WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Man, you have a lot of time on your hand questioning others about their thoughts on the product. Let me remind you this is a forum where we express our thoughts.
Let's not make more out of this than it was - a simple question as to why the OP though the Amp Pro was a disappointment.

Both products support Dolby Audio and will downmix 5.1 audio to 2.1 when using a single device. We are developing a feature to output satellite channels to separate speakers, effectively creating a 4.1 system when the devices are grouped together.
It's a feature we've been talking about here for a few times.
Good luck making it happen.
Thank you.🤗

Man, you have a lot of time on your hand questioning others about their thoughts on the product. Let me remind you this is a forum where we express our thoughts.

This is a public forum. If someone comes to it with an opinion, but give absolutely no reason for that opinion, I think it's to be expected that someone asks.

Do the new devices -- WiiM Ultra & WiiM Amp Pro -- support Squeezebox emulation like the Pro/Pro Plus? Thanks.

I have mini, pro and amp but I will think if I need to upgrade or use that money to buy me some modelo.

... and maybe increased the DC voltage rail ...
Obviously not, since power output remains the same.

I think it's SNR, not SINAD.
According to digitaltrends.com SINAD is given as 105 dB, which sounds excellent to me for an AIO amp.

How significant is this pffb related to actual sound?
That depends a lot on your speakers. It's also responsible for better SINAD, if you think the original WiiM Amp has been lacking here at 98 dB.

I don't recall any indication that the Ultra was going to include an amp section in all the chat we've have
Exactly. That's the reason why many have been hoping for the Ultra to be accompanied by a pure power amplifier with matching design and higher power output than the WiiM Amp.

I'm fine with the known features and specs for the Ultra. I also like what they've come up with as the Amp Pro.

But a) a visually matching power amp for the Ultra is still missing and b) some will feel that the WiiM Amp should have been the Amp Pro from the very beginning.

I don't think Linkplay will ever make a pure amp in the future...

Did you call me?🤣😭
Yes, I did. ;)

Having said the above, I'm still very happy with having replaced the Pioneer network amplifier in my bedroom with the WiiM Amp at what was finally a surcharge of just 130€. It does a fine job.

And it was essentially cheap enough to hand it over in the family and go for an Ultra or Amp Pro at Christmas time. 🤪

we have an important answer...
ES9038 Q2M
Great if you can put a Sparkos opamp in the output stage (Aune X8), but the es9039q2m is better (dual in the small D6s and DO100 pro)

Great if you can put a Sparkos opamp in the output stage (Aune X8), but the es9039q2m is better (dual in the small D6s and DO100 pro)
but without judging the interest or relevance..you can also do this kind of manipulation sparcos or co on the output "5534" of a "plus" and its akm..

Do you think the Sabre ES9038Q2M DAC in the Wiim Ultra is a real improvement over the AKM 4493SEQ DAC present in the Wiim Pro Plus (SINAD -114 db in the Audio Science Review measurements)?
The AKM is more recent, but it all depends greatly on implementation. Maybe Linkplay has partnered with Sabre. I am also thinking this is a cost issue. Older generation chips will be cheaper to acquire.

So, the ULTRA obviously needs an amp to be of any use. The Amp Pro can run as an amp and a streamer. Gotcha.

But does the Amp Pro not make the ULTRA a little redundant, unless you really want the screen? Is it in any other way better than the Amp Pro, sonically or in functionality?

Personally I feel like having the two stacked in one setup would look a bit silly, with two volume knobs, where I only need one. Maybe Fosi V3 Mono blocks and the Ultra will be my choice. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why do you think that? I understand there are lots of alternatives but some people like matching components, me included.👍

My opinion is as I wrote here. 🙂

When I think about what kind of company they are, I can't associate it with pure audio.

Back