WiiM Amp

My initial PCB version 4 did already have the swapped/corrected RCA input colour coding.

No idea if all PCB version 2 units got it wrong.
Mine has PCB V4.
Did you change yours V4 for a V5? If so, any noticeable differences in transformer hum or anything else?

Mine has PCB V4.
Did you change yours V4 for a V5? If so, any noticeable differences in transformer hum or anything else?
My PCB V4 has been perfectly quiet. I did return it strictly for some (minor, but still too annoying for me) mechanical issue.

Didn't give the PCB V4 any extended listening, let alone measurements.

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where do I find the PCB version?
I have looked at the packaging, the amp and also in the app, nowhere a mention of PCB...

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where do I find the PCB version?
I have looked at the packaging, the amp and also in the app, nowhere a mention of PCB...
In none of the places you looked for it. :D

It's not written anywhere on the product or packaging, you can extract that information from the HTTP API. In the web browser of your choice enter

and replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the actual IP address of your device. You can look it up e.g. in the WiiM Home App, device settings, network status.

Your browser will be warning you about an invalid TLS certificate. Ignore this warning and you will receive a very long sequence of characters. It's a JSON file, but all you need to do with it is to search for the term PCB_version and the number following that term.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

"PCB_version": "2"

Bought my amp end of December.

My PCB V4 has been perfectly quiet. I did return it strictly for some (minor, but still too annoying for me) mechanical issue.

Didn't give the PCB V4 any extended listening, let alone measurements.
Two V4 units, both have the coilwhine issue. Pretty much the same as the V2 had. No idea what Wiim has been doing. And it's not like I am more sensitive. I even put both of them directly next to Loxjie A30, SMSL A100, Onkyo TX-L50. None of the other devices produce any noise of even remotely the same volume. Maybe they just cheaped out on the transformers and capacitors and that's why some devices have this issue.

Two V4 units, both have the coilwhine issue. Pretty much the same as the V2 had. No idea what Wiim has been doing. And it's not like I am more sensitive. I even put both of them directly next to Loxjie A30, SMSL A100, Onkyo TX-L50. None of the other devices produce any noise of even remotely the same volume. Maybe they just cheaped out on the transformers and capacitors and that's why some devices have this issue.
Bummer, this just proves the already known fact that there is no 100% correlation between coil whining and PCB_version 2.

Speculating about the reasons won't get you anywhere. If your unit is faulty, return it.

wish they put an icepower 125asx2 or similar in instead, retail price would be a little higher but they are descent amps and very reliable.

iv seen lots of problems with various hypex amps. a buddy purchased one of the top models, after a unusual load the entire output stage burned itself to death. the icepower on other hand sensed a problem and turned itself off and worked 100% after powering up again.
also notice how small their datasheets are in comparison. icepower is a more professional company imo that takes more things into account than the lowest possible thd.

When I listen to streaming music, the volume level is <40% and is plenty loud.
Attached HDMI arc to LG tv and the volume level on the amp has to be >80% to reach the same sound level.
The amps output volume changes with the tv volume level, so I don't seem to be able to raise the TV output independently to increase the gain.
I tried optical as well with same low level output requiring high volume setting on the amp.
Haven't found a tv setting that will output HDMI arc and let me raise the volume of the tv independently.
Is this the way it is, or have I missed a step?
Update:
I have noticed that the streaming video service has an impact on volume at the WiiM Amp.
Recently I watched some YouTube videos and the volume was nearly the same as streaming music directly from the Amp.
Other streaming and satellite TV have lower volume as mentioned above.
Not sure what that means but sharing anyway.

Update:
I have noticed that the streaming video service has an impact on volume at the WiiM Amp.
Recently I watched some YouTube videos and the volume was nearly the same as streaming music directly from the Amp.
Other streaming and satellite TV have lower volume as mentioned above.
Not sure what that means but sharing anyway.
Well, it means just that: Different digital sources either don't make use of the full dynamic range (which has a hard upper limit of 0 dB FS) or said sources are using less compression so the average level is lower. In any case, this is a matter of the source.

Last edited:
So at least the WiiM Amp does come with a dedicated, separate DSP chip, indeed?
To quote myself: No, it doesn't, not quite.

Amlogic A113 is a family of SoCs, based on 4 ARM Cortex-A53 cores, specifically designed to perform certain audio processing functions without the need for an external DSP chip. It was introduced in 2017. Not exactly a powerhouse, but obviously a decent unit.

Last edited:
Back