New Ultra

Jamp7

I just received my new Ultra from Crutchfield. Very easy to set up. I have tried the analog outputs to my preamp, the optical output to an external DAC, and the USB input of some music files on a thumb drive. All worked. I think the Ultra internal DAC sounds better than optical out to my DAC. My DAC is descent but not high end. But this says I certainly don’t need to avoid using the Ultra DAC. More testing to follow. I want to try the Room EQ and the Bass Management. I might even try connecting the Ultra directly to my power amp to see how that sounds. This one is a keeper.

I agree with your experience so far everything with the WiiM Ultra has been the best technical experience I've had in decades. First time I've installed the new piece of hardware where it didn't take weeks to work out the kinks and the bugs.

Glad I'm not alone, I hope WiiM has all the success in the world for this amazing device they've created that covers so many requirements in a sleek and functional package.

Jeff

I might even try connecting the Ultra directly to my power amp to see how that sounds
Waiting for this :) I will be using mine with sub out, and Wiim will be connected directly to Fosi v3 monos.

I just received my new Ultra from Crutchfield. Very easy to set up. I have tried the analog outputs to my preamp, the optical output to an external DAC, and the USB input of some music files on a thumb drive. All worked. I think the Ultra internal DAC sounds better than optical out to my DAC. My DAC is descent but not high end. But this says I certainly don’t need to avoid using the Ultra DAC. More testing to follow. I want to try the Room EQ and the Bass Management. I might even try connecting the Ultra directly to my power amp to see how that sounds. This one is a keeper.

What external DAC you used for this test ?

I agree this is a keeper probably one of the most pleasant pieces of technology I've added to my life in many years that worked as promised.

The other amazing part is that the company seems to want to listen to their customers and make improvements based on the user's feedback.

That seems like the most valuable part of working with the WiiM company.

Jeff

First off, sorry to hijack the tread. This is the most recent one that I can find about the Ultra that’s accepting replies. I’ve been active on a couple of threads that have suddenly been shut down and say that they are not open for replies. One of them is the main Meet the WiiM Ultra thread. Can anyone point me to the new one? Thanks a bunch

First off, sorry to hijack the tread. This is the most recent one that I can find about the Ultra that’s accepting replies. I’ve been active on a couple of threads that have suddenly been shut down and say that they are not open for replies. One of them is the main Meet the WiiM Ultra thread. Can anyone point me to the new one? Thanks a bunch
What is it you want to ask / share?
Start a new thread if necessary?

I don’t In particular. I’m following along with interest and contributing occasionally. I’m new to WIIM as I just got the Ultra last weekend and I guess I didn’t realize that it’s not normal to expect an active thread to continue to stay active or at least pick up somewhere else. Why are they being shut down?

To answer your question more directly, I’m trying to get info on options for AirPlay support in the future. I just learned for the first time a couple hours ago that it’s never coming to my device, contrary to what I believed when I bought it.

There’s no airplay support for the ultra a member of staff confirmed this before closing down the airplay thread

There’s no airplay support for the ultra a member of staff confirmed this before closing down the airplay thread
Yeah, no kidding. By support, I meant do they plan to help early adopter get access in one form or another eventually. I exclusively use Apple Music and thought it was coming as a future firmware update, but since that’s not the case, I’m weighing if I should just return my unit while I still can.

Do you think it will be available with an update?
Nope. We just found out that that’s impossible. The hardware in the Ultra doesn’t support AirPlay. They should have been a lot more clear on that up front.

Quite simply, if it doesn't perform as advertised when you bought it you are entitled to a refund.
Get a device that does what you want and use it instead of / plug it into the ultra.
A mini has been suggested as a solution!

Quite simply, if it doesn't perform as advertised when you bought it you are entitled to a refund.
Get a device that does what you want and use it instead of / plug it into the ultra.
A mini has been suggested as a solution!
Got it. I’m not stupid. I’m looking for WiiM’s plans for us, but obviously I’m not going to get that here. Have a good one

I won’t weigh in on most of that as a lot of it’s pure speculation. But I agree that shutting down the threads is seriously wrong and it has me rethinking what I thought about wiim before tonight. It’s simply making a bad situation worse.

And I both agree and disagree.
The situation is eminently clear, and no amount of complaining here or elsewhere will change it.
Sometimes **** happens, and this really is very low on the chart.
There really is no merit to continuing 'discussion' in threads; it'll merely be complaining, and the fact remains that a refund is available if it doesn't function as advertised.

@satx I sincerely apologise if you thought my earlier post was patronising; that was not my intent.

I heard back from the selling dealer today. Since Ultra is not currently equipped with an MFI type chip, I received an answer that it would not be possible to support AirPlay through software in the future. So I'm a little worried. I am wondering if there is another way to play Apple Music.

Back