New Ultra

Are there any other streamers that do not support Airplay? In my experience, it is a feature on my CA Evo 150, Denon HEOS Hifi, Bluesound Node, and Sony TV. This suggests that Apple are very happy to license Airplay so some people need to reconsider their conspiracy theories.

Are there any other streamers that do not support Airplay? In my experience, it is a feature on my CA Evo 150, Denon HEOS Hifi, Bluesound Node, and Sony TV. This suggests that Apple are very happy to license Airplay so some people need to reconsider their conspiracy theories.
The conspiracy theory arises because of the very very short lived ability to CAST from a WiiM to another AirPlay device.

The conspiracy theory arises because of the very very short lived ability to CAST from a WiiM to another AirPlay device.
Perhaps I should add that I don’t know of ANY official device capable of CASTING to an AirPlay target except those manufactured by Apple.

NB There is unofficial code available to do this which was created by reverse engineering but none authorised by Apple to my knowledge.

Perhaps just a new direction for Apple's licensing policy. And WiiM Ultra is the first victim, a long line could follow! Just a theory.

NB: Perhaps Apple is also planning to release a very similar device and wants to keep one of its USPs for itself.

OK, here’s a scenario: a household that has mixture of Apple HomePods and WiiM devices connected to various active speakers? What service would one use for full-house playback of, say, Spotify, if one wants HomePods to play music as well? And this is not an exotic scenario at all
If you use Spotify Connect from iPhone to WiiM for use with stereosystem, and AirPlay with Spotify from iPhone to HomePod?

Sorry, forgot i was on a US-site - we dont have huge enough houses for that need here in Norway 🙂 my house is only 150m2
Larger houses wouldn't need to be synchronised perfectly if you can't hear all the speakers at the same time. Smaller houses would need better synchronisation 😀

I have 8 units in my home and the music plays perfectly synced for me.

As I walk through the house I feel like it's a single system playing.

Half of my units are wired Ethernet and the other half WiFi. It's keeping them all synced.

WIIM seems dedicated to make Multi Room work, my research showed that very few other streamers even try this. WiiM is going after Sonos and Blue sound's market. And they have done an amazing job at it.

All my Sonos units are heading for the recycling center.

Jeff

Congrats. You did manage to hijack and destroy the thread opened by @Jamp7 completely.

If you want to discuss a new topic, start a new thread. That's not specic.tonthis forum, that's the general approach.

Now, @Jamp7 can go ahead and start a new thread for his question.
Sorry about that. All I asked is for someone to point me to an appropriate thread because I couldn’t find one. I’m new to WIIM, but not to forums and I’ve never seen administrators shut down a thread like this and thought there was maybe something unique to the way this place worked.

Larger houses wouldn't need to be synchronised perfectly if you can't hear all the speakers at the same time. Smaller houses would need better synchronisation 😀
Exactly. It’s not a matter of a home size, it’s a matter of one-click smooth and synced playback across a mixture of devices in adjacent rooms. As of today, for Spotify I achieve it via Airplay. If I add an Ultra to my little audio menagerie, it won’t work in this scenario. (Just in case, for more attentive listening I use Roon and Qobuz, but for background music Spotify and Apple Music playlists are my go-to services). So, once again, love my Mini and Pro Plus, but a farewell to Ultra before we even met;)

My impression is that WiiM have used a (perfectly working) software-only solution in their previous devices.
But probably this approach is not liked/allowed by Apple, which wants that Airplay compliant devices have mandatorily an MFI chip onboard.
If previous WiiM devices have not an MFI chip onboard, I am afraid that soon or later their (software-only) Airplay target capability will be removed too. We will see if WiiM will produce or not a new wave of devices with MFI chip onboard.
But, of course, I could very well be totally wrong...

Airplay1 doesn’t have perfect sync. It was one of the drivers for Airplay2 which Apple achieved but normally at a lossy level. In the case of Spotify that doesn’t really matter.

Using LMS I can easily sync a group of players that can include an AirPlay target with the caveat that 24/96 stuff etc is going to get downsampled to 16/44.1 across all players as that’s the max AirPlay 1 supports. It is still lossless if the source is. This is because the server proxies the stream for all clients. It is perfect sync though.

WiiM does multi room differently. It has to as there is no server but instead each devices “listens” to its neighbour and adjusts for delay accordingly.

I have no idea how Sonos etc achieve multi room if indeed they do.

My impression is that WiiM have used a (perfectly working) software-only solution in their previous devices.
But probably this approach is not liked/allowed by Apple, which wants that Airplay compliant devices have mandatorily an MFI chip onboard.
If previous WiiM devices have not an MFI chip onboard, I am afraid that soon or later their (software-only) Airplay target capability will be removed too. We will see if WiiM will produce or not a new wave of devices with MFI chip onboard.
But, of course, I could very well be totally wrong...
Shairpoint and associated libraries perhaps

Now that they've concluded that a new hardware revision will be necessary: when will it come?

Would it be a new PCB version for the same model or will it be a "Wiim Ultra 2" in two years from now.

Where was a hdw revision deemed necessary? Did I miss that announcement?

We posted this message in another thread but want to post it here so everyone here sees it.
--

Hi WiiM Community,

We always strive to be transparent with this forum, sharing early product announcements, specifications, and addressing your concerns and questions. We realize the lack of availability of AirPlay in the WiiM Ultra has caused confusion and we apologize for that. The WiiM Ultra does not support AirPlay and does not function as an AirPlay receiver. At the original launch, we believed we would be able to support AirPlay, which is why many of you saw it in the initial press release. However, we were unable to include it and decided not to delay the launch further, maintaining the additional features of the streamer that provide a high-quality listening experience.

We understand this may be disappointing for our users who primarily use AirPlay, and for those users we'd suggest choosing a different WiiM solution for now. If any users have purchased the Ultra primarily for AirPlay and are unsatisfied with their purchase, the retailers will honor the return based on their policies.

The WiiM Ultra continues to provide exceptional audio, high performance, and value supporting a rich variety of options such as Chromecast Audio, Alexa Casting, Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect, Qobuz, Amazon Music, Deezer, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, and more.

We apologize for any confusion and dissatisfaction this may have caused, and we appreciate your understanding.

Thank you,
WiiM Team

Back