Room correction (available now both on iOS and Android)

I just imagined that room modes behave probably not linearly. With more volume they reflect and intensify over-proportionally?
That subject might be more touchy than you expect.

Generally sound waves superimpose in a linear matter, that's not the problem. However, the question remains if the input signal used has an impact on the results of the measurements. And the very short (but controversial) answer is: Yes.

Different systems for acoustical measurements and room correction systems have been using different kinds of measuring signals and continue to do to this very day. Swept-sine signals as used e.g. by WiiM room correction and (mostly) REW is just one option. Other systems use input signals like e.g. pink noise, periodic noise, MLS (maximum length sequence), or proprietary signals (like e.g. Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect does). A relatively new contender is the Meyer Sound developed M-Noise, which actually was incorporated into an AES standard.

So, it's really not a small group of crazy audiofool weirdos who claim that the measurement signal's energy distribution must resemble that of real music for accurate measurements. It's real audio professionals asking for this. In theory, a Fourier analysis based on the impulse response could be obtained by really sending an infinitely short pulse to the speakers. In practice that doesn't work. You really need some amount of energy for the speaker to provide meaningful output and those not using a swept-sine signal do argue that there must be enough sound energy in the room to safely capture the rooms response.

Just increasing the volume of the swept-sine signal doesn't make that much of a difference, though. As suggested by @slartibartfast just perform a couple of different measurements at different levels with the mic in exactly the same position and you probably won't find a meaningful difference. I'm not the one to settle this debate. As with everything in real life tech, there are pros and cons to all approaches. The topic is a complex one and WiiM's current system is not the final answer to everything.

It can still be advantegous, though, in many situations. If you don't like the results, tweak them until you're satisfied.

That subject might be more touchy than you expect.

Generally sound waves superimpose in a linear matter, that's not the problem. However, the question remains if the input signal used has an impact on the results of the measurements. And the very short (but controversial) answer is: Yes.

Different systems for acoustical measurements and room correction systems have been using different kinds of measuring signals and continue to do to this very day. Swept-sine signals as used e.g. by WiiM room correction and (mostly) REW is just one option. Other systems use input signals like e.g. pink noise, periodic noise, MLS (maximum length sequence), or proprietary signals (like e.g. Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect does). A relatively new contender is the Meyer Sound developed M-Noise, which actually was incorporated into an AES standard.

So, it's really not a small group of crazy audiofool weirdos who claim that the measurement signal's energy distribution must resemble that of real music for accurate measurements. It's real audio professionals asking for this. In theory, a Fourier analysis based on the impulse response could be obtained by really sending an infinitely short pulse to the speakers. In practice that doesn't work. You really need some amount of energy for the speaker to provide meaningful output and those not using a swept-sine signal do argue that there must be enough sound energy in the room to safely capture the rooms response.

Just increasing the volume of the swept-sine signal doesn't make that much of a difference, though. As suggested by @slartibartfast just perform a couple of different measurements at different levels with the mic in exactly the same position and you probably won't find a meaningful difference. I'm not the one to settle this debate. As with everything in real life tech, there are pros and cons to all approaches. The topic is a complex one and WiiM's current system is not the final answer to everything.

It can still be advantegous, though, in many situations. If you don't like the results, tweak them until you're satisfied.
if you crank up the volume you will find major differences in bass, treble, dinamics etc. the mic might not. I use the Umik 2 for measurements because I like to experiment with eq and room correction. My living room is weird. But it is how it is. So I have done multiple sweeps with different softwares. Only the most outrageous volumes change in response when you average volume. So is it useful for room eq? Not sure. Too many variables in the equation. I have tiny ears with deep canals.

Back