Wiim Transport

@Brantome I once promised to keep my heid. Together with my newly reached mellowness of age I will be able to succeed with it. But believe me, it isn't easy šŸ¤Ø

yup...it is a blind test. It sound brighter and slight improve in resolution. I do not believe there is difference in the first place but it surprise me after the test.
The brighter sound from the A6 can also depend on possible sample rate conversion on the spdif out , making the sound worse, and thypically might sound slightly brighter .

We have tested the WiiM pro as a digital transport ( using an Apple charger for the WiiM ) with an external dac against a Linn DS klimax streamer and they sounded very similar . We also discovered that the digital preamp volume control from spdif out is a very good sounding one in the WiiM pro. There is no audible worsening going from 0 dB ( full signal ) to - 20 dB If using an external dac. The WiiM pro is following the sample rate of the material without any SRC when using the digital volume control. This is also verified by measurements done by other people.

My Yamaha wxc50 in ā€preampā€ mode are sounding worse as a transport. Its audible, with a slightly brighter and harder sound. Its probably because its doing SRC with every material to 48 KHz. Using the Yamaha in ā€streamer modeā€ without any SRC going on, loosing the volume regulation from spdif out, it sounds better and exactly as the WiiM pro.

Stay away from places like Hans Beekhuyzen and Alpha audio. They earn their living promoting expensive gear.

Because of all disinformation on the net, I thought the WiiM pro was inferior to much more expensive transports , but it was not as our comparison with the Linn klimax streamer showed.

One tweak that works for the WiiM ā€¦ there are very small changes for the better in sound from the WiiM pro If a better power supply is used, like an 5 v Apple charger ( helmet on :) )
If you dont believe it, try.

Last edited:
The brighter sound from the A6 can also depend on possible sample rate conversion on the spdif out , making the sound worse, and thypically might sound slightly brighter .

We have tested the WiiM pro as a digital transport ( using an Apple charger for the WiiM ) with an external dac against a Linn DS klimax streamer and they sounded very similar . We also discovered that the digital preamp volume control from spdif out is a very good sounding one in the WiiM pro. There is no audible worsening going from 0 dB ( full signal ) to - 20 dB If using an external dac. The WiiM pro is following the sample rate of the material without any SRC when using the digital volume control. This is also verified by measurements done by other people.

My Yamaha wxc50 in ā€preampā€ mode are sounding worse as a transport. Its audible, with a slightly brighter and harder sound. Its probably because its doing SRC with every material to 48 KHz. Using the Yamaha in ā€streamer modeā€ without any SRC going on, loosing the volume regulation from spdif out, it sounds better and exactly as the WiiM pro.

Stay away from places like Hans Beekhuyzen and Alpha audio. They earn their living promoting expensive gear.

Because of all disinformation on the net, I thought the WiiM pro was inferior to much more expensive transports , but it was not as our comparison with the Linn klimax streamer showed.

One tweak that works for the WiiM ā€¦ there are very small changes for the better in sound from the WiiM pro If a better power supply is used, like an 5 v Apple charger ( helmet on :) )
If you dont believe it, try.
Very good input. I might need to try more.

I just recently add on LHY LPS and it does improve. Better presentation and slightly more open.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
What about a real challenge - the Pro Plus vs the same device but flipped upside down? The presentation might differ at least.

What about a real challenge - the Pro Plus vs the same device but flipped upside down? The presentation might differ at least.
Might try if have pro plusā€¦I think might be the same outcome because I just use it as transport.

Back