Plex Integration (In-App and as Plexamp Player)

jxrxme

I really love the WiiM Amp so far. Most music I listen with the Amp is using Plexamp + Chromecast to WiiM Amp.

A native Plex Integration would be highly appreciated. Integrated in the WiiM Home App and additionally as Plexamp compatible player in the network since listening to music with Plexamp is way more fun.

I would absolutely beta test this feature.

Bit perfect audio, gapless playback, "sweet fades" just to name a few.
Thanks for the reply 👍🏻
Chromecast is already bit-perfekts, but it is not gapless. So gapless is nice if you have a lot of DJ-set og classical CDs ripped.

Sweet fades, what is that? Fancy way to fade in and out songs?

An issue with using Chromecast that has not been mentioned is the lack of support for multiroom audio via WiiM's Linkplay protocol.

I generally use Plex's DLNA feature for playing back my music on the WiiM, however my understanding is that many others experience memory leaks with this Plex feature which leaves the app inoperable - unfortunately, the issue is no longer being addressed by the Plex team.

Being able to leverage the Plexamp UI and autogenerated radio/playlists would be fantastic.

Last edited:
An issue with using Chromecast that has not been mentioned is the lack of support for multiroom audio via WiiM's Linkplay protocol.

I generally use Plex's DLNA feature for playing back my music on the WiiM, however my understanding is that many others experience memory leaks with this Plex feature which leaves the app inoperable - unfortunately, the issue is no longer being addressed by the Plex team.

Being able to leverage the Plexamp UI and autogenerated radio/playlists would be fantastic.
That makes sense, thanks for the info 👍🏻

Thanks for the reply 👍🏻
Chromecast is already bit-perfekts, but it is not gapless. So gapless is nice if you have a lot of DJ-set og classical CDs ripped.

All of these extra features require a Plex Pass and will only work if WiiM have PlexAmp (endpoint) running on the hardware.

All of these extra features require a Plex Pass and will only work if WiiM have PlexAmp (endpoint) running on the hardware.
Thanks for the clarifications. I have only paid the one-time-fee for Plexamp on 5$ or something like that. I dont have a PlexPass, but I have’nt been missing any features. Used Plex to a Google Chromecast before I bought my WiiM Pro. Mostly use the WiiM-app, but its possible to choose 😊

Thanks for the reply 👍🏻

Chromecast from the Plex app is not bit-perfect for me unfortunately. My audio is always resampled to 48Khz. I think this has to do with the fact that my library consists of AIF and ALAC files as I manage it from the Apple Music app (fka iTunes) on Mac.
And yes the "sweet fades" is just their fancy name for transitions... I haven't used it. :)

There's also the advantage of being logged in with your Plex account so the WiiM device should be visible as an endpoint from every Plex instance, no matter the platform. I'm pretty sure Plex(amp) running on an iOS device or a Mac would not see Chromecast endpoints and vice versa for Airplay receivers. This could be an issue especially with the current version of the WiiM Ultra, not supporting Airplay.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarifications. I have only paid the one-time-fee for Plexamp on 5$ or something like that. I dont have a PlexPass, but I have’nt been missing any features. Used Plex to a Google Chromecast before I bought my WiiM Pro. Mostly use the WiiM-app, but its possible to choose 😊
PlexPass goes on sale in May and then around Christmas time.

A real-life marshmallow experiment :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

From Plex on Truenas Scale you can't play using DLNA.
Why not? This seems like a lack of configuration. DLNA needs host networking to run properly on TrueNAS Scale.

1724064662891.png

Why not? This seems like a lack of configuration. DLNA needs host networking to run properly on TrueNAS Scale.

View attachment 10601
Yes, you are right if you are using Plex from truenas. I was using from Truechart catalog. Now it is workin but anyway it's clunky. i'd rather use native plex access.

Yes, you are right if you are using Plex from truenas. I was using from Truechart catalog. Now it is workin but anyway it's clunky. i'd rather use native plex access.
Yeah...I run a separate VM for running docker services...actually a few VMs. Then you can NFS mount whatever shares you need from TrueNAS in your docker container. Mostly run the containers using bash scripts, but recently started using docker-compose after finding a usable NFS pattern. Passing along for anyone that wants them...

YAML:
---
version: '3.6'

services:
  navidrome:
    container_name: "navidrome"
    image: deluan/navidrome:latest
    restart: unless-stopped
    read_only: true
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
    ports:
      - "4533:4533"
    volumes:
      - navidrome-data:/data
      - music:/music:ro
volumes:
  navidrome-data:
    name: navidrome-data
  music:
    driver_opts:
      type: "nfs"
      o: "addr=192.168.1.200,nolock,ro,soft,nfsvers=4"
      device: ":/mnt/tank/music"

Bash:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

NAS='192.168.1.200'
NAS_SERIES=/mnt/tank/series
NAS_MOVIES=/mnt/tank/movies
NAS_MUSIC=/mnt/tank/music
name=plex
image='ghcr.io/linuxserver/plex'

sh ./update.sh $name $image

echo "==> recreating "$name
docker create \
    --name=$name \
    --net=host \
    -e PUID=1000 \
    -e PGID=1000 \
    -e VERSION=docker \
    -e UMASK_SET=022 `#optional` \
    -e PLEX_CLAIM= `#optional` \
    -v /home/docker/plex/library:/config \
    --mount type=volume,dst=/tv,volume-driver=local,volume-opt=type=nfs,\"volume-opt=o=nfsvers=4,addr=${NAS}\",volume-opt=device=:${NAS_SERIES} \
    --mount type=volume,dst=/movies,volume-driver=local,volume-opt=type=nfs,\"volume-opt=o=nfsvers=4,addr=${NAS}\",volume-opt=device=:${NAS_MOVIES} \
    --mount type=volume,dst=/music,volume-driver=local,volume-opt=type=nfs,\"volume-opt=o=nfsvers=4,addr=${NAS}\",volume-opt=device=:${NAS_MUSIC} \
    --restart unless-stopped \
    $image

echo "==> restarting "$name
docker start $name

Bash:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# Usage: update.sh [container_name] [container_image]

name=$1
image=$2

if [ -z "$name" ] || [ -z "$image" ]; then
    echo "Error: Both container name and image must be provided."
    exit 1
fi

echo $date "==> stopping "$name
docker stop $name

echo $date "==> removing old "$name" container"
docker rm $name

echo $date "==> removing old images"
docker image prune -f

echo "==> Removing old volumes"
old_volumes=$(docker volume ls -q -f dangling=true)
if [ -n "$old_volumes"  ]; then
    echo "Removing old volumes:"
    echo "$old_volumes" | xargs docker volume rm
fi

echo $date "==> pulling new "$name" container"
docker pull $image

Being impatient I just added a DAC to my linux box that is my plex server and have the Plexamp client running so it is available to connect form desktop/mobile. The DAC goes into my Wiim Pro which in turns feeds out to all my other devices for lovely Plexamp everywhere. A Plexamp client on the WiiM would remove the need. Looking forward to it happening

Being impatient I just added a DAC to my linux box that is my plex server and have the Plexamp client running so it is available to connect form desktop/mobile. The DAC goes into my Wiim Pro which in turns feeds out to all my other devices for lovely Plexamp everywhere. A Plexamp client on the WiiM would remove the need. Looking forward to it happening
That's a good way to solve things :)

Back