Pre amp

bilski

Hi.how do you use your ultra as a pre amp? Unsure of how to connect it to my audiolab 7000a. Any help would be appreciated .

Hi.how do you use your ultra as a pre amp? Unsure of how to connect it to my audiolab 7000a. ⁵Any help would be appreciated .
Welcome.

Pre Amp really just means source selection / volume control, in my simplistic view!
Connect Ultra lline out to audiolab analog in to use wiim dac, or optical/coax/usb to use audiolab dac.
See which, if any, you prefer.
For the analog connection you can play with the Ultra line out level, e.g. 1v, 2v etc, to see what sounds best / gives you decent volume control.
I.e. as that wiim audio settings screen tries to tell you, if 2v sounds distorted, lower it. You can also lower it to allow the audiolab volume control to be more gradual and use its full range.
You can set the wiim to fixed volume to just use the audiolab volume control, or Ultra to variable to use either/ both.

Hope that was clear. Ish...

Last edited:
Well with the ultra playing music,if I turn my amp to pre power,I dont get any sound.no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Aux input.and coax to coax.im assuming this means I'm using the 7000a's dac.im now thinking to use a digital connection between my CD player and the amp to improve quality?

Thanks for the responses.
But if you have connected the Ultra to AUX-input on Your Audiolab, and have chosen the Pre/power-input on the amp - then its not strange that you get no sound. You need to move the cables from AUX til Power.

I'm not very good at this hifi lark am I? Lol. Right, so remove the rca cable and just leave coax to coax and turn audiolad to pre power?

No. That won't work.

If you want to use the WiiM Ultra as a classical preamp you must use its line output. That line output is then connected to the power input of the Audiolab, which you set to Power Amp mode. This always uses the Ultra's internal DAC. You could add an active subwoofer, if you like. You would not be using the Audiolab's preamp and DAC.

You could also connect the Ultra's line out to an aux input and use the Audiolab in Integrated mode. The volume control on the Ultra and on the Audiolab would be in use. If you would want to add an active subwoofer to the Ultra in this setup you would have to make sure to always use the same volume setting on the Audiolab, otherwise the levels wouldn't match. You would still not be using the Audiolab's DAC but the Uktra's DAC.

Finally you could connect the Ultra's coax out to the Audiolab's coax in. The Audiolab has to be in Integrated mode. The volume control on the Ultra and the Audiolab could be used, so the same thoughts about relative volume and a subwoofer would apply. You would be using the Audiolab's DAC, not the Ultra's DAC.

It all depends on what your goal is.

I'm not very good at this hifi lark am I? Lol. Right, so remove the rca cable and just leave coax to coax and turn audiolad to pre power?
As @harkpabst said, this won't work. To use the 7000A just as a power amp and using the Ultra as the (only) preamp then connect RCA cable directly to the Power In and set the 7000A to Pre/Power. This bypasses the preamp stage of the 7000A, including its DAC, and only uses it's power amp. Word of warning that this will be at full power so be wary of turning up the volume on the Ultra to 100%. Personally I use the preamp stage of the 7000A in integrated mode (so RCA to Aux1 or Coax to Coax in) to do two things. Firstly you can set a maximum startup volume (max -20dB) to avoid accidentally maxing out the volume and secondly I connect my sub to the preout (as I only have a Pro+ which has no subout). Try both and see which you prefer, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in sound quality.

If you use the WiiM as your preamp you will also need to move each device (cd player, turntable...) currently connected to the Audiolab over to the WiiM.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you answered the question, why do you desire to use the WiiM Ultra as a preamp instead of using it simply as a music streamer connected to your Audiolab 7000A?

I supose i just thought the ultra has pre amp capability,so I may as well make use of it.i bought it for use as a streamer,and use a coaxial connection to the 7000a which sounds better than the dac in the ultra even though they have the same chip.

ABAstroUK. Im gonna use the same set up as you,but without a sub. Coaxial out on ultra- coaxial in on 7000a. Im assuming that means I've no need for the rca connection between them? Have you used a trigger cable between them? I tried it, but if I go from streaming to another source, the ultra turns the 7000a off after 10 mins or so.

Finally, if I've repeated myself, or not understood your replies correctly, I struggle with cognitive brain issues as I have M.S. thanks to all who have helped.

ABAstroUK. Im gonna use the same set up as you,but without a sub. Coaxial out on ultra- coaxial in on 7000a. Im assuming that means I've no need for the rca connection between them? Have you used a trigger cable between them? I tried it, but if I go from streaming to another source, the ultra turns the 7000a off after 10 mins or so.

Finally, if I've repeated myself, or not understood your replies correctly, I struggle with cognitive brain issues as I have M.S. thanks to all who have helped.
No problem and glad you've got a solution, pleased to be able to help. I do use the trigger to turn the amp on and works great, apart from the power up delay. If you tweak the volume on the WiiM before starting to play it will trigger on, otherwise you miss the first 10s or so of music 👍

Last edited:
I supose i just thought the ultra has pre amp capability,so I may as well make use of it.i bought it for use as a streamer,and use a coaxial connection to the 7000a which sounds better than the dac in the ultra even though they have the same chip.
There's a lot of circuitry around the DAC chip so it is not surprising that the two sound different even though the two units use the same DAC chip.

You are correct there is no need for the RCA cable between the WiiM and the Audiolab.

For reference, there is one more connection scenario that has not been mentioned. It is a hybrid approach.

You could use the WiiM as the preamplifier, plugging your sources into the WiiM and then use the COAX OUT (or OPTICAL OUT) to send a digital signal to the Audiolab. The Audiolab preamplifier would be in playback chain but this would give you room correction and equalization for each of your sources plus the better sounding DAC circuitry of the Audiolab.

Have fun!

P.S. the voice interface to the WIiM in conjunction with the WiiM's built in Alexa functionality works great. I find it a lot easier to use than the app. Yes the app is much more sophisticated but if I want to play an internet radio station or something on Pandora or Spotify, I just pick up the remote press the microphone button and say, Play [radio station call letters] or Play [artist name] on Pandora (or Spotify), wait a couple of seconds and it starts playing.

No problem and Glglad you've got a solution, pleased to be able to help. I do use the trigger to turn the amp on and works great, apart from the power up delay. If you tweak the volume on the WiiM before starting to play it will trigger on, otherwise you miss the first 10s or so of music 👍
Hi astro.yes the trigger turns the amp on, but if I stop using the wiim and play a cd, the wiim goes into standby and turns the amp off.

Hi astro.yes the trigger turns the amp on, but if I stop using the wiim and play a cd, the wiim goes into standby and turns the amp off.
I am guessing the CD is not connected to the WiiM but is connected as an input to Audiolab. If you connect the CD player as an input to the WiiM, the problem should go away.

I am guessing the CD is not connected to the WiiM but is connected as an input to Audiolab. If you connect the CD player as an input to the WiiM, the problem should go away.
Actually it was my laptop.was just using CD as an example of another source. Not sure you can connect a laptop to the ultra or not.

Actually it was my laptop.was just using CD as an example of another source. Not sure you can connect a laptop to the ultra or not.
The devil is in the details. If the WiiM is not playing anything it will shutoff which will then trigger the amp to shutoff.

You can connect a laptop to the Ultra but not directly. You'll need a USB to optical or coax connector between the two. Suggestions in this thread.

Back