PEQ: Graph should reflect Q value for shelf filters

harkpabst

Major Contributor
The PEQ feature in WiiM's products has developed very well over time and definitely turned into an extremely powerful tool. One great feature is the support of fully flexible filter Q values, not only for peak filters, but also for high shelf and low shelf filters.

Unfortunately, the effects of different Q values are currently displayed for peak filters, only.

For example, here are the graphs for a 200 Hz +10 dB PK filter with either Q=1.5 or Q=0.15. The difference is obvious and understood very intuitively.

PK Q 1.5 current.jpg
PK Q 0.15 current.jpg

In contrast, the graphs for a 200 Hz +10 dB LS filter currently look exactly the same for Q=1.5 and Q=0.15. But this is not what really happens.

LS Q 1.5 current.jpg
LS Q 0.15 current.jpg

My request is to visually display the effect of different Q values for shelving filters as well.

For the LS filters shown above this should look somewhat like this:

LS Q 1.5 request.jpg
LS Q 0.15 request.jpg

Although I am well aware of the fact that precise measurements should ideally be combined with listening experience, this would be a more than welcome improvement.

Please upvote if you agree, please comment if you don't.

Attachments

• LS Q 1.5 current.jpg
    LS Q 1.5 current.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • LS Q 0.15 current.jpg
    LS Q 0.15 current.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • LS Q 1.5 request.jpg
    LS Q 1.5 request.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
  • LS Q 0.15 request.jpg
    LS Q 0.15 request.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The PEQ feature in WiiM's products has developed very well over time and definitely turned into an extremely powerful tool. One great feature is the support of fully flexible filter Q values, not only for peak filters, but also for high shelf and low shelf filters.

Unfortunately, the effects of different Q values are currently displayed for peak filters, only.

For example, here are the graphs for a 200 Hz +10 dB PK filter with either Q=1.5 or Q=0.15. The difference is obvious and understood very intuitively.

View attachment 7290
View attachment 7291

In contrast, the graphs for a 200 Hz +10 dB LS filter currently look exactly the same for Q=1.5 and Q=0.15. But this is not what really happens.

View attachment 7296
View attachment 7297

My request is to visually display the effect of different Q values for shelving filters as well.

For the LS filters shown above this should look somewhat like this:

View attachment 7298
View attachment 7299

Although I am well aware of the fact that precise measurements should ideally be combined with listening experience, this would be a more than welcome improvement.

Please upvote if you agree, please comment if you don't.
I couldn't agree more.
That was exactly the discomfort I was feeling today while playing with the PEQ LS.

Thanks for the heads up.🤗

Is the Q factor maybe fix for shelf filters?
As you can see from the screenshots it can be configured in the WiiM Home App.

Also measurements performed by @Wiimer (when trying to simulate the still missing low pass and high pass filters using shelf filters) did clearly show the expected overshoot when increasing the Q value. In his case this was highly undesirable.

I think we know for sure that the Q factor is not fixed.

Back