USB input

inca

Is the USB port usable as an input I.e. can it play media from a USB stick or drive?

Is the only way to select inputs from the phone app? There is no remote or physical selector?

Thank you.

The release notes indicate the USB port can read a flash drive.

yes but it take an input from a device like a laptop?
Not directly. For files hosted on another server/pc, you’re better off installing a competent media server like Minimserver on your PC/server and accessing the files over the network via the WiiM Home app, or something like BubbleUPNP or mConnect. Same as for all WiiM devices.

Is the USB port usable as an input I.e. can it play media from a USB stick or drive?

Is the only way to select inputs from the phone app? There is no remote or physical selector?

Thank you.
Where can I find the release notes please?

Where can I find the release notes please?

Also see this faq - note that WiiM device stand to build on the features of previous models, so while this is for the Amp, I fully expect it to cover the Ultra too

And supported media types here

Thank you. I had seen this and that was the reason for my query about USB input. The notes state:
  • Audio input
    • Bring your TV audio, recorder player, CD player, or another audio source into the digital world via either analog (RCA, Phono) or digital (Optical, HDMI ARC) port, up to 24-bit/192 kHz
  • Audio output
    • Through either analog (RCA, Headphone) or digital (Coax, Optical, USB) for connecting an amplifier or speaker

USB is only mentioned for the outputs, not the inputs? So will it play files from a USB stick?

Thank you. I had seen this and that was the reason for my query about USB input. The notes state:
  • Audio input
    • Bring your TV audio, recorder player, CD player, or another audio source into the digital world via either analog (RCA, Phono) or digital (Optical, HDMI ARC) port, up to 24-bit/192 kHz
  • Audio output
    • Through either analog (RCA, Headphone) or digital (Coax, Optical, USB) for connecting an amplifier or speaker

USB is only mentioned for the outputs, not the inputs? So will it play files from a USB stick?
Please read it all slowly.😅
-----
USB Host for Storage – Access personal media library and use it as a media server for other WiiM and DLNA devices

• Audio input
  • Audio output

Those are Audio inputs - The Ultra does not support usb audio input, say from a DAC, but does offer usb drive support which isn’t audio, but file system support.

According to the Crutchfield site…. The features/specs/ details show the usb flash drive support to be available in a future firmware release. Is it true that the usb drive support will not be available at the initial release?

According to the Crutchfield site…. The features/specs/ details show the usb flash drive support to be available in a future firmware release. Is it true that the usb drive support will not be available at the initial release?
The Amp already supports usb media so I don't see the Ultra being unable to support that too on release. I think they're confusing that with USB audio out which itself might be available at release or shortly after

So able to connect USB hard drive? Partition system supported? Maximum HD capacity?
Yes, I have an external SSD drive connected to my Amp. I’d doubt if it supported partitions, and if you’re asking questions about HD capacity, I’d seriously consider using a NAS and a better UPnP server - or stick with LMS. I find usb media support convenient for informal use, but prefer my NAS as my main repository.

Yes, I have an external SSD drive connected to my Amp. I’d doubt if it supported partitions, and if you’re asking questions about HD capacity, I’d seriously consider using a NAS and a better UPnP server - or stick with LMS. I find usb media support convenient for informal use, but prefer my NAS as my main repository.

Just interested for those that want a standalone, non networked / no off board music service, no network cable/router needed etc.

I'm interested in the WiiM Ultra. The one question I have will the USB input support DSD in the form DSF files of ripped SACDs from an external hard drive (2TB-5TB)? I looked at the WiiM Amp product page and did not see any mention of supported audio formats with the USB input or a hard drive size limitation.

I'm interested in the WiiM Ultra. The one question I have will the USB input support DSD in the form DSF files of ripped SACDs from an external hard drive (2TB-5TB)? I looked at the WiiM Amp product page and did not see any mention of supported audio formats with the USB input or a hard drive size limitation.
afaik DSD is not supported by WiiM. you can use Roon or LMS or minimserver or Home Assistant or audirvana that will convert it to PCM.

there is a thread on the forums about it here on the fourms https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/dsd-passthrough-to-a-dsd-capable-dac.3508/

Just interested for those that want a standalone, non networked / no off board music service, no network cable/router needed etc.
i highly doubt that multiple partitions are supported. why would you want that anyways, on a disk for storing music??

Back