Pre-gain feature

I don't think that pre-gain has been introduced to ensure headroom for EQ in the first place. We already had the voluz limit for that.
Can you please explain why it has been introduced?
I am not sure about it…

I am not sure about it…
Easy. Different sources tend to play at very different levels. Not every digital source is using the full swing up to 0 dBFS. From practical experience, HDMI ARC appears.to be noticeably more quiet than e.g. Spotify Streaming. Optical outputs of different devices have different levels as well.

Analogue inputs are even more of a potential problem. So far, WiiM have designed all of their devices so that typical analogue sources will not overdrive the input. Many "modern" analogue devices (post CD) tend to supply a max. output voltage of 2 V or even slightly above. Devices or rather device classes that have been around before like phono pre-amps, tape recorders or tuners often have a max. output voltage of 500 mV or less, sometimes down to 150 mV for full signal. Connect them to a WiiM line input and you will have to constantly readjust the volume to get roughly equal loudness.

WiiM Introduced per-source volume control to mitigate the inconvenience but from my point of view that didn't work out. First off, I never felt it would work the way I intuitively expected it to. Secondly, it doesn't address the issue independently from listening sessions.

If I know that my network sources are always louder than, say, my TV and my phono pre-amp, the pre-gain gives me the opportunity to correct for that difference once and then forget about it. Switching between sources will roughly maintain the same level (unless programme material differs a lot and normalisation is not available).

In the above case I could either decrease Wi-Fi/Ethernet pre-gain or increase HDMI and line input pre-gain or go for a combination of both, hoping to get me some additional headroom to digital clipping, if needed. But that extra headroom is not the primary goal.

I am not sure about it…
“The Pre-gain feature allows precise control over the input levels of individual sources before they reach the main volume control. By adjusting the pre-gain for each source, you can ensure balanced volume levels across all inputs, minimizing noticeable differences when switching between them. This results in a more consistent and enjoyable listening experience, whether using analog or digital sources.”

“The Pre-gain feature allows precise control over the input levels of individual sources before they reach the main volume control. By adjusting the pre-gain for each source, you can ensure balanced volume levels across all inputs, minimizing noticeable differences when switching between them. This results in a more consistent and enjoyable listening experience, whether using analog or digital sources.”

When did you get your diploma from WiiM University? You constantly beat me presenting official WiiM resources. 🤣

When did you get your diploma from WiiM University? You constantly beat me presenting official WiiM resources. 🤣
No, just a standard google search of "wiim faq <subject>" when looking for anything WiiM related ;)
Just a variation of the "amazon echo help <subject>" search I've used for years to good effect on an Alexa group I've admin'ed for years...

What is then the function of the "Per-Source Volume Control" switch in the same page?

I set the pregain to lowest -10db. Volume control much more linear than couple of click get crazy loud.

It remembers the last volume setting when you used that source. I guess they could still work in conjunction with each other.
Edit: or by choice, separately.
I understand the differences, but now we have "Volume", "Volume Limiter", "Pre-Gain" and "Per-Source Volume Control".
A bit too much, IMHO...

I understand the differences, but now we have "Volume", "Volume Limiter", "Pre-Gain" and "Per-Source Volume Control".
A bit too much, IMHO...
Nobody forces you to use all. Just use what you need. I like to have a choice.
Currently I can work around my low line-in level with Per-Source Volume Control. But it needs a higher volume limit which is too high if my source is Ethernet. With Pre-Gain on line-in source I can set a volume limit which matches all sources.

A bit too much, IMHO...
Personally, I fully agree. Per-source volume control never made a lot of sense to me.

PS:
And I surely wouldn't give up "Volume" for anything else. Even if Aly volume control alters the signal by definition.

Last edited:
For those who seek convenience and do not mind bit-imperfect all these controls are tools in their quiver to alter the original stream.

Any suggested workflow for performing Volume Matching using Pre-Gain?? (More technical than "Slide CP until it sounds right; Change Input; Restart Audio Selection; Start sliding CP again")??

Personally, I fully agree. Per-source volume control never made a lot of sense to me.

PS:
And I surely wouldn't give up "Volume" for anything else. Even if Aly volume control alters the signal by definition.
In particular, I dont' understand well the difference between "Pre-Gain" and "Per-Source Volume Control".
Can someone please explain clearly such difference in the practical use?
TIA

In particular, I dont' understand well the difference between "Pre-Gain" and "Per-Source Volume Control".
Can someone please explain clearly such difference in the practical use?
TIA
See post #32 above.
Or perhaps if I refered to it as 'Per-source volume memory' does that help?
i.e. gain is always applied, 'memory' is the volume you last played that source at, before switching to a different source.

Last edited:
Back