Ultra HDD scanning

phrangko

What's the rate of the Ultra in scanning an external HDD? How many minutes say for 100 songs or for a 500g of song data?

Might really just be less data to read. Not sure how much of file must be read to extract its meta data.

That's a great and exhaustive comment. (y)

Mine took pretty much exactly 90 minutes for around 12000 tracks.
My reasonabely fast samsung usb stick (400/100mb speed) had around that amount of files too after around an hour scanning.
Scanned a long time and when ready the amount of songs seems to be limited to 2000 nowhere naar the 12000.
Checking my albums a lot of albums now only contain 2 files.

For now usb playing does not seems to work for a big music library...

My reasonabely fast samsung usb stick (400/100mb speed) had around that amount of files too after around an hour scanning.
Scanned a long time and when ready the amount of songs seems to be limited to 2000 nowhere naar the 12000.
Checking my albums a lot of albums now only contain 2 files.

For now usb playing does not seems to work for a big music library...
How many files should have been found?

Around 12000 in total, that is an average of 12 songs an album.
Strange thing is that 2 songs can be found for each album, it did not stop scanning albums after the first 2000.
When scanning the amount of songs was above 10000 before it ended.

I do have mixed mp3, flac and dsd files.

Last edited:
12000 is not really that much of a big collection and the number of albums and songs is certainly not the issue. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about that but that scanning of 12000 files on my Ultra went just fine, everything detected as it should. Almost exclusively FLAC and a handful of MP3s.

I also have to take back the 90 minutes I had mentioned for a full scan. That was actually using my WiiM Amp, not the WiiM Ultra. I had recorded the time for the scan on the Amp exactly, but not on the Ultra. Although the processor and memory are reportedly the same for both, scanning on the Ultra was a lot faster for me. But as I said, I didn't capture the exact time. On top of that, the last two or three firmware updates did contain improvements for the scanning process, so I cannot say if the time required is still the same.

So, what can you do?
  • Install the latest firmware and app updates.
  • Have your HDD checked for file system errors, e.g. using Windows' built-in or external tools.
  • Check all your files' ID3 tags for correctness and remove old ID3v1 tags. Tools like MP3TAG or MusicBee can help to achieve valid results and partially automate the process.
  • If this is just a copy of your music you have in a safe place you might consider to delete everything on this drive, create a fresh MBR partition and reformat it.
Personally, I'd be a little suspicious of the DSD files but that probably just paranoia.

Thanks for the hints.
Good to know that it can and should work!

I am on the latest firmware and app, received my ultra yesterday and first updated everything to be sure.
I will check my collection on de usb stick again. Maybe remove the dsd files to be sure.
Mp3tag I also used on all my mp3's.

You are probably aware that - despite its name - M3tag can handle FLAC files just as well as MP3s. In the Mp3tag options make sure to disable the writing of ID3v1 tags for best compatibility with current systems.

Today I removed all mp3v1 tags and cleaned up the disk. Rescanned the disk and now 12222 tracks were found, succes!
Even the dsd files are working now.
I did not realize it but on all devices you use you need to update the library after the full scan, but this goes really fast.
Thanks again for the hints!

Thanks for the hints.
Good to know that it can and should work!

I am on the latest firmware and app, received my ultra yesterday and first updated everything to be sure.
I will check my collection on de usb stick again. Maybe remove the dsd files to be sure.
I would be connecting a 2 TB or 5 TB hard drive to the Ultra with many DSD/DSF files on the drives. If the Ultra has issues scanning drives with DSD files on them that will be an issue for me.

I would be connecting a 2 TB or 5 TB hard drive to the Ultra with many DSD/DSF files on the drives. If the Ultra has issues scanning drives with DSD files on them that will be an issue for me.
Looks like there aren't any.

Back