Review in actual (July) Stereophile

Achim1811

HiFi Veteran
The last page of a quite long WiiM Amp review in the actual today received "Stereophile".
Caution: It is THEIR conclusion, no idea if I would end the same. Did not read the full review, the Amp is simply not of interest for me.
May be it is interesting for you.

IMG_3306.jpeg

Ok, it seems it is indeed interesting for some. Because I own a copy I post some private photos. Hopefully in the correct order, otherwise you will have to puzzle. The last page you have already.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.jpeg
    IMG_3307.jpeg
    973.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    888.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    813.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    961.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3311.jpeg
    IMG_3311.jpeg
    942.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3312.jpeg
    IMG_3312.jpeg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 70
A conclusion that's perhaps ever so slightly harsher than the content.

And needs to be put in context.

Not least of which is that such (apparently small) differences are not one you'd readily spot unless using an amp/speakers switching box, which is certainly not mentioned.

Also, those B&W 808s...last speakers I'd try to drive with this amp. No, not just this amp, with most amps.

What I find really remarkable is the fact that they, one of the snobbiest hifi publications on the market, although reviewed ALL the WiiMs over the time. Kind of an accolade, not?
To be honest, I love the Stereophile. Much marketing, but between the lines often more well researched info is hidden than in other publications. Of course a lot of the reviewed stuff is away from my bank account. But reading about luxury is at least amusing. 😇 I've subscribed it for so long and enjoy every new magazine. And be assured I stay skeptic.

I would be interested to know which measurement corresponds to the warmer sound of his McIntosh amp.

I would be interested to know which measurement corresponds to the warmer sound of his McIntosh amp.
A lot of people are swaggering about "warmer sound" of a DAC. He says the same about a McIntosh amp, so what? Warm is an expression as exact as cool. Its an impression everyone has different. Can you measure pain? Or joy?

IMG_3240.png

A lot of people are swaggering about "warmer sound" of a DAC. He says the same about a McIntosh amp, so what? Warm is an expression as exact as cool. Its an impression everyone has different. Can you measure pain? Or joy?

View attachment 7605
Well warm tends to imply a shift in frequency response. Of course it could be anywhere in his system not necessarily the amp.

Traditionally, warm sound has often referred to a slight boost in the 1 to 2 K Hz range.

Also, the warm sound of tube equipment comes from the addition of even harmonics that solid state equipment does not usually show.

My old Sonus Faber Cremona speakers have that boost and my tube pre-amp adds the even harmonics. This makes the sound more pleasing to many, even it if is not exactly what was recorded. It really depends on what type of music you listen to and how you perceive sound. But, once you identify those features it is pretty easy to pick out a "warm" sound.

Tbh almost every audiophile magazine seems to use words that don’t mean anything to slate cheaper devices and rate expensive weird stuff. Almost as if the industry is scared of WiiM and want to use their reviewers to snub it.

Back