Sample rate difference between Pro and Pro Plus for YouTube Music Premium via Chromecast Audio

jed1

Major Contributor
Today, I compared Pro with Pro Plus. I used optical outputs and fed to an external DAC. I set every settings equal for Pro and Pro Plus. When I played same tracks, some of them were played at 44.1kHz with Pro. With 'yt-dlp' (YouTube downloader), the sampling rates for these tracks are 48kHz when selecting the best audio quality option. Pro Plus can play the same tracks at 48kHz. Pro switches bewteen 44.1kHz and 48kHz depending on track.

I did factory reset for both Pro and Pro Plus, and rebooted iPhone and restarted YouTube Music app. I repeated the comparison. The same results. I don't understand what causes difference in sampling frequency between Pro and Pro Plus.

Do you have such experience?

Today, I compared Pro with Pro Plus. I used optical outputs and fed to an external DAC. I set every settings equal for Pro and Pro Plus. When I played same tracks, some of them were played at 44.1kHz with Pro. With 'yt-dlp' (YouTube downloader), the sampling rates for these tracks are 48kHz when selecting the best audio quality option. Pro Plus can play the same tracks at 48kHz. Pro switches bewteen 44.1kHz and 48kHz depending on track.

I did factory reset for both Pro and Pro Plus, and rebooted iPhone and restarted YouTube Music app. I repeated the comparison. The same results. I don't understand what causes difference in sampling frequency between Pro and Pro Plus.

Do you have such experience?
that's such an odd situation... unfortunately i cannot try to replicate your findings since i don't use Youtube Music...

but just to be clear - you're trying to chromecast the audio from the YT music iOS app to the WiiM devices??

+ i gather that you determined the sample rates of each of the songs by using yt-dip to "rip" the audio from the YT website and checking the files?? are we sure that the same files are being played in both instances - iOS app vs website? (not that it would cause the variability between the pro and pro plus that you are experiencing) have you tried playing the downloaded files directly via DLNA/UPnP to the WiiMs?

Could you hear a difference?
Not with my ears... I surely checked the latest firmware on both Pro and Pro Plus and the latest Wiim Home and YouTube Music apps. I use genuine WiiM power supply and optical cable. Everything is identical except WiiM devices. I thought WiiM Pro is identical to WiiM Pro Plus as a digital transport. But, I guess they are not for Chromecast audio.

that's such an odd situation... unfortunately i cannot try to replicate your findings since i don't use Youtube Music...

but just to be clear - you're trying to chromecast the audio from the YT music iOS app to the WiiM devices??
Yes, I use the latest YT music iOS app. I did full shutdown and restarted the YT music app for testing. I subscribe to YT Premium.

For WiiM set up, EQ is off, fixed volume is on, max sample rate / bit depth is 192kHz/24bit and ASRC is off.

Yes, I use the latest YT music iOS app. I did full shutdown and restarted the YT music app for testing. I subscribe to YT Premium.
just edited my last post - see the suggestions there... but you're right, as a chromecast endpoint the pro and pro plus should behave identically...

For WiiM set up, EQ is off, fixed volume is on, max sample rate / bit depth is 192kHz/24bit and ASRC is off.
Can you try delet the cache (or re-install) the WiiM app?

Also, please try to check it works with Pro Plus first, then delete the cache of the WiiM app, and finally check it works with Pro.

EDIT:
Where do you see the sample rate displayed? DAC or WiiM Home app?

Last edited:
I check the sample rate and bit depth with
  • WiiM Deezer, WiiM Watcher extensions for Chrome browser on Mac
  • WiiM HDMI on RPI4
  • DAC display
So, the sender (WiiM) and receiver (DAC) show same results.

Can you try delet the cache (or re-install) the WiiM app?

Also, please try to check it works with Pro Plus first, then delete the cache of the WiiM app, and finally check it works with Pro.

EDIT:
Where do you see the sample rate displayed? DAC or WiiM Home app?
Thanks @Wiimer ! I did the following steps: 1) factory reset WiiM Pro 2) delete WiiM Home App (iOS) 3) reboot iPhone 4) install WiiM Home App 5) boot WiiM Pro 6) configure WiiM Pro with WiiM Home App

It worked!

Back