What are you listening to?

Catchy choruses, hard riffs, sharp screams - what more does the fan want? Followers of Riot V, old Iron Maiden or Virgin Steele will celebrate anthems like "Redeemer", "Do What Thou Wilt", "Vendetta" or "Frost And Fire", there are no two opinions 😉. Respect, the troupe around founding member Lee Payne has achieved a really great album.

IMG_3327.jpeg

At the beginning of the 1990s, many device tests and hifi presentations ran with Clair Marlo. Songs like "Til They Take My Heart Away" or "All For The Feeling" by the Croatian-American-Canadian producer, composer and singer combined catchy pop with top sound. It didn't come by chance, because "Let It Go" came from Sheffield Lab. The recording was the result of the sound magician Doug Sax and the Grammy Award winning Bill Schnee also ensured quality.

IMG_3331.jpeg

A much smarter one than me wrote once: "Nonetheless, the pervading mood of "Listen Without Prejudice" is one of subtlety, political consciousness, and emotional desolation."

IMG_3332.jpeg

Playing with a Tidal-to-WiiM Chrome extension for londonjazzcollector, a very informative and comprehensive site for jazz fans.

IMG_2321.jpeg

Artist: Johnny Clegg & Savuka
Album: Third World Child
Song: The Scatterlings of Africa

IMG_20240606_093750.jpg

Back in 1972, aged 20 and just (and still 😉) married, I've had the chance to see them live supporting Rod Stewart at Wembley, and immediately after bought this album. Fantastic night anyway. A brilliant mix of thunderous rock and roll, a provocative look and great lyrics. Still sometimes on the platter.

IMG_3337.jpeg

"Bitches Brew" was my first double album and my first contact with Miles' music in 1970. He blew me away. This album, a mix of hip-hop and jazz, features some of his greatest energetic solos, showing how far he was always ahead of the game.

IMG_3340.jpeg

Two great listens last night.

Firstly, and sadly I don’t believe this is available for streaming, a real treat for all Buddy Holly fans - a new, alternative Chirping Crickets CD, with three new mixes of the album.

The original has been ‘de-mixed’, and then the following created : 1 - A new mono mix, 2 - A new (and for the first time) a stereo mix, and 3 - a new mix sans the backing vocal overdubs. Quite wonderful.

Secondly, the complete Beatles Rooftop Perfirmance. Again, quite wonderful.

A joyful evening’s listening.

Back