What external DAC to improve the Ultra?

LennyBruce

Before I bought the Ultra, I had a Wiim Pro connected to a Topping D30 DAC.

I didn't expect the Ultra onboard DAC to sound equal to the external Topping DAC.

It did, I could not tell the difference between the 2.

I know the Topping D30 was a "budget" option but I was wondering what options would offer a decent upgrade?

I didn't expect the Ultra onboard DAC to sound equal to the external Topping DAC.

I know the Topping D30 was a "budget" option but I was wondering what options would offer a decent upgrade?
I’m thinking about buying the new fiio k11 r2r dac. The ess Sabre dac in the ultra is great but want to try an 2r2 sound.

I wonder how a system would sound connecting the Wiim Ultra to a geshelli labs dac..

You do have to realise that to make the sound ” better ” or more earfriendly , you have to make the sound objective worse than the Ultras dac . A sinad of 113 dB is = no coloration .
I think my Rega dac R sounds better , because the constructor likes analog sound ( so do I ) , but I would never suggest that the Rega colours the sound in less way , its the opposite .

Oh, and dont listen to those Youtubers in a more serious way than pure entertainment . They make their living on reviewing expensive gear that they get for free and can sell after a positive review .
And positive it has to be, because the manufacturers will not send any new gear after a negative review . And they dont like upcomers like Ultra .

If the gear is cheap ( like WiiM ) it can get bad reviews because the price is low in the beginning and the youtuber dont earn much by selling it

Last edited:
You do have to realise that to make the sound ” better ” or more earfriendly , you have to make the sound objective worse than the Ultras dac . A sinad of 113 dB is = no coloration .
I think my Rega dac R sounds better , because the constructor likes analog sound ( so do I ) , but I would never suggest that the Rega colours the sound in less way , its the opposite .

Oh, and dont listen to those Youtubers in a more serious way than pure entertainment . They make their living on reviewing expensive gear that they get for free and can sell after a positive review .
And positive it has to be, because the manufacturers will not send any new gear after a negative review . And they dont like upcomers like Ultra .

If the gear is cheap ( like WiiM ) it can get bad reviews because the price is low in the beginning and the youtuber dont earn much by selling it
Excellent answer

If not already done, a well designed room acoustic treatment (not a random one) or if not possible due to external causes (WAF), an active dsp room correction (I mean something more sophisticated than the WiiM one), I believe that could improve the overall results in much more better way than any other new Dac. 😉

If not already done, a well designed room acoustic treatment (not a random one) or if not possible due to external causes (WAF), an active dsp room correction (I mean something more sophisticated than the WiiM one), I believe that could improve the overall results in much more better way than any other new Dac. 😉
Using the peq function manually in the ultra with some shelving at the right frequencies for your room and speakers will give most people a soundquality lift . Bigger than switching dac.

If you have real measurement gear , + the skills, you can get better result by doing it manually with peq and REW than using Dirak or similar .

That‘s exactly what I wanted to write just now. Thanks for doing the job!

Using the peq function manually in the ultra with some shelving at the right frequencies for your room and speakers will give most people a soundquality lift . Bigger than switching dac.

If you have real measurement gear , + the skills, you can get better result by doing it manually with peq and REW than using Dirak or similar .
Definitely but Dirac does a very good job, much more effective than audissey for example or the Yamaha’s one. It's a very good step from the highly automated correction systems and just before the manually sophisticated like Rew with external dsp.

Definitely but Dirac does a very good job, much more effective than audissey for example or the Yamaha’s one. It's a very good step from the highly automated correction systems and just before the manually sophisticated like Rew with external dsp.
I recently switched to a NAD C399 amplifier, a great choice so far, with audible improvements over a rather small Marantz predecessor. I have dispensed with the Dirac module for the moment. But, knowing me, the devil will be back soon…

Can anyone describe the differences between WiiM RC and Dirac from their own experience, in terms of sound. I'm always interested in the sound in the whole room, not just the sweet spot. Here I could imagine that Dirac offers advantages...

I like Schiit Audio DACs (preferably multibit R/2R designs). Those connected via USB (with Schiit’s Unison port) will be better than anything internal to a WiiM unit. Better in the sense of close to reality, not color preference. Start with a Modi Multibit 2. IMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
Before the NAD C3050LE I had an all analogic couple and did many measurements with calibrated microphone, with Rew and HouseCurve. I have also a subwoofer and measure results let me correctly adjust level and crossover frequency. Then with the WiiM mini PEQ I corrected some resonances and peaks. All was satisfactory and I think it's more or less what WiiM room correction does.
I was thinking to buy an external dsp and go beyond, since mine was just levels correction and not time nor phases fix were present. Then I came in Dirac on a showroom shootout and results were so convincing that I decided to go with it, my boomeristic soul, didn't resist to vu meters also...
Final results at home are so astounding that I ask myself how I did before. Response of subwoofer is so controlled and thight making me recall the old good times in recording studio. Listening position is now much less affected by resonances and when moving in the room, those nodes are much more leveled.
If you already have Dirac, try it. The supplied version with Mdc cards, work just up to 500Hz but is the more important range. I bought the full extension to correct a hunchback around 1khz, it worth it...

Last edited:
I think you really have to step up to an expensive high end DAC to hear a difference. I tried a Topping D50 III with balanced TRS/XLR connection connected to a clean playing Class D power amplifier. I could not hear any improvement compared to just the Wiim Ultra via RCA connections and through my Wharfedale Linton speakers. I returned the Topping and bought a decent subwoofer instead.

I think you really have to step up to an expensive high end DAC to hear a difference. I tried a Topping D50 III with balanced TRS/XLR connection connected to a clean playing Class D power amplifier. I could not hear any improvement compared to just the Wiim Ultra via RCA connections and through my Wharfedale Linton speakers. I returned the Topping and bought a decent subwoofer instead.
This.

Yes.
There are people here who claim to be able to hear a difference and recognise the manufacturer of the chip in the DAC but I’m not one of them!
I’m not either. I don’t have Superman levels of hearing. Just normal 53 year old ears.

We now know who is deaf or partially deaf and commenting about audio products in these posts. 😀

Back