WiiM Amp with external DAC and amplification

joostdh

When I first heard of the WiiM Amp I knew it would be the best solution for our living room, with “our” being me and my family. I was not particularly happy with the Denon (stereo) receiver I had (DRA-800H) and I sold that to largely pay for the WiiM Amp.

Functionally the Amp is perfect for me. Used sources in order from most to least used are Spotify, streaming Radio, HDMI (arc), phono and AirPlay. Phono is pre-amped with the Cambridge Audio Duo and the TV is always fed from an AppleTV 4K. The auto switching is great and works well between all the sources except for the analog input but as I have to get up to turn on the CA and physically put the record on, it’s not a hassle.

I’ve take multiple stabs at room correction. I find it works quite well but the correction I use now - and like the best - is one derived from a housecurve app measurement which I manually tweaked.

If there was anything about the WiiM Amp I was still apprehensive about, it would be the amplification. It seems slightly underpowered for the Dali Oberon 7 speakers, not necessarily in volume but more in punch / dynamics. That’s why my interest was piqued when I heard about the Fosi V3 mono amps and I ordered two via the Kickstarter. I thought I was going to use them with the announced WiiM Ultra (as many others). Unfortunately the whole lack of AirPlay threw me off that plan. The Amp Pro could also have been a solution except for … well you know.

Fortunately WiiM is great in adding so many useful functions to their products, such as the USB out function. I purchased the Topping D10 Balanced DAC and since last weekend this is my setup: AppleTV/Phono/Streaming > WiiM Amp > Topping D10b > Fosi V3 Mono > Dali Oberon 7.

And all is now well 🙂 If you got this far, thank you for reading.

IMG_8997.jpeg

IMG_8999.jpeg

When I first heard of the WiiM Amp I knew it would be the best solution for our living room, with “our” being me and my family. I was not particularly happy with the Denon (stereo) receiver I had (DRA-800H) and I sold that to largely pay for the WiiM Amp.

Functionally the Amp is perfect for me. Used sources in order from most to least used are Spotify, streaming Radio, HDMI (arc), phono and AirPlay. Phono is pre-amped with the Cambridge Audio Duo and the TV is always fed from an AppleTV 4K. The auto switching is great and works well between all the sources except for the analog input but as I have to get up to turn on the CA and physically put the record on, it’s not a hassle.

I’ve take multiple stabs at room correction. I find it works quite well but the correction I use now - and like the best - is one derived from a housecurve app measurement which I manually tweaked.

If there was anything about the WiiM Amp I was still apprehensive about, it would be the amplification. It seems slightly underpowered for the Dali Oberon 7 speakers, not necessarily in volume but more in punch / dynamics. That’s why my interest was piqued when I heard about the Fosi V3 mono amps and I ordered two via the Kickstarter. I thought I was going to use them with the announced WiiM Ultra (as many others). Unfortunately the whole lack of AirPlay threw me off that plan. The Amp Pro could also have been a solution except for … well you know.

Fortunately WiiM is great in adding so many useful functions to their products, such as the USB out function. I purchased the Topping D10 Balanced DAC and since last weekend this is my setup: AppleTV/Phono/Streaming > WiiM Amp > Topping D10b > Fosi V3 Mono > Dali Oberon 7.

And all is now well 🙂 If you got this far, thank you for reading.

View attachment 12514

View attachment 12513
too bad there wasn't just a classic "pre-out" release...
(phono mm, headphone, pre-out.. like many mini-systems denon yam teac onkyo etc etc the challenge being to achieve it in a qualitative manner too...)
can be their next....
:oops:

Last edited:
too bad there wasn't just a classic "pre-out" release...
(phono mm, headphone, pre-out.. like many mini-systems denon yam teac onkyo etc etc)
can be their next....
:oops:
Wouldn't that be an Ultra (sans the screen)? ;)

Every new device based on Linkplay's new A98D Wireless Smart Audio Module will probably be lacking an AirPlay licence, at least for the foreseeable future.

Wouldn't that be an Ultra (sans the screen)? ;)

Every new device based on Linkplay's new A98D Wireless Smart Audio Module will probably be lacking an AirPlay licence, at least for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, I was coming to the same conclusion that that module was the fly in the ointment…

While you can find a summary of the features of the A98 which includes airplay, I can’t find a similar description of the A98D on Linkplay’s website.

Back