Why Roon?

Kampernaut

Please can any Roon users explain to me why they pay for the service in addition to streaming services they might use?

Apple Music is my main source. I realise Roon doesn't work with it, but I am curious to know how Roon might help me enjoy music more.

Integration of files playback and streaming services, DSP functions (upscaling, PEQ), gapless playback, superior search function for classical material.
I see, since I only listen to 5 songs roon is irrelevant to me. The features you mention doesn’t mean a jack to me. No roon for me!

Integration of files playback and streaming services, DSP functions (upscaling, PEQ), gapless playback, superior search function for classical material.
Aren't the streaming services limited in Roon? No podcasts, for example. What integrator is used for Internet radio?

Aren't the streaming services limited in Roon? No podcasts, for example. What integrator is used for Internet radio?
Tidal and Qobuz integration. Built in radio streaming works great

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240904-111010.png
    Screenshot_20240904-111010.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 8
I just mention one in tread not long ago. The remaining 4 is up to you to guess. Hint, old music that hardly anybody listen to them.
Correction: You already mentioned two of your five songs, so there's only 3 left to guess. 😁

I don't use Roon, but I see what people love about it. HiFi studios also love it. All you need is one tablet per salesman and they can stream almost everything (from all supported services) from a unified GUI to all Roon enabled endpoints. ;)

Last edited:
Please can any Roon users explain to me why they pay for the service in addition to streaming services they might use?

Apple Music is my main source. I realise Roon doesn't work with it, but I am curious to know how Roon might help me enjoy music more.
I'm with you. If you don't have a library of songs on your computer, I don't see the point of Roon. Plus they don't support Amazon Music. Too pricey as well.

I'm with you. If you don't have a library of songs on your computer, I don't see the point of Roon. Plus they don't support Amazon Music. Too pricey as well.
You'd be right , Roon was designed to integrate files playback and streaming services.

Internet connection required also. Not a off line function.

This is a bad time to say this, but Sonos has a hundred times as many streaming services available, and integrates local files.

This is a bad time to say this, but Sonos has a hundred times as many streaming services available, and integrates local files.

And an app that hasn't had bugs for the six months, and people aren't throwing their sonos's in the bin out of frustration to buy other products. Nope!

This is a good observation. LMS can operate without an Internet connection for local file playback.

Which means it's a rental service, if they go under you have a useless $800 cost, or the months you've paid for it and no longer able to use it in the future.

Unless if they go bust and release a "offline version" which I doubt. Nor is it open source, so unlike LMS, support will end

Ideally Wiim app/firmware should be open source also

Back