WiiM Ultra launch price

At what price would the WiiM Ultra be a compelling choice without sacrificing value?

• US $349, EUR 379, GBP 349

• US $399, EUR 429, GBP 399

• US $449, EUR 479, GBP 449

• Other - please specify price with currency in the comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The node is $550.
It doesn't have a screen, no phono input, no rca input.
The node x is $750.

Now, we don't know the specs of the wiim DAC, but it should at least be as good as the node.
The app and the support being better.

I see no reason why someone would by the bluesound (unless they're already invested) compared to the wiim, even if priced the same.

Bluesound node is $499. it goes on 450 as well.
If screen is not as big as eversolo, no need of it. App is good enough.
Bluesound has headphone jack, decent desktop.
Are we going to talk about clock?

Tell me now. If this is 399 then competition is fierce.

It also has a rather shitty DAC implementation and a ton of jitter at least according to ASR :) I never liked the BlueOS app, I much prefer the WiiM one. But yes, competition is there and it's a good thing

The bluesound is a $550 device.
The fact that it goes on sales for less does not make a difference in it's price.

The fact that you don't have a need for a screen has zero effect on the cost of it's addition.

The ultra also has a headphone jack.

The bluesound isn't competitive against a $400 wiim.

Well in that case wiim would also go on sale then... enjoy it at 350 then later. This is a catch up on bluesound node.

The screen logic is stupid. If that is not big, no need of it.

I like wiim for the value it gives, and it is coming due to price.

It also has a rather shitty DAC implementation and a ton of jitter at least according to ASR :) I never liked the BlueOS app, I much prefer the WiiM one. But yes, competition is there and it's a good thing
Totally agreed. Competition pressures on quality and price.

Besides comparing the Ultra with alternatives from other brands, I think that it should be evaluated against the other products by WiiM. Only doing this we would also take into account the price strategy implemented by the company itself (at least a little bit). In terms of features and engineering complexity the Ultra would be not distant from the WiiM Amp so I expect the price in the same order of magnitude or even a little bit cheaper

Besides comparing the Ultra with alternatives from other brands, I think that it should be evaluated against the other products by WiiM. Only doing this we would also take into account the price strategy implemented by the company itself (at least a little bit). In terms of features and engineering complexity the Ultra would be not distant from the WiiM Amp so I expect the price in the same order of magnitude or even a little bit cheaper

Using that approach, you need to remove the amp from the equation.

There’s a fairly linear line through the other streamers: Mini - Pro - Pro Plus, as more connectors, better DACs, etc. are added. The Amp with its amplification section sort of muddies the waters if used as a direct reference on that tend line, though looking at it after you’ve finished with the others isn’t too problematic.

Mini £90
Pro £150
Pro Plus £220

Then Amp £320…minus £80 for the amplification, maybe £240?

Add a screen and better DAC, that’s where we’re guessing, because we’ve no idea as to which DAC, or how much work has been put into it.

I mean Topping do DACs starting at £90 but going all the way up to £900. So without knowing anything about the new DAC, we really are guessing.

Using that approach, you need to remove the amp from the equation.

There’s a fairly linear line through the other streamers: Mini - Pro - Pro Plus, as more connectors, better DACs, etc. are added. The Amp with its amplification section sort of muddies the waters if used as a direct reference on that tend line, though looking at it after you’ve finished with the others isn’t too problematic.

Mini £90
Pro £150
Pro Plus £220

Then Amp £320…minus £80 for the amplification, maybe £240?

Add a screen and better DAC, that’s where we’re guessing, because we’ve no idea as to which DAC, or how much work has been put into it.

I mean Topping do DACs starting at £90 but going all the way up to £900. So without knowing anything about the new DAC, we really are guessing.
This is surely meaningful and works for the most part. I just think that, besides the lineup linearity and the features provided, it is also a matter of how much it takes to engineer the product. The Amp provides a hint of the cost impact of integrating a "difficult" feature, because it needs a "power" section with all the consequences. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody from WiiM tells us that it was easier to design the Ultra than the Amp.

If it sounds better, I’m willing to pay the highest price. Because everything else on the market is still more expensive. I hope they don’t worry so much about the dac set and worry more about a better analog output stage and how many digital inputs, especially one USB. And I hope they don’t waste time and money on a screen.

If it sounds better, I’m willing to pay the highest price. Because everything else on the market is still more expensive. I hope they don’t worry so much about the dac set and worry more about a better analog output stage and how many digital inputs, especially one USB. And I hope they don’t waste time and money on a screen.
You're late to the party, the screen is pretty much confirmed and can be seen in the renders found here:

The screen logic is stupid. If that is not big, no need of it.

Since everyone's needs regarding a screen are not the same (needed/not needed, large/small, etc), I'm not sure what you are arguing about. Your particular use/need case may differ from that of others, or for that matter what WiiM perceives to be the most popular among a broad range of buyers.

Created an account just to vote on this.

$349 is a bit high based upon the hints at specs I've seen. The beta firmware to use a mobile app for room correction is a gimmick. The screen, I get it, it's an alsoran proposition. As long as it can been turned off because I don't want the light from it in my living room I'm not fussed either way. Your app is already awesome, focus on unlocking incremental tweaking there instead of a screen.

$399 if you included balanced outputs. WiiM has some great streaming for the price, but compare to the Topping D50 III going for $230, this is the competition sound wise. If you added the streaming to that, I would gladly pay $399.

$449, not just 1/4" balanced out, but full XLR. Given the art already published I don't see how that is physically possible though to so. And for this price point I would want to see 2.0/2.5 volts on RCA out, and 4/5 volts on balanced, selectable of course!

The only other way I can see $449 being a valid price point is to have the room correction code built directly into the unit, include a microphone and a dedicated plug for it with a 20 foot wire, that's value. This is also very practical, I mean you can get basic 5.1 Onkyo integrated units for $449 for years now with exactly this. Can't stream to it's not apples to apples though of course, also quite frankly sound quality is better with WiiM too!

All that being said, really l looking forward to you guys doing a successful launch on Thursday in Munich and seeing the embargoed reviews flood out. Keep making great products!

Why are so many people worried about balanced outposts in home. It’s not needed for improved sound
I'm not worried, but I know the difference first hand. A DAC/pre-amp playing a high quality song going out to a fully balanced amp has an audible (less audible?) noise floor. It's absolutely easy to discern.

It's worse the longer your cable runs are, but even with short runs close to power cables and equipment with integrated power supplies, it's noticable.

I didn't believe it myself until saw/heard it demonstrated. It's not mind blowing, but it's the difference between a good stereo, and an audiophile quality sound stage.

I'm not worried, but I know the difference first hand. A DAC/pre-amp playing a high quality song going out to a fully balanced amp has an audible (less audible?) noise floor. It's absolutely easy to discern.

It's worse the longer your cable runs are, but even with short runs close to power cables and equipment with integrated power supplies, it's noticable.

I didn't believe it myself until saw/heard it demonstrated. It's not mind blowing, but it's the difference between a good stereo, and an audiophile quality sound stage.
I thought that too. But when I tried my Pro plus directly into my Apollon NCx500 instead of via the (balanced) Topping D70 Pro DAC, I honestly couldn't hear any noise, nor really any significant difference in sound. Neither could my partner (maybe a *hint* of something made her actually slightly prefer without the DAC, could just be different filters between the two)

To be clear, when discussing the Pro Plus and saying it has a transparent DAC, that doesn’t mean the DAC chip is transparent. It means the Pro Plus is transparent.

Measurements are made using a digital input of signal, then comparing the out put from the Pro Plus’ analogue outs. So it includes the analogue output stage - WiiM already have this cracked.

I thought that too. But when I tried my Pro plus directly into my Apollon NCx500 instead of via the (balanced) Topping D70 Pro DAC, I honestly couldn't hear any noise, nor really any significant difference in sound. Neither could my partner (maybe a *hint* of something made her actually slightly prefer without the DAC, could just be different filters between the two)
this is indeed a precaution to take during these comparisons..but overall the dacs of this type offer each other quite similar options...you can with "plus" *
make your teenagers-20en work..see your teenagers-20en so well trained in the classical music on acoustic instruments that they know well
;-)

*if the option is not offered on certain dacs, or even many old dacs, it is quite easy to observe the option taken..
this is an important subject which has always been underlying concerning DACs, which has become obvious to everyone with the arrival of very general public DACs offering these choices...

Last edited:
Why are so many people worried about balanced outposts in home. It’s not needed for improved sound
Quite a lot of 2 channel audio systems employ monoblock power amps that typically provide XLR inputs, which are optimal for noise rejection and signal gain. If the Ultra is trying to be a sort of be-all, end-all streaming preamp, WiiM will want to appeal to that pretty important consumer segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back