker’s DAC translates the digital signals to analog for output.
I’ll try that then.

Does that imply that the speaker’s DAC is better than the Wiim’s or maybe it’a just more customized to the speaker’s specs?

Does that imply that the speaker’s DAC is better than the Wiim’s or maybe it’a just more customized to the speaker’s specs?
Sufficient to assume that the speaker's DAC isn't noticeably worse than the Mini's. The DAC isn't really customised to the speaker, it just converts digital to analogue and that's OK.

Last edited:
Yep. The M20's DAC processes signals up to 192/24, just like the Mini. My question was more towards if there are any other factors that would favour one DAC over the other.
Anyway, let me just hook them up with an optical wire and see what happens. I hope that this will also remedy some of the auto-standby issues I have with the speakers—they have a hard time coming back on when sound is detected, specially at lower volumes (seems to be a known issue for the M20).

After initial testing with just Spotify (all good) I went ahead andI connected TT and CD to the WiiM Pro+ 1 with a cheap Amazon Prozor bi-directional 4-way RCA switch in between (as recommended), and a Pro-Ject Box S before that as a phono pre for the TT.

The volume on the TT is very low and very muffled/compressed. Even if I turn the volume on the switch all the way up it’s still very low. The same TT (just a good old Technics with a Concord/OM 2) sounds great through my receiver but really crappy through the new setup. And the Pro-Ject box is supposed to be one of the better small phono pres.

What‘a going on here?!

Back