Use Wiim Mini as AirPlay bolt-on for Ultra?

574stereo

Just a thought, the Ultra doesn't do AirPlay (as we know it couldn't get approval).

Wouldn't it be feasible to implement a software feature whereby a Wiim Mini could become some kind of an AirPlay 'bridge' for the Ultra?

Obviously there's a Persistent Groups feature in the works, this could be piggy-backed whereby a specific setting on the Mini actually casts to the Ultra...

Just a thought

It’s been suggested almost since the absence of Airplay on the Ultra became known that physically connecting a Mini via optical to the Ultra could provide a workaround, so the thought has already been expressed several times I’m afraid ;)

I'm suggesting some tighter integration than that, the method you guys are suggesting does work (I'm actually doing something similar with an Apple TV + HDMI/Optical extractor), but it could still be slicker as there's no volume control synchronisation.

I think with some slick software integration this could totally get around any complaints that the Ultra doesn't have built-in AirPlay support...

Well, you could group the mini with the Ultra in the WiiM app and use the group volume control.

Or, if you have a suitable platform, use one of the solutions on this link to provide lossless Airplay 1 support for the Ultra.

I don't see WiiM doing anything 'official' in this area until and if they resolve the absence of Airplay on the Ultra and Amp Pro

Back