SPDIF output codec - PCM - Denon M41 - No audio played

mlbch

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Denon M41, which allows to connect my WIIM Pro Airplay 2 via SPDIF.

The Denon can consume only PCM via SPDIF, in variants ranging from 32 kHz up to 192 kHz with either 16 or 24 Bit quantization.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to play back audio from the WIIM Pro from its SPDIF out. Not with the apps own "testtone" nor Apple Music on iOS (iPhone 13 Mini). The WIIM is running on the latest software. I tried all possible combinations of sample frequency/ quantization, with no joy. I also did interchange SPDIF cables and tried both inputs on the Denon.

Output is working via the analog line signal though.

Now to my questions: What codec is the WIIM pushing via SPDIF? I could not find this basic information in the manual. I assume it is not uncompressed PCM. Can anyone confirm this?

And, is there a way to have it using PCM on SPDIF?

Thanks in advance.

Note: I did search the forum in advance, but could not find answers to my questions. Please bear with me.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Denon M41, which allows to connect my WIIM Pro Airplay 2 via SPDIF.

Then Denon can consume only PCM via SPDIF, in variants ranging from 32 kHz up to 192 kHz with either 16 or 24 Bit quantization.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to play back audio from the WIIM Pro from its SPDIF out. The WIIM is running on the latest software. I tried all possible combinations of sample frequency/ quantization, with no joy. I also did interchange SPDIF cables and tried both inputs on the Denon.

Output is working via the analog line signal though.

Now to my questions: What codec is the WIIM pushing via SPDIF? I could not find this basic information in the manual. I assume it is not uncompressed PCM. Can anyone confirm this?

And, is there a way to have it using PCM on SPDIF?

Thanks in advance.

Note: I did search the forum in advance, but could not find answers to my questions. Please bear with me.
Welcome.

My first thought is, did you accidentially connect the optical lead into the INput of the pro instead of the output?
My second thought is did you choose the optical output in the wiim home app?
Only one wiim output is active at a time.
It's not really a codec that's transmitted, but a spdif protocol. Both the wiim and the denon will definitely be talking the same language here.

Does the Denon play ok using another Spdif source?

Try rebooting your WiiM Pro and if that doesn’t help, submit a ticket to WiiM thru the feedback section in the app’s settings. They’ll be able to see your device logs and perhaps identify the issue - it could be that there’s a hardware fault with the unit.

Welcome.

My first thought is, did you accidentially connect the optical lead into the INput of the pro instead of the output?
My second thought is did you choose the optical output in the wiim home app?
Only one wiim output is active at a time.
It's not really a codec that's transmitted, but a spdif protocol. Both the wiim and the denon will definitely be talking the same language here.
Right, it's going to output PCM on SPDIF

Hi @Mr Ee, I am certain not to have used the input accidentally, which is a common issue I suppose. I will need to check though (later at home) if I selected the output. There is a toggle to activate it, isnt't there? I am certain to have put this to active. The line out was not connected at the time of my first tests, but later onwards.

Hi @Brantome, no other SPDIF source was tried yet. TBH, I must check if I have any at home. But will definitely try this, that's the one thing I wanted to rule out hw-wise on the sink still. A reboot I tried already. Thanks for hinting to (and where) to create a support ticket.

Hi @bherren, thanks for confirming.

Last edited:
In the device, audio settings menus

Screenshot_20240607-224411_WiiM Home.jpg

Or in the Now Playing screen, click on where it shows the current output is, in my case where it shows COAX Out at the botton.

Screenshot_20240607-224512_WiiM Home.jpg

Back