Wiim amp low bass and low stage

I'll summarize my setup again as it was before and as it is now:

This is how it was in the past:
- the Onkyo-AVR HDMI-out was connected to the Samsung TV (model: UE50J5150)
- sound for cable TV was connected to the Onkyo-AVR TV-in using a cinch cable on the rear jack/headphone output
- my Android box = Nvidia Shield is connected to one of the HDMI-ins on the Onkyo-AVR with HDMI.

This setup was "annoying" and was not W.A.F compatible, as I always needed 3 remote controls.

1 for classic TV,
1 volume control Onkyo-AVR,
1 to operate Nvidia Shield.

I was then able to set it up using an infrared USB adapter (Flirc2) on the Nvidia Shield so that the Samsung remote control could control the Shield. So far so good, one remote control less.
Although the Shield was connected with HDMI, to the AVR or directly to the TV, CEC never worked. I had to use Trick17 (infrared USB adapter).

The volume on the Onkyo AVR was fixed at 30% and I then controlled the volume via the Shield with the Samsung remote control. It just looks a bit strange because it shows two volume bars because the remote controls both devices at the same time. One for the TV (but it has no effect) and one for the Shield.

Now the Onkyo is broken and we no longer use cable TV, just the Shield with Waipu TV and Netflix.

Setup now:
- the Nvidia Shield is connected to the HDMI on the Samsung TV
- sound goes from the Samsung TV to the Wiim Amp once with a cinch and once with an optical cable. (so that the two can be compared)

I have already tested/found the following on the Wiim:
- the sound over cinch is flatter than over an optical cable
- the EQ at least plays music in a way that suits me, with an optical connection. I still find it a lot tinnier over cinch and therefore not good.
- I don't think either is good for films on Netflix. The TV speakers almost sound better! That can't be right!
- over optical it even sounds as if the speakers are further apart. Over cinch it sounds "closer" again and therefore better.
- if I want to use optical, I have to explicitly set the sound output on the TV to "external speakers". Then the volume is fixed and I can no longer control the volume using the remote control. (In addition, a large message window from Samsung appears telling me to control the external speakers separately)
- I can still control the volume via the RCA using the remote control
- the automatic room correction, i.e. calibration using the iOS app, works. But it's still too shallow for my taste. The parametric EQ can definitely get something out of it, but it's very complicated. The normal EQ has presets and is therefore easier to use.
- the noise comes from the RCA at 100% TV volume. You can also hear a slight "scratching" when the sound is played.

The biggest drawback, however, is that I can't control the volume with the TV remote control when I'm using optical audio. But that's the only way the sound quality is good.

I would basically have to use the poorer RCA to be able to control the volume.

I use the Logitech Harmony as a "one remote does all" solution but of course it's not the cheapest of solutions. You can run a "profile" of different devices depending on your activity so in your example, while watching the Shield the remote would still play/pause etc but the volume control would be directed at your Wiim (yes it deals with IR and bluetooth remotes).

Now of course they're no longer available as a new product, you may be able to pick one up 2nd hand or there are other solutions but I can't comment on how effective they are.

I'm not looking forward to the day my remote dies or Logitech remove the back end support.......

I use the Logitech Harmony as a "one remote does all" solution but of course it's not the cheapest of solutions. You can run a "profile" of different devices depending on your activity so in your example, while watching the Shield the remote would still play/pause etc but the volume control would be directed at your Wiim (yes it deals with IR and bluetooth remotes).

Now of course they're no longer available as a new product, you may be able to pick one up 2nd hand or there are other solutions but I can't comment on how effective they are.

I'm not looking forward to the day my remote dies or Logitech remove the back end support.......
The WiiM remote is not compatible with Harmony. You might find some entries for WiiM in the harmony database (I don’t know how they got there) but they don’t work.

The roomcorrection create this, and I adjust number 3 with 80hz, 8db and 0,56

Screenshot_20240710_212307_WiiM Home.jpg

This what i want:
Screenshot_20240710_212616_WiiM Home.jpg

The roomcorrection create this, and I adjust number 3 with 80hz, 8db and 0,56

View attachment 8918

This what i want:
View attachment 8919
As of now, you can either use the PEQ based room correction or you can adjust the sound to your subjective liking using GEQ.

RC results look very reasonable. But if it doesn't match your personal taste, then it doesn't.

You cannot expect any automated process to take into account your personal preferences, though. Not yet. Maybe in the near future ...

As of now, you can either use the PEQ based room correction or you can adjust the sound to your subjective liking using GEQ.

RC results look very reasonable. But if it doesn't match your personal taste, then it doesn't.

You cannot expect any automated process to take into account your personal preferences, though. Not yet. Maybe in the near future ...
You would need to choose a very strange target curve to get close to that response 😀

Here you can see if you use the optical output on the Samsung and then want to control the volume with the TV remote control.
20240710_213125~2.jpg

I was able to trick the TV though. If a cable is connected to the jack/headphone output at the same time, the volume can be controlled again. The only flaw is that 2 volume controls are then displayed.

Polish_20240710_223734657.jpg

I noticed something else:
When I set the TV to optical out, the Output volume is fixed. (RCA cable not connected) Wiim amp is set to max volume.

But the maximum volume is only a liitle bit more the to room volume. Why is it so "quiet"?

But the maximum volume is only a liitle bit more the to room volume. Why is it so "quiet"?
You need to ask Samsung.

As I said, the WiiM Amp van put out full power when the input signal is 0 dBFS.

The WiiM remote is not compatible with Harmony. You might find some entries for WiiM in the harmony database (I don’t know how they got there) but they don’t work.
Fair enough. Something I didn't think of yesterday and won't be able to test before I go away for a week and may not be correct. The remotes are paired to the Wiim devices, the ones on the Logitech database wouldn't work for others because of this.

It may be the case, (and I stress may) that a local "learned" remote would work as in theory it's replicating the output of that specific remote. However the pairing may override this. 🤷‍♂️

Fair enough. Something I didn't think of yesterday and won't be able to test before I go away for a week and may not be correct. The remotes are paired to the Wiim devices, the ones on the Logitech database wouldn't work for others because of this.

It may be the case, (and I stress may) that a local "learned" remote would work as in theory it's replicating the output of that specific remote. However the pairing may override this. 🤷‍♂️
I’m a long term harmony hub user and while you can learn the IR codes of an other remote, you can’t do that with Bluetooth remotes. WiiM (or more exactly the company who make their remotes) would need to liaise direct with Logitech, I guess in the same way Amazon did with their fire tv remotes which are similar in some respects.

It’s a dead end unfortunately, unless you want to down the road of a project like this which accepts IR codes and maps them on to the WiiM’s http api for limited control.

Back