Maximum number of Wiim Amps connected simultaneously

nickd

Hi all, I love the Wiim amp and I'm thinking of using it for a sound installation involving many speakers. I was wondering, however, if I'll hit any limit in the total number of Wiim amps that can be connected simultaneously, and thus showing as cards in the app. Has anyone hit the limit yet? do you think it would be possible to connect about 30 Wiim amps at the same time? Thank you!

I guess that’s one for WiiM to answer as not many here will have experience of that many devices. If you intend playing them as a group, I’d be concerned about your router’s ability to maintain that number of simultaneous streams.

Contact WiiM via the settings/ feedback section in the app.

I'm not aware of a limit of WiiMs, but I would recommend to hardwire (ethernet) them instead of WiFi. This will improve their response time (ping) and reduce consumed airtime, so your other WiFi products have a better experience. And also consider a powerful (and properly configured) router to handle it. I'm quite fond of UniFi products myself.
It will be quite a lot of mDNS discovery packets and other stuff on the network, so look into that and also IGMP Snooping to prevent the network from being overloaded with packets.

It seems to me a more sensible approach here would be to have one WiiM, and then broadcast the signal internally to multiple amps that drive the speakers?

I'm not aware of a limit of WiiMs, but I would recommend to hardwire (ethernet) them instead of WiFi. This will improve their response time (ping) and reduce consumed airtime, so your other WiFi products have a better experience. And also consider a powerful (and properly configured) router to handle it. I'm quite fond of UniFi products myself.
It will be quite a lot of mDNS discovery packets and other stuff on the network, so look into that and also IGMP Snooping to prevent the network from being overloaded with packets.
Thank you very much. Indeed UniFi products are great. We were thinking of a hardwired setup using UniFi routers. Thanks.

Hi all, I love the Wiim amp and I'm thinking of using it for a sound installation involving many speakers. I was wondering, however, if I'll hit any limit in the total number of Wiim amps that can be connected simultaneously, and thus showing as cards in the app. Has anyone hit the limit yet? do you think it would be possible to connect about 30 Wiim amps at the same time? Thank you!
You're proposing a large scale test that WiiM themselves probably have never done -- 30 concurrent WiiM Amps! I'm sure that they would be very interested in your large scale testing.

It seems to me a more sensible approach here would be to have one WiiM, and then broadcast the signal internally to multiple amps that drive the speakers?
Thank you. The idea is to have different signals playing in different sets of speakers, that's why I was thinking of using multiple Wiims, sending different tracks from a laptop or two. I might not be understanding your solution properly though (I'm a bit slow with these things...)

You're proposing a large scale test that WiiM themselves probably have never done -- 30 concurrent WiiM Amps! I'm sure that they would be very interested in your large scale testing.
Thank you. I'll send them a note.

Back