New user observation

Alfred Coll

Recently switched from Bluetooth to WiiM Pro Plus and have been happily listening for several weeks. This morning my internet went out for most of the day. I went back to Bluetooth, and I was shocked at the difference listening to Tidal. I was somewhat skeptical that my 77 year old ears could really hear the difference on my vintage system. Boy was I wrong. I immediately felt something was missing. Music that yesterday was exciting was now flat. When the internet finally came back, it confirmed what I had been missing. Congrats to WiiM for a product that really does deliver, and for a super reasonable price.

Thanks for sharing. Bluetooth is the least common denominator for wireless connections. The broad number of high quality alternatives supported by WiiM really does make a difference.

Recently switched from Bluetooth to WiiM Pro Plus and have been happily listening for several weeks. This morning my internet went out for most of the day. I went back to Bluetooth, and I was shocked at the difference listening to Tidal. I was somewhat skeptical that my 77 year old ears could really hear the difference on my vintage system. Boy was I wrong. I immediately felt something was missing. Music that yesterday was exciting was now flat. When the internet finally came back, it confirmed what I had been missing. Congrats to WiiM for a product that really does deliver, and for a super reasonable price.
Good for you man. Rock on.

Not all Bluetooth is bad. Codecs make a difference.
SBC or AAC are the lowest common denominators.
The aptX codecs are next on my list of choices, with LDAC at the top,

Not all Bluetooth is bad. Codecs make a difference.
SBC or AAC are the lowest common denominators.
The aptX codecs are next on my list of choices, with LDAC at the top,
Yes, there are better codecs than SBC and AAC, but WiiM chose to not implement them. aptX requires a payed license, which would add to the price of every unit sold. The LDAC encoder is free to use now, but there are still licenses fees for the proprietary decoder.

In the end they are still lossy (except for aptX lossless), even if sound quality is vastly better. So I'm quite happy that WiiM support a range of lossless wireless inputs. Plus Bluetooth.

Yes, there are better codecs than SBC and AAC, but WiiM chose to not implement them. aptX requires a payed license, which would add to the price of every unit sold. The LDAC encoder is free to use now, but there are still licenses fees for the proprietary decoder.

In the end they are still lossy (except for aptX lossless), even if sound quality is vastly better. So I'm quite happy that WiiM support a range of lossless wireless inputs. Plus Bluetooth.
Agreed. I rarely use WiiM's BT functionality for this reason. However BT does have it's advantages, primarily portability. It's impractical to use my headphone amp with an optical cable while cutting my lawn.

FYI for those interested, Darko has an op. ed. out about lossey audio. I'm purposely not providing a link to avoid starting another dumpster fire.

Back