Trigger 12v with Onkyo amp

Spicer

I bought a mono cable and plug it to my wiim pro and Onkyo but it does not work either to turn off or on the amp. I checked onkyo manual and setup properly.
Any one have idea ?

That’s what I am afraid of :( it is a 12v signal but the signal seem specific
That's why I've been asking for the model number. The manual isn't very verbose on this topic, but obviously this connection works different from a trigger input, so you are probably out of luck.

Something to consider if connection directly to the Onkyo fails.

Thanks I get the idea, if I can’t make it it’s the best way to make it

Pretty much anything that can be turned on/off with an IR or Bluetooth remote control cannot be turned on/off by applying and removing power to the A/C outlet that the unit is plugged into. You can validate my statement by turning the unit on, unplugging it from the A/C outlet for a minute and and then plugging the unit back into the A/C outlet. The will not return to the powered on state without pushing the power button.

Here's a little more info on the Onkyo R1 system:

Pretty much anything that can be turned on/off with an IR or Bluetooth remote control cannot be turned on/off by applying and removing power to the A/C outlet that the unit is plugged into. You can validate my statement by turning the unit on, unplugging it from the A/C outlet for a minute and and then plugging the unit back into the A/C outlet. The will not return to the powered on state without pushing the power button.

Thanks you are right, I do saw the manual before and apply the right parameters for me (I use the optical line). I guess I am out of options and continue to start / stop my amp manually. Thanks everyone for your help

It's not the remote, It's the functionality of the relay it initiates. If the relay is latching it will remain in the same state when power is switched upstream. As in the case with my Edifier powered speakers. Testing as you suggested will determine whether the relay is latching or non-latching.

Thanks you are right, I do saw the manual before and apply the right parameters for me (I use the optical line). I guess I am out of options and continue to start / stop my amp manually. Thanks everyone for your help
Attached is a screenshot from the manual relating to standby mode. The solution you’re looking for may be here.

Edit:
Attached full manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240528_060006_Kindle.jpg
    Screenshot_20240528_060006_Kindle.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 4
  • A-9010_En_29402015_150114_web_2022-11-02-203828_sdfw.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
But how does auto stand-by help if there's no auto wake-up?
I don't know if the unit will auto wake or not, I didn’t dive in that far and I don't own one to test. The OP will have to make that determination.

Edit:
Upon review, the manual makes no mention of an auto wake function.

Last edited:
I bought a mono cable and plug it to my wiim pro and Onkyo but it does not work either to turn off or on the amp. I checked onkyo manual and setup properly.
Any one have idea ?
Questions:
1. Is the WiiM Pro connected via Optical or Coaxial?
2. Is the corresponding RI mode switch (adjacent to the jacks) set to the appropriate position?

I can't be sure what role the RI mode switches play exactly, but if not set correctly you're unlikely to get the desired result even with other Onkyo equipment.

I control hifi devices that can't be powered cycled with the Broadlink RM4 mini "IR Blaster" connected to Home Assistant. Home Assistant reads with Wiims state (playing, paused or idle) and then sends the appropriate IR command. The combination is a learning remote, so its not necessary to know the correct IR commands.

I use both DNLA and Airplay to stream to Wiim. Mostly from Tidal. I can use Music Assistant i Home Assistant to sync Tidal Connect to multiple Wiims. In the past I used Roon to do the same. I have not tried the Wiim sync function yet.

Any one have idea ?
You can't use 12V trigger for this. OnkyoRI is proprietary protocol and works at 5V, you could damage your amp if you plug 12V trigger in.

You could use raspberry and something like this https://github.com/ahaack/onkyo-rpi to trigger commands for your specific amp. I've used it for my A-9150 and it works. Its janky, but it works.

There is no auto-start when you input signal to your amp, so you _need_ to somehow trigger turn on signal.

Im kind of in a same boat, because its class AB, i want to go to stand-by mode at night, and just power it on when wiim starts. Maybe you could make something with 12V->5V logic converters with some additional processing, i need to dig into specs for wiim to see how exactly 12V trigger is working there.

Back