My WiiM Ultra first impressions

I really don't understand using the remote?

Mine is still in the box.

The app is absolutely superb, either on my phone or a 9" tablet.

Am I missing something?
Depends. I have it programmed to my favorite internet streaming stations. I walk in the room, pick up the remote, press button 1,2,3, or 4 depending on my mood and music starts playing. When I am finished listening, I press the power button and my WiiM turns off. Good luck finding the power off button in the app.

Depends. I have it programmed to my favorite internet streaming stations. I walk in the room, pick up the remote, press button 1,2,3, or 4 depending on my mood and music starts playing. When I am finished listening, I press the power button and my WiiM turns off. Good luck finding the power off button in the app.
Didn't realise you put it to stand by TBH.

Seems strange there is no option to do it in the app.

I turn my system off with a wifi plug anyway.

I really don't understand using the remote?

Mine is still in the box.

The app is absolutely superb, either on my phone or a 9" tablet.

Am I missing something?

Using the power button to turn it on and off. :ROFLMAO: As above, that aside it’s Play/Pause for me. If you’re flicking between tracks on a playlist it’s good for previous/next. If you’re listening to an album, or a playlist in full, it’s good for play/pause. And possibly volume.

I think if you’re messing about with settings you use the phone. But if you have the Ultra set up exactly as you want it, and you’ve set your music going, the traditional remote functionality with buttons is better than virtual buttons on a touch screen.

To be honest, whilst this takes a while, I’m just starting to get used to what I’m using the remote for, what I’m using my phone for, and what I’m using the screen for.

If you sit down at the start and look at the three controllers, it looks a pain. But if you just use them, over time you organically gravitate to the easiest/most appropriate control for each function that’s right for you, I suppose.

Screen is good for flicking between EQ settings.

Last edited:
Apart from more listening over the next few days, I’m also waiting for my new PC and monitor to arrive.

This will enable me to load music onto an external drive, to be plugged into the Ultra.

Using the power button to turn it on and off. :ROFLMAO: As above, that aside it’s Play/Pause for me. If you’re flicking between tracks on a playlist it’s good for previous/next. If you’re listening to an album, or a playlist in full, it’s good for play/pause. And possibly volume.

I think if you’re messing about with settings you use the phone. But if you have the Ultra set up exactly as you want it, and you’ve set your music going, the traditional remote functionality with buttons is better than virtual buttons on a touch screen.

To be honest, whilst this takes a while, I’m just starting to get used to what I’m using the remote for, what I’m using my phone for, and what I’m using the screen for.

If you sit down at the start and look at the three controllers, it looks a pain. But if you just use them, over time you organically gravitate to the easiest/most appropriate control for each function that’s right for you, I suppose.
You can use the remote for voice control as well. Never tried though 😀

Mine just goes into standby after a few minutes without a signal (setup via the app). Don't need a power button. Mute is both on my preamp and external dac remotes. Don't want/need another remote so mine is still in the box...

Wiim mods,

Can you guys give discount for Wiim mini to be purchased along with Wiim ultra, to accomodate the airplay feedback. Everyone will be happy.

Thanks!

Mine just goes into standby after a few minutes without a signal (setup via the app). Don't need a power button. Mute is both on my preamp and external dac remotes. Don't want/need another remote so mine is still in the box...

I’m lucky in this respect. I have my Ultra, with my amp on top of it. The amp is smaller (narrower), and thus leaves a gap the perfect size for the remote.

Because the remote has its place, I never lose it.

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    649.9 KB · Views: 15
I’m lucky in this respect. I have my Ultra, with my amp on top of it. The amp is smaller (narrower), and thus leaves a gap the perfect size for the remote.

Because the remote has its place, I never lose it.
Steve,

Thanks for such a great review.
I have had my 8 WiiM Ultras now for about 1 month.

I believe the batteries decision is probably weight driven for shipping, as well as the thought that most people have batteries at home. I feel the same way about most cables, but that hasn't become something people simply self source.

They would never be able to include cables that would satisfy the audiophiles in most cases.

My listening experience after the last firmware update has been flawless, with 8 units playing back synced and flawless.

My family mostly streams from Tidal high quality, but we also have a NAS drive on the network which we have had equal success with.

Personally we are so happy with the sound quality because we are coming from a Sonos whole house system. I presume someday I'll play with the room correction, but that's a phase 2 activity.

I can say on WiiM s behalf, that I have been blown away with their capacity to receive a support case, fix the problems and roll out a updated firmware in a matter of days. That's not been my experience with Bluesound or Sonos, maybe there are others but just not in my experience.

When I get some time I'll grab a few photos of my setups (yes there are several) but the common denominator is the WiiM Ultra in each room.

To conclude, in the technology world I feel the hardware is very important, but the company's handling of customer suggestions and issues with the software really determines the best technology solution. Hardware with bad or no support or active development quickly becomes an expensive boat anchor.

Steve thanks again for all your great commentary and details. I always learn a lot from your posts.

Thankfully,

Jeff

Steve,

I believe the batteries decision is probably weight driven for shipping, as well as the thought that most people have batteries at home. I feel the same way about most cables, but that hasn't become something people simply self source.

They would never be able to include cables that would satisfy the audiophiles in most cases.

My listening experience after the last firmware update has been flawless, with 8 units playing back synced and flawless.

My family mostly streams from Tidal high quality, but we also have a NAS drive on the network which we have had equal success with.

Personally we are so happy with the sound quality because we are coming from a Sonos whole house system. I presume someday I'll play with the room correction, but that's a phase 2 activity.

I can say on WiiM s behalf, that I have been blown away with their capacity to receive a support case, fix the problems and roll out a updated firmware in a matter of days. That's not been my experience with Bluesound or Sonos, maybe there are others but just not in my experience.

When I get some time I'll grab a few photos of my setups (yes there are several) but the common denominator is the WiiM Ultra in each room.

To conclude, in the technology world I feel the hardware is very important, but the company's handling of customer suggestions and issues with the software really determines the best technology solution. Hardware with bad or no support or active development quickly becomes an expensive boat anchor.

Steve thanks again for all your great commentary and details. I always learn a lot from your posts.

Thankfully,

Jeff
Batteries - more likely to avoid health & safety regs. for transport.

I am very happy with the quality of the supplied cables. Way better than what other companies supply, if they do.

I have never spent more than £20 - £30 on a cable and now I would never even consider spending that much.

IME they make no difference at all.

I now tend to buy something from Kenable or Amazon Basics, just to get something a bit more robust.

Although I agree that a lot (the majority?) of people who buy the Ultra would "upgrade" their interconnects. So the decision to supply cables is a bit of a strange one.

Personally I'm using what it come with.

Steve,

Thankfully,

Jeff
Totally agree with you Jeff
8 Ultras? Really?😮

I am very happy with the quality of the supplied cables. Way better than what other companies supply, if they do.

I have never spent more than £20 - £30 on a cable and now I would never even consider spending that much.

IME they make no difference at all.

I now tend to buy something from Kenable or Amazon Basics, just to get something a bit more robust.

Although I agree that a lot (the majority?) of people who buy the Ultra would "upgrade" their interconnects. So the decision to supply cables is a bit of a strange one.

Personally I'm using what it come with.
I agree totally. Right now I’m using some AudioQuest evergreen rca cables I was gifted to from a friend. They’re nice looking built well and all but no difference in audio quality between them and some cheap ones or something like Amazon basics. At least none that my ears can tell.

Totally agree with you Jeff
8 Ultras? Really?😮
Yes.. really... My home is long and spread out. We hated starting great music in one room, only to leave and miss some.

Now, we miss none.
Also, we loving just having the energy of great, nice, calming music playing throughout.

Of course with these devices any one of my family can sit in the listening room, doors closed and listen independently as well.

I feel it's the best of all worlds.

But, that's just me.
Jeff

PS: Many streamers do not even attempt MULTI ROOM, so the few that do needed to be leaps ahead of Sonos (Which WiiM certainly is).

I think it's been mentioned before that shipping items with batteries requires adherence to additional rules and regulations, so is far simpler to not provide them.
Probably.

before I retired used to do the paperwork for international shipping. The regulations for each global region and country is different and what a minefield, so yes that is probably the reason?, or of course could just be cost cutting. I purchased a DAC/Streamer 3 years ago at the cost of £949 and to my shock at the time no battery was supplied for the remote.

Back