Wiim Amp connection to macbook?

Laurenthu

Hello all!

I am looking at the Wiim Amp but something is unclear: what can you connect to the USB port? Can it play the role of a connected DAC if I connect it directly to my macbook? I am looking for the best way to connect it (not via Airplay which is slow) to my macbook or any PC laptop...

The USB input is purely for storage such as a USB memory stick or drive, not a data/audio stream from a PC or MAC.

WiiM devices are usually controlled by the WiiM Home app which can source its music from files held on a media server or internet streaming service, for example.

Yes it makes sense except if you want to use it as a desktop amp, which honestly would seem perfect - but then no USB connection. I might try via HDMI but it's more complicated then, or using an USB to optical converter (again complicated).

Not if I want to use the very good DAC inside the Wiim Amp, no... That would be the goal here!

Not if I want to use the very good DAC inside the Wiim Amp, no... That would be the goal here!
In that case, I guess you'd need a USB to spdif convertor like this device as I'd doubt you'd have much luck with a compatible HDMI ARC connection that the WiiM Amp would need.

Why is using some sort of media server on your macbook not suitable? What media do you want to play on the Amp?

Films played locally on my Mac for example, or Youtube videos.
Thanks for the tip, this is what I thought, it just makes things more complicated for my use case.

Yes very true, but Airplay is also highly inconvenient for such secnarios, due to the lag in play... It is really uncomfortable if I want to use this amp as my main audio system on this macbook!

Yes very true, but Airplay is also highly inconvenient for such secnarios, due to the lag in play... It is really uncomfortable if I want to use this amp as my main audio system on this macbook!
Fair point re potential lip sync issues, although you might have hoped that was something that Apple would recognise when playing video on their kit and airplaying the audio elsewhere...

Erm, I am new to the audio stuff and just got myself a Wiim amp with the same dilemma on what type of connection from my laptop to the Wiim amp. So if we would like to utilize the very good DAC, then the input must be optical/HDMI eARC? How about the 3.5mm to RCA? RCA input will bypass the DAC inside the amp? Thanks in advance.

Erm, I am new to the audio stuff and just got myself a Wiim amp with the same dilemma on what type of connection from my laptop to the Wiim amp. So if we would like to utilize the very good DAC, then the input must be optical/HDMI eARC? How about the 3.5mm to RCA? RCA input will bypass the DAC inside the amp? Thanks in advance.
Rca from laptop into amp will use the laptop dac.
And then the amp will convert the rca input back to digital, and then back to analog again.
I'd be surprised if a laptop's hdmi port worked like an arc connection to be able to connect to the amp that way.
Not many laptops have optical, do they? Although there was mention here about some macs having optical.

What @Mr Ee said.

Why do you need to connect your laptop, anyway? What would be your sources? The WiiM Amp with its app supports all kinds of steaming services. It can access DLNA/UPnP servers in your network. If you have music files stored locally on your laptop, you could copy them to a USB thumb drive and plug that right into the Amp.

Last edited:
Rca from laptop into amp will use the laptop dac.
And then the amp will convert the rca input back to digital, and then back to analog again.
I'd be surprised if a laptop's hdmi port worked like an arc connection to be able to connect to the amp that way.
Not many laptops have optical, do they? Although there was mention here about some macs having optical.
Thanks! That solved my doubts.

What @Mr Ee said.

Why do you need to connect your laptop, anyway? What would be your sources? The WiiM Amp with its app supports all kinds of steaming services. It can access DLNA/UPnP servers in your network. If you have music files stored locally on your laptop, you could copy them to a USB thumb drive and plug that right into the Amp.
Because I would love watching Netflix on my laptop so yeah, we need it to be hooked up to the laptop. That's the main purpose apart from listening to music. :)

Best way to do this is with a WiiM Mini or Pro, digital out to a DAC with optical, coax and USB inputs. Then the DAC acts as a preamp out to powered monitors.

My DAC auto switches to the active input, so it’s simple to watch YooToob videos on my PC, then switch to streaming audio via the WiiM.

No airplay lip sync delay in my experience (sending iTunes audio to Wiim when watching video in itunes for example)
Optical Toslink to wiim works in my mac setup (not all macs have this option) and uses the wiim amp’s DAC.
Mac to Apple TV (via wireless or wired network) then, from the TV attached, via HDMI ARC —> Wiim Amp works perfectly.

Last edited:
Is it better for me to get a topping e30 ii for example, and do the connection like this?

USB -> topping e30 ii -> RCA -> Wiim amp -> Speakers

Would it be redundant? Or would it be better to just get a USB to optical converter and do the connection like this:

USB -> Converter -> Optical -> Wiim amp -> Speakers

iIf you’re connecting via line in, optical or UPnP via wired or Wi-Fi network connection then you‘re accessing the WiiM internal DAC. My (late 2014) Mac mini‘s headphone out is also the optical out, so I just plug a Toslink cable with a mini plug at one end straight into the mac. i found this review useful Darko.audio WiiM amp review

Last edited:
Back