What are you listening to?

Good find, I'm listening to it now. It's certainly different to anything that I have heard before. :)

This is a copy of the review in German Metal Hammer magazine. Tried Google translate, but it ended in laughter. So I tried to translate myself. If you are interested in please pardon me for my English 😉

"If you want to travel this year, you don't need to book an expensive flight:

Music on. Close your eyes.

Let it drift. The Dutch singer, musician, songwriter and producer Kati Rán is considered a genre pioneer of dark folk and embarks on a deep musical and personal journey with her second album SÁLA (named after the Old Norse word for "soul" and "sea"). In doing so, she dares historical reinterpretations, uses in-depth research as well as Nordic reinterpretations. The result? A captivating, multifaceted and haunting concept album with an oceanic theme and first-class support: by extreme metal singer Gaahl, the Icelandic women's choir Umbra Ensemble.

And the renowned Norwegian jazz musician Karl Seglem - to name just a few. The title song 'Sála' takes time to build up and impresses with Nordic-rough, almost animalistic flair, healing songs and a soothing atmosphere.

'Hefring' fascinates with enchanting melody arcs and the symbol of the bird as freedom, while 'Blodbylgje' impresses with gloomy stories and a captivating scenery. 'Segiõ Mér' is brimming with power before 'Sátta' synonymous with "peace" and "reconciliation" rounds off the record with rich Bordun tones. The cooperation of the musicians of various genres and the sophisticated use of a wide variety of traditional instruments and languages - including Norwegian, Old Norse, Icelandic and English - give SALA a multi-layered and interesting dynamic full of dedication that is unparalleled."

This is a copy of the review in German Metal Hammer magazine. Tried Google translate, but it ended in laughter. So I tried to translate myself. If you are interested in please pardon me for my English 😉

"If you want to travel this year, you don't need to book an expensive flight:

Music on. Close your eyes.

Let it drift. The Dutch singer, musician, songwriter and producer Kati Rán is considered a genre pioneer of dark folk and embarks on a deep musical and personal journey with her second album SÁLA (named after the Old Norse word for "soul" and "sea"). In doing so, she dares historical reinterpretations, uses in-depth research as well as Nordic reinterpretations. The result? A captivating, multifaceted and haunting concept album with an oceanic theme and first-class support: by extreme metal singer Gaahl, the Icelandic women's choir Umbra Ensemble.

And the renowned Norwegian jazz musician Karl Seglem - to name just a few. The title song 'Sála' takes time to build up and impresses with Nordic-rough, almost animalistic flair, healing songs and a soothing atmosphere.

'Hefring' fascinates with enchanting melody arcs and the symbol of the bird as freedom, while 'Blodbylgje' impresses with gloomy stories and a captivating scenery. 'Segiõ Mér' is brimming with power before 'Sátta' synonymous with "peace" and "reconciliation" rounds off the record with rich Bordun tones. The cooperation of the musicians of various genres and the sophisticated use of a wide variety of traditional instruments and languages - including Norwegian, Old Norse, Icelandic and English - give SALA a multi-layered and interesting dynamic full of dedication that is unparalleled."
I'm on the fifth track now, and so far the whole experience has been a little bit weird, but I will finish the album.

A lot of this piano improvisations after Jarrett bored me to death. Too many are simply clones with so much less talent. This is one of the exceptions and worth at least a try.
Beside that: As a long time bluetooth refuser for audio it is always a miracle for me how the AirPods Max performs. Without any known aptX or LDAC codecs, only AAC. Just great sounding. No clue how they do it. And it doesn't touch me that its the opposite of bit perfect and lossless. Even with this questionable but indeed fun Atmos 😝

IMG_3218.jpeg

Last edited:
Starting the day with the artist we finished it yesterday.
Gianna's biopic on Netflix is nice to see. No more, no less. A good portion of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. More important a lot of her music.
This is one of the very early albums. Hard to imagine the scandal that days about the vibrator instead of the torch in Liberty's hand. 😉

IMG_3223.jpeg

Again time for some remembrances.
Eno does Eno things. 1981. Always.
He knows David Byrne very well, has produced three albums by his Talking Heads. The collaboration "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" points to so many levels coming in the future. It is one of the first albums to introduce a new fusion music: World Beat, the marriage of "world music" with Western pop. And it makes excessive use of a production technology that had no name at the time: Sampling. Eno and Byrne built their tracks - especially the vocals - from samples of Arabic and African records. According to Eno, the highly percussive fusion music is "the vision of a psychedelic Africa."

IMG_3226.jpeg

Next old battle horse.
This time in memoriam Doug Ingle who passed a few days ago. And many nights with a then not so legal substance. "Don't bogart that....". We've been young and silly. Young no longer. Silly more and more again.

IMG_3230.jpeg

Back