ROON KILLER

I've spent a bit more time playing with the new Home assistant add-on, music assistant, which looks very good and can play from a local/network library as well as integrate Tidal/Qobuz/Deezer/Apple/Spotify/YTM etc for playback to a Wiim or any other DLNA/Chromecast/Airplay/Squeezeplayer device.
This looks really promising and could be a serious alternative to LMS and Roon. It is also free and can run in a Home Assistant instance on a Raspberry Pi, x86, or virtual.

www.home-assistant.io

Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

Connecting multiple music libraries to almost any smart speaker.
www.home-assistant.io
www.home-assistant.io

Last edited:
I've spent a bit more time playing with the new Home assistant add-on, music assistant, which looks very good and can play from a local/network library as well as integrate Tidal/Qobuz/Deezer/Apple/Spotify/YTM etc for playback to a Wiim or any other DLNA/Chromecast/Airplay/Squeezeplayer device.
This looks really promising and could be a serious alternative to LMS and Roon. It is also free and can run in a Home Assistant instance on a Raspberry Pi, x86, or virtual.

www.home-assistant.io

Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

Connecting multiple music libraries to almost any smart speaker.
www.home-assistant.io
www.home-assistant.io
I agree. The project looks very promising and I will follow their progress. It's better for us if more people try their hand at solving this problem. As their blog post states - there is ample demand out there for a covenient software experience that combines music sources.

However I don't like this home automation stuff to be honest even though I get that you can install the music assistant thing without the Home Assistant server. I don't need smart home stuff - I can get up and turn on the lights, haha :LOL:

I'm ok with the WHA + waiting for qobuz connect. For now... I've got LMS as well but since I don't have a big local library - don't use it frequently.

Windows 11 Pro SFF computers on Amazon for $200. Storage extra, but not expensive.

Probably not the cheapest, but pretty close.
Yes a raspberry pi based server is also a possibility if you don't have a huge library for a bit cheaper than that...

Yes a raspberry pi based server is also a possibility if you don't have a huge library for a bit cheaper than that...
Is this a recent development? A quick google says that Roon is not supported on ARM.

I'm running my trial on a Windows PC which was easy to install and performs very well.

However I don't like this home automation stuff to be honest even though I get that you can install the music assistant thing without the Home Assistant server. I don't need smart home stuff - I can get up and turn on the lights, haha :LOL:
Yes, running on top of HASS is a barrier.
I already have this to automate my home theater among other tbings.
e.g. Turn the amp on when listening to music or off when watching TV, lower the projector screen when I'm watching a movie.

I'm very impressed that Music Assistant integrates YouTube Music and Apple Music (in beta) libraries which no one else seems to have yet.

Audirvana is another option. Less expensive than Roon. I just don’t like that you’ve got to have a computer or server on to be able to use their service. It would be awesome if someone can come up with a mobile app version. Most phones and tablets are powerful enough to handle it, won’t it?

Audirvana is another option. Less expensive than Roon. I just don’t like that you’ve got to have a computer or server on to be able to use their service. It would be awesome if someone can come up with a mobile app version. Most phones and tablets are powerful enough to handle it, won’t it?
LMS can be run on Android devices now 😀

I use iOS devices. I guess I can get a cheap Android tablet and try it out.
If you're going to shell out for something it would be much better spent on a Raspberry Pi, and it'll probably consume less energy than a tablet (if that's your concern with having a server component).
I think with LMS all the audio goes through the server, so having that on Wi-Fi isn't ideal.

If you're going to shell out for something it would be much better spent on a Raspberry Pi, and it'll probably consume less energy than a tablet (if that's your concern with having a server component).
I think with LMS all the audio goes through the server, so having that on Wi-Fi isn't ideal.
Yes the LMS on Android is probably more suited to users who only use radio or streaming services.

For the "it's okay to have a server 🤓" crowd, Audirvana can run as a docker container

Is this a recent development? A quick google says that Roon is not supported on ARM.

I'm running my trial on a Windows PC which was easy to install and performs very well.
Roon Server is x64 only; Roon Bridge can be run on a Pi (ARM processor).

Didn't realize that it's only x86/x64. Thanks for correcting me

Back