Ultra HDD scanning

Select USB as your input, then when its page opens, choose the three dot menu in the top left hand corner and then “rescan your music server”

Cheers, very helpful.

I’m wanting to try a few things out and do a dummy run with a few folders, so I’m sure about how I want to go about it before doing the whole lot.

I trust a simple-scan will effectively delete anything I’ve changed?

Cheers, very helpful.

I’m wanting to try a few things out and do a dummy run with a few folders, so I’m sure about how I want to go about it before doing the whole lot.

I trust a simple-scan will effectively delete anything I’ve changed?
While it’s plugged into your pc when you’re adding folders, I’d delete the wiim_cache folder you see there and that way each rescan will start afresh. Note that this will impact any playlists you’ve set up on the WiiM as a rescan will likely change the pointers to the files in the playlist which could occur even if you didn’t delete the cache as @simbun has reported in the past. It’s not ideal tbh…

How are users getting on with this?

Specifically, if you have your music library on attached storage, then you buy and rip a new CD, take the storage out, add the new rip, and re-attach storage. Does the Ultra find and add the new rip easily enough?

Cheers.

In my experience a forced rescan on NAS music server is much better method, if it's constantly monitoring folders/files the NAS goes MUCH slower. Also if you're mass tagging, mass converting etc, it'll slow down to a crawl.

When you've done what you need ie rip/encode 25 albums then do a rescan.

That's what I do on my PI/LMS system.

Cheers.

If I don’t delete the cache, and just click on re-scan, what happens differently?

Or, put another way, what’s the advantage to deleting the cache?

Many thanks.

Cheers.

If I don’t delete the cache, and just click on re-scan, what happens differently?

Or, put another way, what’s the advantage to deleting the cache?

Many thanks.
I still wouldn’t be sure that it didn’t re-index all files anyway and still screw up playlists you had created on the WiiM - it seems to use an internal index rather than the filename in its playlists. Given we don’t know exactly how it scans (although @simbun again might be able to comment given I believe that it’s based on miniDLNA), I prefer clearing out support files before I do anything of this nature.

I still wouldn’t be sure that it didn’t re-index all files anyway and still screw up playlists you had created on the WiiM - it seems to use an internal index rather than the filename in its playlists. Given we don’t know exactly how it scans (although @simbun again might be able to comment given I believe that it’s based on miniDLNA), I prefer clearing out support files before I do anything of this nature.

Cheers. Playlists may not be necessary.

As I stream much of my music, I’m only going to be putting music I can’t stream onto the drive - the odd track/album not available on streaming, or where my CD is better sound quality.

Thank again.

Back