ROON KILLER

Great post, really. Not too much partisan 😉 and obviously written with a certain knowledge of both systems. A fact I often miss.
For ME Roon indeed only really makes sense when running and keeping up to date a BIG stored music library. Emphasis on BIG. Streaming in Roon is a nice to have, it widens the chances for the algorithms to show more options.
I do not know if my remaining lifetime will be long enough to see that this childish bashing (a little bit unbalanced 😉) stops and everyone accepts that there, heaven thanks, are different approaches. Its like Beatles or Stones? Both! Peaceful co-existence. What me really bores are this "too expensive", "ridiculous amount of money" and all this price related arguments. We are talking about 12 to 15 € or equivalent per month for a subscription. The available hardware isn't necessarily expensive, not more than for the alternative solution. Shouldn't we expect to write with adult people each one reasonable enough to know exactly what he or she can and/or is willing to pay for this or that?
Okay - what's the cheapest Roon server capable device out there?

I have to correct myself. This Raspberry thing seems misunderstood from me. Roopie or similar are endpoints.

Yes, Roon server, new, off-the-shelf sort of deal.
The NUCROCK is based on a mini-pc, needs a bit of tinkering, but even I as a confessing noob did it with success from the very first try. And ready to run the coming Nucleus One. Less than 500.

There seem to be very inexpensive (under $200) Windows 11 PCs on Amazon. I would confirm on the Roon Community Forum, but they should be usable as Roon servers.

There seem to be very inexpensive (under $200) Windows 11 PCs on Amazon. I would confirm on the Roon Community Forum, but they should be usable as Roon servers.

I've had this when I started my build last year and always got the answer that the Rock software only works with Intel NUCS! No idea if this is still valid. If all Windows Minis work I do not know.

I've had this when I started my build last year and always got the answer that the Rock software only works with Intel NUCS! No idea if this is still valid. If all Windows Minis work I do not know.

If it has Windows 11, you don't need to use Rock. "Roon for desktop" can act as either a server or an end-point and runs on Windows or MacOS.

Rock is a customized Linux installation and only has drivers for a limited set of hardware: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en...ed-core-kit#More_about_ROCKs_hardware_support

This is the link to the various Roon downloads.
It will run on Linux but not an insatnce running on an ARM processor, which is what the RPi uses

I've spent a bit more time playing with the new Home assistant add-on, music assistant, which looks very good and can play from a local/network library as well as integrate Tidal/Qobuz/Deezer/Apple/Spotify/YTM etc for playback to a Wiim or any other DLNA/Chromecast/Airplay/Squeezeplayer device.
This looks really promising and could be a serious alternative to LMS and Roon. It is also free and can run in a Home Assistant instance on a Raspberry Pi, x86, or virtual.

www.home-assistant.io

Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

Connecting multiple music libraries to almost any smart speaker.
www.home-assistant.io
www.home-assistant.io

Last edited:
I've spent a bit more time playing with the new Home assistant add-on, music assistant, which looks very good and can play from a local/network library as well as integrate Tidal/Qobuz/Deezer/Apple/Spotify/YTM etc for playback to a Wiim or any other DLNA/Chromecast/Airplay/Squeezeplayer device.
This looks really promising and could be a serious alternative to LMS and Roon. It is also free and can run in a Home Assistant instance on a Raspberry Pi, x86, or virtual.

www.home-assistant.io

Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

Connecting multiple music libraries to almost any smart speaker.
www.home-assistant.io
www.home-assistant.io
I agree. The project looks very promising and I will follow their progress. It's better for us if more people try their hand at solving this problem. As their blog post states - there is ample demand out there for a covenient software experience that combines music sources.

However I don't like this home automation stuff to be honest even though I get that you can install the music assistant thing without the Home Assistant server. I don't need smart home stuff - I can get up and turn on the lights, haha :LOL:

I'm ok with the WHA + waiting for qobuz connect. For now... I've got LMS as well but since I don't have a big local library - don't use it frequently.

Windows 11 Pro SFF computers on Amazon for $200. Storage extra, but not expensive.

Probably not the cheapest, but pretty close.
Yes a raspberry pi based server is also a possibility if you don't have a huge library for a bit cheaper than that...

Yes a raspberry pi based server is also a possibility if you don't have a huge library for a bit cheaper than that...
Is this a recent development? A quick google says that Roon is not supported on ARM.

I'm running my trial on a Windows PC which was easy to install and performs very well.

However I don't like this home automation stuff to be honest even though I get that you can install the music assistant thing without the Home Assistant server. I don't need smart home stuff - I can get up and turn on the lights, haha :LOL:
Yes, running on top of HASS is a barrier.
I already have this to automate my home theater among other tbings.
e.g. Turn the amp on when listening to music or off when watching TV, lower the projector screen when I'm watching a movie.

I'm very impressed that Music Assistant integrates YouTube Music and Apple Music (in beta) libraries which no one else seems to have yet.

Back