WiiM Amp vs Purifi 1ET400A High-End Class D

layer9

Hi guys,

FWIW I received my Apollon Purifi 1ET400A Eigentakt power amplifier today which I am running with my WiiM Pro Plus as preamp & my Elac Vela FS 409.2 speakers.

IMG_7953.jpeg

IMG_7952.jpeg

Reason is that I wanted to find out whether such a High-End Class D Amp actually sounds better than the rather cheap TI TPA3255 from the WiiM Amp and whether I would hear the more „headroom“ of a 2x425W amplifier compared to 2x120W.

So the answer is: No, at least to my ears and with my speakers there is zero audible difference. WiiM Amp is enough to drive even my rather large speakers! I am now at the point where I must admit that electronics seem completely overrated!

Will keep the WiiM Pro Plus and Purifi however as Confirmation Bias tells me that it won’t get better than this at the moment. So I know that this is endgame for electronics and can not sound any better.

Michael

there is zero audible difference
Wow! That's a significant statement when the Apollon in over 1000euros and Purifi is considered by some about the best Class D you can get. Anyone else done similar comparisons with Hypex, Purifi or top-shelf class D?

On day two I must say that I am not sure anymore whether still is a difference. Since yesterday I am more enjoying listening at higher volume, even to the point going up to 100% in the WiiM Pro Plus. With 12,8db on the Purifi and my speakers that is, dependent on the music being played, about 80-85dbA.

Actually I almost never listened that loud with the WiiM Amp because at some point I was quickly fatigued. Not so with the Purifi - feels somehow that not the music is getting only louder, but the dynamics are. That of course is absolutely subjective and hard to explain. And could me imagination as well. I am however not interested in comparing anymore but only enjoying the music (which might be a good sign actually).

At least from what I can say: Performance with WiiM Pro Plus, my speakers and the Purifi is stellar for me now. I am really very statisfied.

On day two I must say that I am not sure anymore whether still is a difference. Since yesterday I am more enjoying listening at higher volume, even to the point going up to 100% in the WiiM Pro Plus. With 12,8db on the Purifi and my speakers that is, dependent on the music being played, about 80-85dbA.

Actually I almost never listened that loud with the WiiM Amp because at some point I was quickly fatigued. Not so with the Purifi - feels somehow that not the music is getting only louder, but the dynamics are. That of course is absolutely subjective and hard to explain. And could me imagination as well. I am however not interested in comparing anymore but only enjoying the music (which might be a good sign actually).

At least from what I can say: Performance with WiiM Pro Plus, my speakers and the Purifi is stellar for me now. I am really very statisfied.
Are you using EQ?

Yes, but I have carried over the same settings from my WiiM Amp to the Pro Plus so this has not changed.

I am currently listening to „My Soul Remembers“ from Sophie Zelmani and this sounds exceptional!

Yes, but I have carried over the same settings from my WiiM Amp to the Pro Plus so this has not changed.

I am currently listening to „My Soul Remembers“ from Sophie Zelmani and this sounds exceptional!
You should probably run the RC again with the new amp.

Did that already and the curve was nearly the same:

Old one:

IMG_7983.jpeg

New one:

IMG_7984.jpeg

Can‘t really hear a difference between them.

I‘m so happy I needed to make a short (and probably inexpressive) recording :)

vimeo.com/968234771

Password: mezadi79

It really sounds stellar in my room. Very very satisfied.

Last edited:

Having the Purify get better at higher volume makes a lot of sense actually :)

Guys

After almost a week of testing I can say that the Purifi is clearly better with my speakers than the WiiM Amp was.

I also can determine the main difference now. With the WiiM Amp, I mostly listened at rather low volume (which sounded great). But when moving up the volume, I became quickly fatigued because I found everything too bright.

Not so with the Purifi - now when turning up the volume the low frequencies become louder as well and this leads to a MUCH more pleasing experience when hearing at higher volume which also is MUCH less fatiguing. In fact, cranking up then volume makes a lot of fun now :) So the main difference is in the lower frequencies. Almost feels like there is now a subwoofer where no one actually exists.

Maybe this indeed has to do with the difference in power between the two amps. So there actually is a difference in sound between different amps - or at least in their ability to control the speakers, which in turn translates to a different sound.

At lower volume the difference is not audible however (at least for me).

btw. Interestingly the Purifi runs also much cooler than the WiiM Amp, despite the large difference in power.

Michael

Yes, maybe it’s also confirmation bias. But I actually never enjoyed listening at higher volumes like now before so I‘m no sure if it’s only psychological now.

Back