WiiM Ultra & WiiM Amp

Cal_Cobra

I've been using the Ultra now for about a month I guess, and about two weeks ago though a stroke of good fate a WiiM Amp landed my way. Already being familiar with how the Ultra worked, and the WiiM Home app, using the WiiM Amp was like fish to water! Overall I like the Amp, the streamer integration into the amp and the Home app are [mostly] brilliant! The amp itself is, imho, more of a beginner or nearfield amp. It's not that it cannot power semi power hungry speakers, but it lacks headroom and stage. I've used a variety of amps now with the Ultra, the Aiyima T9 Pro, FX-Audio- L07 and my coveted darTZeel NHB-108 reference design Transaudio amp to compare with the WiiM Amp, and I'd put the WiiM amp power wise on par with the Aiyima T9 Pro. Not that that's a bad thing, but I feel it's more of an entry level amp with great streaming capabilities! One other thing, it would kill them to put some kind of small display on the front (of course with the ability to go dark), but as an integrated amp it has a use case. The Ultra DAC sounds noticibly better than the WiiM Amp DAC IMHO.

The Ultra DAC sounds noticibly better than the WiiM Amp DAC IMHO.
How did you compare those? The WiiM amp doesn't feature a line output.

The Ultra sports the newer DAC design, so generally speaking nobody should be surprised by its quality. But there ain't no apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:
I've been using the Ultra now for about a month I guess, and about two weeks ago though a stroke of good fate a WiiM Amp landed my way. Already being familiar with how the Ultra worked, and the WiiM Home app, using the WiiM Amp was like fish to water! Overall I like the Amp, the streamer integration into the amp and the Home app are [mostly] brilliant! The amp itself is, imho, more of a beginner or nearfield amp. It's not that it cannot power semi power hungry speakers, but it lacks headroom and stage. I've used a variety of amps now with the Ultra, the Aiyima T9 Pro, FX-Audio- L07 and my coveted darTZeel NHB-108 reference design Transaudio amp to compare with the WiiM Amp, and I'd put the WiiM amp power wise on par with the Aiyima T9 Pro. Not that that's a bad thing, but I feel it's more of an entry level amp with great streaming capabilities! One other thing, it would kill them to put some kind of small display on the front (of course with the ability to go dark), but as an integrated amp it has a use case. The Ultra DAC sounds noticibly better than the WiiM Amp DAC IMHO.

That's exactly what the WiiM Amp was created for, a 1st ticket entrance to the hifi world while checking a lot of boxes and with an unbeatable price and build quality. Of course its not made to compete with A/B class Amplifiers but it does a really good job at pairing with most speakers and delivering good enough SQ for most of us.

Of course the WiiM portfolio is constantly evolving, so its logical that the DAC in the Ultra (launched a month ago) is an improvement form the Amps which was introduced almost a year ago.

How does it lack headroom? It has been designed so clipping is impossible. What does lacking headroom sound like?

I'm also intrigued a to what entry level sounds like? What measurement have you taken to indicate this?

Thank you @Cal_Cobra for your impressions. I have the Amp and am still on the fence regarding “upgrading” to the Ultra. Good to hear that there are improvements to be expected.

I know that the Ultra has a phono input, ate there any reviews with measurements on this? It might replace a Cambridge Duo. Also is that phono input digitalised so it can utilise the DSP?

Ultra is installed and running. I've got into a right mess now with the sub and need some help with the most effective method for setting it up.
Sub is on, I had the subs own settings to 50% volume and 75Hz x-over.
Ran a room correction and the sub was out control, even after a 6dB LS from 75Hz it's overpowering. So I dropped the x-over to 55Hz in the app so the my mains had a bit more input, but it's still a bit ott, so knocked the sub back by 4dB in the Wiim app.
So I've got the volume levelling sorted ish (still not as good as it was with the pro plus yet).
Next challenge and the real question, what's the best way to set the latency? My sub is further from my mains so I'm adjusting their latency. It's obvious when you overdo it, but trying to do it by ear is rather random, there must be a more systematic way.

Last edited:
I think I've discovered why. I use Ultra in fixed volume mode, because I want my amp to manage SPL, so I use the Ultra (as I did with the PP) as a fixed level line in. When I change the volume of the analogue power amp, Wiim isn't changing the volume of the sub. This is painfully close, I can do dsp on all my inputs including phono but I'd have to run an RC sweep every time I change the listening volume on my amp. I can see amp is the answer, but it's just not good enough yet. Going to have to return Ultra and wait for Ultra amp I think.

The big question is: Why?
Already moved on, the answer is I've realised that Ultra needs to be used as a preamp, not a line in like the pro plus.
I'm already searching for a suitable class D amp that will probably be better than the Yamaha anyway.

EDIT: to answer your question because i already have the Yamaha, and I like it a lot. To use the Ultra to its max benefit means I have to change the amp, which is another pita rabbit hole, but we're here now.

Last edited:
How, well does the headphone output perform? My reference is a JDS element 2.
There are a few threads on headphone experiences.
For an all in one at this price it's competent, better than I expected, but improvements can certainly be had for not a lot of cash in a separate hp amp'dac.
Personally, I thought ultra optical out to a Fiio K11 sounded significantly better.
(Not the r2r k11, not tried that. Yet.)

There are a few threads on headphone experiences.
For an all in one at this price it's competent, better than I expected, but improvements can certainly be had for not a lot of cash in a separate hp amp'dac.
Personally, I thought ultra optical out to a Fiio K11 sounded significantly better.
(Not the r2r k11, not tried that. Yet.)
OK, sounds like I won't be getting rid of the Element 2 anytime soon then....

Back