WiiM amp subwoofer output port voltage?

fredofredo

Hi all,
Here's one I haven't found any information on from doing a search. Is there sufficient voltage and current at the Amp's RCA sub out jack to drive two subwoofers via a Y-splitter? The subs in question (SVS) can be daisy-chained so I wouldn't need to deal with this, but they're located in different spots in the room, meaning I'd have two really long sub cables to get them both connected. Ugly. If I could run the Y-splitter off the Amp OTOH, significantly more convenient and significantly shorter sub cable runs. Any ideas?

Voltage is never a problem with parallel connections (like Y splitters). It will just remain the same(*1) with one or two subs.

Demanded current will be doubled, but that shouldn't impose a problem, either. Typically, the input impedance of low level inputs is in the region of 10 kOhm to 22 kOhm. The SVS subs seem to sit in the middle with usually 16 kOhm. These are high loads, so the resulting current is minimal. A single sub of one brand might result in roughly the same load as two subs in parallel of another brand.

To sum it up, there should be nothing to worry about. If you can, check the levels of both subs and adjust if not perfectly equal.

*1: Unless the Amp could not deliver enough current into the connected load, so the voltage would drop. Since this is hardly an issue here I hid this comment away in a footnote.

Great, that makes sense. I didn't think to look up the input impedance of the LFE inputs on the SVS site, which you apparently went to the effort to do here. So thanks! If the Wiim Amp sub out was so wimpy it couldn't drive an 8 kOhm load, it would be a real problem, and would be noticed by the end user as needing to boost the gain significantly at the sub end to get decent output volume even with just one sub. That's clearly not a problem that anyone has reported, so all should be fine.

Back