WiiM Pro Firmware v4.8.622165 Update - Jul 4, 2024

Android Tablets - that's the fun in that there are a countless number of them with almost every variation of internal hardware, external ports, physical sizes, add-on bloatware, and prices. Welcome to the land of Choice!!
I did a cursory look. I don’t want to spend a ton of money, and it looks like the Lenovo HD8, with an 8 inch display, might be a good fit for me.

LMS. Either install on your Nas, pc or pi

So much better than dnla it's not even close
Thanks for the advice, but I looked at LMS last year and decided it wasn't for me. My Synology NAS runs DSM 7, and apparently the only way to use LMS on it is in a Docker container. Looking at the instructions for doing that just made me roll my eyes.

Ditto for running a pi; I have enough hardware in the house...I don't need to add something else.

After 42 years in high tech (HP, Sun, Cisco) and with a degree in Computer Engineering, I simply have no desire these days to mess around with things that don't (mostly) work right out of the box. Life is too short.

WiiM didn't respond to you directly so I'd be surprised if they introduce functionality to queue multiple albums from an index, as it's actually quite a complicated task.

Just ignore @rccarguy. Unless you're using LMS and Android he thinks you're a moron.
Shuffle by album: One can only hope!

LMS and Android and morons: I looked at LMS last year and decided it wasn't for me. My Synology NAS runs DSM 7, and apparently the only way to use LMS on it is in a Docker container. Looking at the instructions for doing that just made me roll my eyes. After 42 years in high tech (HP, Sun, Cisco) and with a degree in Computer Engineering, I simply have no desire these days to mess around with things that don't (mostly) work right out of the box. Life is too short.

Sorry for the apparent duplication of my comments. They were to two separate posts from two different people, but I didn't realize they'd be displayed right next to each other. Beware the use of "Copy and Paste!"

And just another side note. I appreciate the fact that there are people who like to tinker and cobble together electronics and software at home to accomplish something they want in their life. More power to them! In my day, I have done that, too, and have received great satisfaction from doing it.

However, now that I'm solidly retired, I simply want my music to play the way I want it with as little hassle as possible. Pretty much the only thing I don't have right now with my Wiim and NAS setup is "Shuffle by album." I'm still irritated that something I had on my Audiotron 23 years ago can't be done by Wiim, and to be fair most others, today.

Right now, I'm putting all my electronics fiddling around time towards putting lighting with flicker effects in all the buildings on my backyard 1930's themed garden railroad, in addition to adding sounds to the buildings using small MP3 players and waterproof speakers. Way more satisfying for me that trying to install LMS in a Docker container!

Sorry for the apparent duplication of my comments. They were to two separate posts from two different people, but I didn't realize they'd be displayed right next to each other. Beware the use of "Copy and Paste!"

And just another side note. I appreciate the fact that there are people who like to tinker and cobble together electronics and software at home to accomplish something they want in their life. More power to them! In my day, I have done that, too, and have received great satisfaction from doing it.

However, now that I'm solidly retired, I simply want my music to play the way I want it with as little hassle as possible. Pretty much the only thing I don't have right now with my Wiim and NAS setup is "Shuffle by album." I'm still irritated that something I had on my Audiotron 23 years ago can't be done by Wiim, and to be fair most others, today.

Right now, I'm putting all my electronics fiddling around time towards putting lighting with flicker effects in all the buildings on my backyard 1930's themed garden railroad, in addition to adding sounds to the buildings using small MP3 players and waterproof speakers. Way more satisfying for me that trying to install LMS in a Docker container!
Docker is a mystery to me as well 🤣

Thanks for the advice, but I looked at LMS last year and decided it wasn't for me. My Synology NAS runs DSM 7, and apparently the only way to use LMS on it is in a Docker container. Looking at the instructions for doing that just made me roll my eyes.

Ditto for running a pi; I have enough hardware in the house...I don't need to add something else.

After 42 years in high tech (HP, Sun, Cisco) and with a degree in Computer Engineering, I simply have no desire these days to mess around with things that don't (mostly) work right out of the box. Life is too short.

I run LMS on my Notebook.
Download, install, run!
I had LMS for the past 10+ years. was always satisfied. Only reason for switching to WiiM was outage of a Squeezebox Touch.
WiiM works perfectly with LMS!
I can recommend it!

I run LMS on my Notebook.
Download, install, run!
I had LMS for the past 10+ years. was always satisfied. Only reason for switching to WiiM was outage of a Squeezebox Touch.
WiiM works perfectly with LMS!
I can recommend it!
My Synology NAS is my "always on" device. I don't want to have to depend on my PC running constantly to be a source for music.

Shuffle by album: One can only hope!

LMS and Android and morons: I looked at LMS last year and decided it wasn't for me. My Synology NAS runs DSM 7, and apparently the only way to use LMS on it is in a Docker container. Looking at the instructions for doing that just made me roll my eyes. After 42 years in high tech (HP, Sun, Cisco) and with a degree in Computer Engineering, I simply have no desire these days to mess around with things that don't (mostly) work right out of the box. Life is too short.

when you say "shuffle by album" do you mean play randomise a album, playing tracks in order? Or play a random album, with tracks in that album in random order? LMS can do both. Or play one track at random from one particular album then onto next one? Not sure if it can do that.

Attachments

• Screenshot (215).png
    Screenshot (215).png
    1 MB · Views: 8
I did a cursory look. I don’t want to spend a ton of money, and it looks like the Lenovo HD8, with an 8 inch display, might be a good fit for me.
Before you jump in with both feet I thought I'd show you how it could work with BubbleUPnP, on a phone.

After you've applied your Classical filter you'd click on the vertical ellipsis next to the [Jukebox Album Selection] and select Enqueue.

Enqueue.jpg

This adds the albums to the chosen renderers Playlist, where if you're in Album view you can Shuffle Albums (in Track view you can Shuffle Tracks).

Shuffle.jpg

If there's anything else you'd like confirmed just let me know.

when you say "shuffle by album" do you mean play randomise a album, playing tracks in order? Or play a random album, with tracks in that album in random order? LMS can do both. Or play one track at random from one particular album then onto next one? Not sure if it can do that.
Specifically, what I want to be able to do is:

--Select an artist (Beethoven), see a list of all the works (albums) I have, and press "shuffle" to play all of the albums (works) in a random order, with the tracks (movements) within each album (work) in their correct order. So you hear all of Symphony No. 4 in track (movement) order, followed by Symphony No. 9 with tracks in order, followed by Piano Concerto #1 with tracks in order.

Or...

--Select a genre (Classical) and then press "Shuffle Play". It would look at the entirety of my Classical genre, select a random album (work) by any artist (composer), play that album through in track (movement) order, and then choose another album (work) and play it. Sort of like a classical radio station that plays entire works!

So it's really your first statement "randomize an album, playing tracks in order."

I appreciate that LMS can do this, but that's a non-starter for me. Sorry!

Before you jump in with both feet I thought I'd show you how it could work with BubbleUPnP, on a phone.

After you've applied your Classical filter you'd click on the vertical ellipsis next to the [Jukebox Album Selection] and select Enqueue.

View attachment 8818

This adds the albums to the chosen renderers Playlist, where if you're in Album view you can Shuffle Albums (in Track view you can Shuffle Tracks).

View attachment 8819

If there's anything else you'd like confirmed just let me know.
Thanks for the explanation and screen shots! That looks very promising. So you're showing BubbleUPnP screen shots on an Android phone? I assume BUPnP runs on tablets, too? And does it have a specific landscape mode display?

Are you by any chance using Asset UPnP? The browse tree looks familiar…

Are you by any chance using Asset UPnP? The browse tree looks familiar…
The screenshot was from Asset, which I have a license for, but I use MinimServer.

Last year Asset introduced the ability to format tags which I make extensive use of in MinimServer, so now there's not a lot that separates them, except in your use case as MinimServer doesn't have the "Jukebox" (random album) functionality.

Whilst I don't have a tablet I have seen BubbleUPnP on one and it's the same as it is on a phone, so it can look a little sparse especially when browsing indexes. That was on a 10" so 8" might be the sweet spot.

The following screenshots are of BubbleUPnP in landscape mode on a phone, so look a little odd, but will hopefully give you some idea of what it will look like.

Devices.jpg

Library.jpg

NowPlaying.jpg

Back