My WiiM Ultra first impressions

I really don't understand using the remote?

Mine is still in the box.

The app is absolutely superb, either on my phone or a 9" tablet.

Am I missing something?
I've found it rather useful for adjusting volume, pausing and track skipping/repeat -- you just pick it up and punch a button.

Don't have to mess with unlocking your phone, opening the app or switching between apps before you can make the desired change. I could certainly live without a remote but I've found it handier than I originally anticipated. And my wife especially like the voice control where she can play her artist/album with a simple voice command -- don't even have to start with "Alexa" when you push the button.

Precisely.

High-fidelity equipment is puzzlingly well equipped to participate with its low-fidelity brethren if required.

As audio equipment enthusiasts, I think many of us are sometimes guilty of forgetting that our kit is primarily there to enjoy the sound it makes. That reads as though I’m crazy, but it’s true.

I’m as interested as anyone in all the tech and any improvements in sound I might get from it. However, all of that is secondary to enjoyment of the media we choose to play through it.

I listened to Prom 42: Beethoven’s Symphony By Heart on the weekend. 60% on my Hi-Fi via WiiM, 15% in the car (Mineshaft-Fi) and 25% on my AirPods Pro whilst grocery shopping. Bloody marvellous it was, and I didn’t fret about the technical characteristics of any single item of equipment whilst doing so.

The fact that I could continue my enjoyment with little interruption because of all that kit is remarkable to me.

Nice to have options isn’t it?
Audible is good at syncing playback across different targets where it picks up from where you left off ....

I've found it rather useful for adjusting volume, pausing and track skipping/repeat -- you just pick it up and punch a button.

Don't have to mess with unlocking your phone, opening the app or switching between apps before you can make the desired change. I could certainly live without a remote but I've found it handier than I originally anticipated. And my wife especially like the voice control where she can play her artist/album with a simple voice command -- don't even have to start with "Alexa" when you push the button.
My Naim qb2 has a fiddly remote but the MUTE button is very useful 😁😋

I think with the Ultra, you can control different aspects of the soften with the app, the screen or the remote.

If you sit with all three while you listen, after a while you’ll soon find which control works best for you for which activity. It’ll just come naturally.

Well, that’s what’s happening with me.

Mine just arrived 2 hours ago and I am blown away coming from the mini to the ultra was jaw dropping 🙀
I tried the RC but it sounded worse than using EQ but I need to know what I am doing before I write it off😊
The fact I am just using it plugged into my Sonos 5s and sub I cannot wait until Xmas when I get an amp and floor standing speakers to really up the game
So far so good happy with my purchase 👍

Mine just arrived 2 hours ago and I am blown away coming from the mini to the ultra was jaw dropping 🙀
I tried the RC but it sounded worse than using EQ but I need to know what I am doing before I write it off😊
The fact I am just using it plugged into my Sonos 5s and sub I cannot wait until Xmas when I get an amp and floor standing speakers to really up the game
Wiim gives you flexibility whichever works with you. If you run rc and sound quality was down grade to your ear you have choice from Harman, bk and flat. If those still no good, you could try graphics eq flat or other presets or don’t use eq at all. From here, try to rearrange your speaker placement and your sitting position. Treat your acoustic as well.

Nice. Remember to set everything to 24 bit 192 kHz maximal resolution in the WiiM app , except for the fixed sample rate converter at 192 KHz - dont use it. The Ultra will sound slightly better after 6-7 hours , atleast in my experience.

Nice. Remember to set everything to 24 bit 192 kHz maximal resolution in the WiiM app , except for the fixed sample rate converter at 192 KHz - dont use it. The Ultra will sound slightly better after 6-7 hours , atleast in my experience.
OMG it’s going to sound better 🙀
The hair on my neck is already standing up 😜

Remember to set everything to 24 bit 192 kHz maximal resolution in the WiiM app , except for the fixed sample rate converter at 192 KHz - dont use it.
There are good reasons to not simply set "everything" to 24 bit 192 kHz and I thought you had followed that discussion and the measurements. :)

My Ultra doesn't support a fixed output resolution (yet), does yours?

There are good reasons to not simply set "everything" to 24 bit 192 kHz and I thought you had followed that discussion and the measurements. :)

I haven't followed that discussion, what are the optimal line input settings? I've set it to 24/48.
Since I use the on board dac then the output settings are irrelevant for me.

I must have misses that - maybe the 24 bit 192 kHz max advice was for the pro.
What resolution is the best for Ultra ? Please link to thread.

Last edited:
I must have misses that - maybe the 24 bit 192 kHz Max advice was for the pro.
What resolution is the best for Ultra ? Please link to thread.
Here is the direct link to the conclusion, so no interpretation of measurements required:

I parted ways with the Ultra to try the Bluesound Nano. One issue with the Nano that surprised me was the USB out doesn't offer volume control. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that the volume of USB out on the Ultra can be adjusted. Can anyone confirm?

I parted ways with the Ultra to try the Bluesound Nano. One issue with the Nano that surprised me was the USB out doesn't offer volume control. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that the volume of USB out on the Ultra can be adjusted. Can anyone confirm?
It does. Why did you ditch the Ultra?

Had a few days now and got my record deck and usb drive setup still very impressed with it found that setting the line in to 24/96 works best for my turntable 👍
Also set pre gain to +6 for the TT makes volume level more even
Even hooked my Blu-ray up via optical for cd playback not that I own many now as I just use vinyl, digital and streaming now
One thing that stands out is that 16/44 files can sound very good as well but mastering is the key to any sound file
Back to playing around some more 😊

It does. Why did you ditch the Ultra?

I don't want to dump on WIIM but there were a few cumulative negative experiences that turned me off from the start.

The device software (weird settings layout and my own difficulty navigating, a few too many 'coming soon' items, and some glitchy behavior overall) didn't feel quite ready for release. Just my opinion.

I also stumbled out of the gate getting the USB out working (took several visits to these forums). I'll own my share of that. But the cherry on top was the announcement Airplay 2 wasn't going to happen for this hardware release.

Total speculation but I thought they might put out an MKII version, perhaps quietly, perhaps soonish, that would incorporate the AP2 chip for holiday shoppers so I'd wait it out a bit with the WIIM Pro.

In steps the Node Nano which is most of what I am looking for - mature software, Amazon Music compatible, USB out, Windows/Mac app, and an external power supply.

As Amazon Music streamers are aware, WIIM, Bluesound and Sonus are about the only games in town. Sonus doesn't offer USB out and generally seems mired. I'd happily keep the Nano but the lack of USB volume control ruins some future plans. Volumio seems to be inching toward Amazon integration at some indeterminable, always forward looking date.

So it looks like the Ultra might be getting a second chance.

I don't want to dump on WIIM but there were a few cumulative negative experiences that turned me off from the start.

The device software (weird settings layout and my own difficulty navigating, a few too many 'coming soon' items, and some glitchy behavior overall) didn't feel quite ready for release. Just my opinion.

I also stumbled out of the gate getting the USB out working (took several visits to these forums). I'll own my share of that. But the cherry on top was the announcement Airplay 2 wasn't going to happen for this hardware release.

Total speculation but I thought they might put out an MKII version, perhaps quietly, perhaps soonish, that would incorporate the AP2 chip for holiday shoppers so I'd wait it out a bit with the WIIM Pro.

In steps the Node Nano which is most of what I am looking for - mature software, Amazon Music compatible, USB out, Windows/Mac app, and an external power supply.

As Amazon Music streamers are aware, WIIM, Bluesound and Sonus are about the only games in town. Sonus doesn't offer USB out and generally seems mired. I'd happily keep the Nano but the lack of USB volume control ruins some future plans. Volumio seems to be inching toward Amazon integration at some indeterminable, always forward looking date.

So it looks like the Ultra might be getting a second chance.
Pretty much all the updates you will be getting will just bug fix. I heard they will provide room correction from dirac but pay license fee. Here in Wiim, updates are continues not just bug fix but feature sets for free.

Back