Wiim Pro+ OPAMP replace

The discussion is the OP's... about his changing op amps and the improvement.
In his thread someone posted an article essentially saying there's no reason to do an op-amp change and a lot of reasons to consider not doing it. But it was essentially focused on everything sounding the same if it measured well enough, but also it mentioned the other factors before and after the op amp in the circuit which is seemingly very very valid that's why I'm forwarding it to the engineer tech who might make the op band change for me.

The discussion is the OP's... about his changing op amps and the improvement.
In his thread someone posted an article essentially saying there's no reason to do an op-amp change and a lot of reasons to consider not doing it. But it was essentially focused on everything sounding the same if it measured well enough, but also it mentioned the other factors before and after the op amp in the circuit which is seemingly very very valid that's why I'm forwarding it to the engineer tech who might make the op band change for me.
Opa1611 will probably be fine. However, a good second hand dac might give you better sound.
Thank you for that. That was a meaty read. I am going to consider it. Thank you kindly for posting it.

I have some doubts or at least concerns.

I got kicked off of audio science review, which I disagree with wholeheartedly and especially loathe the dickheads who moderate it so I generally don't agree with this viewpoint and especially that everything can be measured and quantified. For example there are recent psychoacoustic studies that have shown that areas in the brain light up when the ears are fed a 30,000 cycle pulse that do not light up when that pulse is absent. Explain that one If we understand all that is going on here.

1. A/D converters, D/A converters, amplifiers (including op-amps), preemplifiers that all measure well sound exactly the same, correct? That is the assertion of this article and the entire audio science review crowd. Am I correct?
- If that is true I challenge anyone of that viewpoint to get another well measuring amplifier or another digital to analog converter, preamp, put it in a system that they are used to, listening to music they are used to and tell me if it sounds exactly the same. Actually, one caveat, as I understand it Amir of ASR listens to one speaker sitting on top of a desk when he does his sound reviews That isn't a review of anything at least as a listening test. If you don't have a treated room and I don't mean expensive treatments but taking care and moving sh*t around to get rid of early reflections And if one doesn't have the speakers well away from the walls and carefully placed with reference to where you sit. If you're not taking soundstage into consideration then we don't really have anything to talk about, but ... With those things in place . That you can't tell the difference between these components is simply not the finding of many many people which I know are disrespected as audiofairies or unicorn lovers or whatever the hell...

Don't mistake my point though, mainly I want to say thank you for putting that up I appreciate you taking the concern. I read it I'm going to consider it and I'm even going to send it to the gentleman who is my tech and would do the op amp upgrade if I ask for it - The designer of the DAC I use, for his viewpoint. He has expensive test equipment he is an engineer And he is an audiofairy.
Dont pay to much attention to the people at ASR . Its a forum full of nocebo ( cant hear any difference of anything ) , and thats a sad statement. As you say, their loudspeaker reviews are flawed relying to much on measurements on only one speaker. Its a paradise for Toole lovers and Harman marketing geeks, but its not the place to be If you seek for advice for setting up a really good, two channel stereo sound in a normal room.
Many people havent had the opportunity to listen to really good two channel gear, in those cases, its really easy to fall for simple solutions like high SINAD and measurements on mono-speakers….
With that said, I really like the measurements made by onlyoneme and vintageflanker .

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. Agree wholeheartedly

Sacci,
After having some time are you pretty glad you did the 1611 upgrade ?

Thanks for your response. Agree wholeheartedly

Sacci,
After having some time are you pretty glad you did the 1611 upgrade ?
Zacci and not Sacci and yes, I think it was worth the change. I'm glad the WiiM sounds better now. Its sound became more natural (probably because the sound is not so scratchy) and the stage became bigger. But what stands out is the more natural sound, even if it's just background music. This is my subjective opinion.Because of the SMD soldering, I didn't risk using the sop8-dip8 converter, so I gave myself only one option.

Another Op Amp replacement, with measurements, just popped up.

Another Op Amp replacement, with measurements, just popped up.

Thank you...

Hi all, i just got my wiim pro + a week ago with thinking to reduce of using external DAC so my setup can be simpler. When i received my Wiim, the sound impression is ok not great compare to external DAC (Topping D30 pro) but after using LPS with Wiim the sound opened up. And when i looked at the Wiim pro+ dac implementation, its not basic design (should be better than smsl su1) So im thinking to mod the opamp to further push the performance of Wiim on the low / mid.

So Yesterday, i just replaced the opamp with opa627au. The job to replace is not easy although i have modified many circuits for many years. I will say i almost destroy the pcb due to lower quality of the PCB, in fact the opamp pin1 is pad is gone (i think is a NC pad so not important). Pad design also too small for good soldering

Now power up and play have no issue on both channels. My sound impression for modded wiim pro+, darker, cleaner & smooth sound, a tad more defined bass and fast.

I have not compare to external DAC. But im quite happy with the sound now.

Hi all, i just got my wiim pro + a week ago with thinking to reduce of using external DAC so my setup can be simpler. When i received my Wiim, the sound impression is ok not great compare to external DAC (Topping D30 pro) but after using LPS with Wiim the sound opened up. And when i looked at the Wiim pro+ dac implementation, its not basic design (should be better than smsl su1) So im thinking to mod the opamp to further push the performance of Wiim on the low / mid.

So Yesterday, i just replaced the opamp with opa627au. The job to replace is not easy although i have modified many circuits for many years. I will say i almost destroy the pcb due to lower quality of the PCB, in fact the opamp pin1 is pad is gone (i think is a NC pad so not important). Pad design also too small for good soldering

Now power up and play have no issue on both channels. My sound impression for modded wiim pro+, darker, cleaner & smooth sound, a tad more defined bass and fast.

Interesting.
Yes, in my opinion a good linear power supply makes the sound from the analog out better from WiiM pro and probably also for the + model. Thanks for the warning about the possibility to ruin the pcb when changing opamp.

Last edited:

what choice of method-technic for the removal-installation of the opa ? (hot air or not?)

Hello!

I recently bought a Wiim pro+ streamer and I want to get the most out of it. I replaced the factory rca cable, and a Topping P50 linear psu is on the way. I'm thinking about other tunning for the wiim pro plus. I want to replace the SE5534 opamps.
The options are:
OPA627
OPA1611
AD8065

Can any of them be inserted in place of 5534? Of course, if necessary, I would use a dip8/sop8 converter.

I welcome advice and constructive opinions.

My stereo system:
Onkyo Integra A8450 vintage amplifier, B&W DM602S1, original Audioquest speaker cable and Chinese fake Nordost odin rca :)

Sorry, my bad english! :(

br,
zacci
Good day,
so finally Topping linear psu also gave improvement or only opamp change?

Recently bought Wiim pro plus. As streamer it works flawless, software looks very good and intuitive, using Tidal connect and Chromecast without any glitches.
And sound.., it's acceptable, but there is some slightly noticeable sibilance (or some "layer" or color), especially on vocals it's easiest to catch.
Curious, but by simple portable dac (dual AK4377/RT6863 chip Ikko Heimdallr), which I use mainly for headphones with smartphone, gives slightly less brightness, cleaner stage, more laid back and comfortable sound, slightly better articulated low frequencies comparing to Wiim on same amp, speaker setup (Onkyo 9010/Elac DBR62).

what choice of method-technic for the removal-installation of the opa ? (hot air or not?)
Localise hotair is not available with me. Im using block tip to melt the 4 leads each side and quick move to another side to melt the other 4 leads, the IC will be removed after few times.

If i have to do again. I proabably cut the 8 leads and desolder each lead 1 by 1.

Interesting.
Yes, in my opinion a good linear power supply makes the sound from the analog out better from WiiM pro and probably also for the + model. Thanks for the warning about the possibility to ruin the pcb when changing opamp.
Worst case scenario, just add an external DAC. The outcome of replacement of opamp is never a better than to an external DAC. On par (smsl su1) probably the best of what i expected.

Hello!

I recently bought a Wiim pro+ streamer and I want to get the most out of it. I replaced the factory rca cable, and a Topping P50 linear psu is on the way. I'm thinking about other tunning for the wiim pro plus. I want to replace the SE5534 opamps.
The options are:
OPA627
OPA1611
AD8065

Can any of them be inserted in place of 5534? Of course, if necessary, I would use a dip8/sop8 converter.

I welcome advice and constructive opinions.

My stereo system:
Onkyo Integra A8450 vintage amplifier, B&W DM602S1, original Audioquest speaker cable and Chinese fake Nordost odin rca :)

Sorry, my bad english! :(

br,
zacci
Hi Zacci, thanks to your instructions I replaced the opamp with the OPA1611, the OPA627 was not available soon. The replacement was simple, let me start by saying that I work in the electronics field. and actually, I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not :D :D :D, the bass and treble seem significantly better than before and I, who am not an audiophile, can notice this...

To replace the opamp, without Hot Air, I proceeded in this way (in any case always and only on the opamp and never on the surrounding components):
- Soldering iron set in temperature at approximately 350°, electronic presses, desoldering braid, stiff brush or cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol
- Tin on both sides of the integrated circuit in order to form a short circuit between the pins, first trying to lift one side and then the next alternating until removing it so as not to heat the pads too much.
- Remove all the tin with the braid to clean the pitches. Once all the tin has been removed, clean the area with a stiff brush and isopropyl alcohol.
- A tin pin on one of the lateral pins and solder only one pin trying to center the integrated circuit.
- Once centered, solder all the pins, don't worry about making shorts with the solder.
- Remove excess tin with the braid
- Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol
- Check that all the pins are soldered, if not, add a little solder and then clean.
- Connect everything and enjoy listening :)

Hi Zacci, thanks to your instructions I replaced the opamp with the OPA1611, the OPA627 was not available soon. The replacement was simple, let me start by saying that I work in the electronics field. and actually, I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not :D :D :D, the bass and treble seem significantly better than before and I, who am not an audiophile, can notice this...

To replace the opamp, without Hot Air, I proceeded in this way (in any case always and only on the opamp and never on the surrounding components):
- Soldering iron set in temperature at approximately 350°, electronic presses, desoldering braid, stiff brush or cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol
- Tin on both sides of the integrated circuit in order to form a short circuit between the pins, first trying to lift one side and then the next alternating until removing it so as not to heat the pads too much.
- Remove all the tin with the braid to clean the pitches. Once all the tin has been removed, clean the area with a stiff brush and isopropyl alcohol.
- A tin pin on one of the lateral pins and solder only one pin trying to center the integrated circuit.
- Once centered, solder all the pins, don't worry about making shorts with the solder.
- Remove excess tin with the braid
- Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol
- Check that all the pins are soldered, if not, add a little solder and then clean.
- Connect everything and enjoy listening :)
Hi Kirkoff!

Congratulations!
I solved the exchange in a similar way. The 2 pcs 5534 and the panel are not damaged.I desoldered the 5534 in no time, cleaned the pads with braid and alcohol, then centered the 1611, soldered a pad and finalized the soldering. Panel cleaning and done. The whole operation took a few minutes. The work was easy for me. Silver-containing tin helps a lot in quality work. It's going really well.

The sound has become noticeably better. The overall picture is more natural. The high range of the 5534 was scratchy for me. That's gone now.

Since then, it has been doing its job perfectly in the company of a Topping P50.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
You're getting me interested in doing the op-amp upgrade. I had decided not to because of all the cautionary tales posted here.

Would this work on an older revision board? I bought mine in September 2023 I probably don't have the latest revision. I still don't understand how to figure out which revision I have.

Why the 1611 over all the other options, just curious? I don't know much about op amps and their relative sound signatures, but there are so many to choose from, why did you both settle on the 1611 ?

Thanks

Gentlemen,
You're getting me interested in doing the op-amp upgrade. I had decided not to because of all the cautionary tales posted here.

Would this work on an older revision board? I bought mine in September 2023 I probably don't have the latest revision. I still don't understand how to figure out which revision I have.

Why the 1611 over all the other options, just curious? I don't know much about op amps and their relative sound signatures, but there are so many to choose from, why did you both settle on the 1611 ?

Thanks
Ciao Brjoon, I have purcase the WiiM Pro Plus on Amazon the 08/09/2023 and have the correct revision... I think the V03 is the "sound" card version of the Wiim Pro Plus

Back